Air purifier for smoking room in an apartment?

I’m currently in the process of moving into a new apartment and one of the units that I’m looking at allows smoking inside the units.

If I get this unit I’m considering using the second bedroom as a smoking room and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions about an air purifier for that room so the smell doesn’t linger too much.

Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with a purifier (or another option)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

*I don't know if anyone can chime in on this:  whenever I enjoy my fine Havana seegars I always have a stick of incense (generally from India) burning while at it. I can have 3 cigars back to back...there is no lingering "cigar smell" or trace in the very small room I smoke it. Just mentioning my results here for anyone's use or try-out if you like. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

*I don't know if anyone can chime in on this:  whenever I enjoy my fine Havana seegars I always have a stick of incense (generally from India) burning while at it. I can have 3 cigars back to back...there is no lingering "cigar smell" or trace in the very small room I smoke it. Just mentioning my results here for anyone's use or try-out if you like. 
Agreed. Using various bakhoors to remove the stale cigar smell. I still need some way to move the smoke away from me. I don't enjoy hot boxing cigars.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

I have the rabbit air and love it.  Expensive but good with recent air quality from fires and great for cigar smell too.  Never used inside a house but for shed and garage.  The dream is to make a basement lounge but that will require time and money.

Just make sure the rooms not carpeted and seal off the door well

• Like 1

I have the IQAir HealthPro Plus which is likely overkill for a room but I also have allergies so the dual purpose made the high price worthwhile. 

• 1 month later...

For some reason, i never received the notifications from this post on mobile, and just saw the responses. I ended up purchasing a blue air 411? air purifier from best buy, and that will be staying in the smoking room and will be running during a smoke and for some time after (still have plenty of research to do to determine the proper amount of time it will need to be left on. I also have a significantly larger capacity purifier for the rest of my apartment that runs all day long so hopefully that will help. I certainly like the idea of the incense sticks and will be giving that a try as well.

• 4 months later...

Congrats on purchase, Nick!

I'm a big Blueair fan (we use Classic 605), but from my experience Honeywell and IQAir are good too (in case someone still following this topic). The main issue with Blueair is the cost of new filters. But you need to change them like two times a year.

When I was living in an apartment, I was trying to keep my smoking room odorless, and it was quite tricky, but here are some thoughts I'd like to share. Unfortunately, if you want to control the smell, you also need to keep this room as clean as possible.

Some things you can't control:
1) No control over central heating (especially in older buildings)
2) Can't remove pollution sources in other parts of the building
3) Sometimes can't increase ventilation due to living in inner city with lots of outdoor pollution

What you can control and it really helps:
1) Frequency of vacuuming
2) Opening windows to increase ventilation (if this is feasible)
3) Getting rid of dust sources like old furniture and clothing etc. As smoke gets into the cushioning and fabric.

And another trick from missus to get any lingering smells off the walls and floors. Get a bucket of warm water, add a touch of soap, and like a cup of ammonia. Mix it all up and use a soft sponge to gently wipe the walls and surfaces. It helps to eliminate the smell, and this way we kept our second bedroom crystal clean.

I have a carriage house where I keep my wood shop. My cigar area of the shop sits next to a window where I install a box fan to blow outside. The cigar ashtray sits next to the fan.  This keeps the place smoke-free and works great except when I get a strong north wind in winter.

• Like 1

Hopefully not running while you're in the same room ...

That’s what I was going to say.

I use a Rabbit Air which has a filter system that includes a Carbon filter but I also use an exhaust fan with a carbon filter. My smoking area is separate from my house. It has been working great for 3 years now and I only replaced the filter once on the Rabbit Air.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cigar Surgeon said:

Or the lung cancer...

That too.  Just not a fan of them at all.  Getting the smoke out of the room is the best bet.  Less residual smoke in the room, less stinky.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2019 at 1:16 PM, jeremiep89 said:

but I also use an exhaust fan with a carbon filter.

Why?  Want to rid the outside of the cigar smoke?  Doesn't do any good for the inside.  The only reason for an exhaust fan with a carbon filter is for people growing pot indoors.  Reduces  the outside smell of your operation for your neighbors.

Why?  Want to rid the outside of the cigar smoke?  Doesn't do any good for the inside.  The only reason for an exhaust fan with a carbon filter is for people growing pot indoors.  Reduces  the outside smell of your operation for your neighbors.

It just came as a kit, I don’t see the need for the carbon filter for external filtration. My friend who owns a hydroponic shop hooked up the system as a favor.

I have these two IQAir units for my garage when I smoke in the winter.  They are incredible.  2 is definitely overkill though. 1 would be more than sufficient.

88BB1596-EACF-404F-A067-20DC74FB9468.thumb.jpeg.de53451d50fda6aa26d3afe889a15549.jpeg

778B0556-6E84-44D0-B7AD-03B91477A3F9.thumb.jpeg.96ba61f0749eeb7728e7abdea5a88f0d.jpeg

Here is a YouTube video where the president of the company enters a small chamber, and they fire smoke granades into the chamber with him, and he is fine breathing the air coming right out of the filter.  It clears the chamber of smoke in seconds.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cagRuiyAsio

With a carbon filter you do not have to exhaust the cleaned air outside.  Most folks, including airlines and indoor growers, use a technique commonly known as 'air scrubbing' where the fan sucks dirty air into the filter which then puts the clean air back into the room.  It works like a charm.  When we used to be able to smoke on planes this technique kept those small cabins from smelling like dirty ash trays.

On 10/13/2019 at 2:08 PM, Monterey said:

I've seen 1 Rabbit Air handle a room full of 24 smokers.  :D This of course decreased the life span of the filters significantly, but it works.  If it's just you mostly smoking. 1 set of filters should last 6-12 months.  The units continually sense the air until the smoke is gone/scrubbed and then turns itself off.