Cigarbox 5 weeks out of the humidor

Hello!

I bought a beautiful box of montecristo no. 1 from our host. Unfortunately the swedish costums decided to open the parcel and leave it for a month before they felt it was time to send it to me(they also charged me over 60$).

So now they are a bit dry :(

can I do anything to save them?

Another question:

is it ok to store cigar boxes "standing up" in the humidor?

MC#1, That’s a nice box of cigars. How do the cigars feel when you give them a little squeeze? If they are still somewhat  supple put them away with your other cigars for a few months before you smoke one. I’m less confidant about what to dip if the cigars are dry to the point of being brittle.

• Like 1

In my experience, a month is not too long typically (depending on the conditions) since cigars are pretty resilient. I've had my fair share of dried-out cigars (usually gifts) and I usually just put the box of cigars in a cooler by itself so it's not having to compete with a 1000+ other cigars in my humidor for moisture along with 1 or 2 Boveda packs (65 or 69 rh) for about 30 days and then reassess the situation. 

• Like 1

Common advice on the site says to slowly increase Rh. So maybe start with low boveda and every month or so increase to 62-65? I wouldn’t want to shock them and ruin a beautiful box by cracking all the wrappers. My 2 cents.

• Like 1

You may find that they have been dry boxed perfectly :D

If you run your humidor at 65 RH (or thereabouts).....throw them right in. No problem putting them in standing up.  best to ensure it is cap side down. 

• Like 3

If they’re not cracked or flaking now, they haven’t been subject to conditions that were harmful to them in transit. Put them in your humidor. The cigars will hydrate themselves at a safe rate. 5 weeks is not enough time to dry the oils that affect their taste. Just let them sit for a couple of months and they will be just fine  

If they have cracks or are damaged now, there is no “special procedure” that will correct them. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, dobbs said:

would not have guessed this, thanks, but why? concern for damaged feet, or?

-dobbs

Just damaged feet. Small risk.

If belis or torps....i would do the opposite

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I've had longer hang ups than a month and done just fine.  I'll wager a few months and you'll be lovin' on them.  

My record was one year on Monte 2.  Lost in the mail and replaced.  Then they showed up a whole damn year later.  Bizarre.  Even though they had virtually petrified, I figured I had nothing to lose and gave them about a year in the humi to see what would happen.  YUK.  Wasted effort.  Even my no-account-cheap-bastard-friends winced . . .  and they would smoke an Acid if they got it for free.  So I can testify that the one-year mark and you're hosed.  I have no interest in running an experiment to see what the breakpoint is -- but I got the one-year mark covered for you.  You're welcome.  ?  

• Like 1

... smoke one now! Might be the best cigar you ever had.

Never assume a cigar is either good or bad. If it cracked and structurally damaged it is game over. If it is not game over, it is game on!

Cheers! -Piggy

• Like 4

2 hours ago, AbasCigar said:

Thank you everyone for your motivational comments lol, you're the best?

I'll smoke one today :2thumbs:

Please report back and let the forum know how it smoked! ?

• Like 1