Air purifier for smoking room in an apartment?

13 minutes ago, bundwallah said:

I've seen 1 Rabbit Air handle a room full of 24 smokers.  :D This of course decreased the life span of the filters significantly, but it works.  If it's just you mostly smoking. 1 set of filters should last 6-12 months.  The units continually sense the air until the smoke is gone/scrubbed and then turns itself off. 

The Rabbit is actually a poor unit.  Per their description:

• Traps allergen and particles 0.3 microns in size at 99.97% efficiency

Smoke drops down to .1 micron.  The blueair smokestop filter is one of the few that actually filters out smoke.  Though this other filter mentioned above with a guy getting smoked out sounds like another filter that probably works.  Might look into that one.  

But the Rabbit by it's very own description is not a good filter.  You may not see the smoke, but it is there.   The blueair filter is half the cost and actually works.  More of a budget friendly filter for the rest of us.  I have the 203 version with the added smokestop filter (another 100 bucks).   Good unit.

16 hours ago, Monterey said:

Smoke drops down to .1 micron.  The blueair smokestop filter is one of the few that actually filters out smoke.  Though this other filter mentioned above with a guy getting smoked out sounds like another filter that probably works.  Might look into that one.  

But the Rabbit by it's very own description is not a good filter.  You may not see the smoke, but it is there.   The blueair filter is half the cost and actually works.  More of a budget friendly filter for the rest of us.  I have the 203 version with the added smokestop filter (another 100 bucks).   Good unit.

I have a Rabbit Air (multiple units through out the house).  Both of these units will filter out smoke as its not just particle size that matters.  The activated carbon filters are what absorb the smoke either way and thats where things like smoke, VOCs, etc get filtered out.  I personally went with rabbit air as they are very quite, I like the design and look and they are hangable on the wall.  You can get them for 20% off from Famous Smoke Shop as their coupons generally work on rabbit air products.  Brings down the sting quite a bit.

I've been very happy with them so far.  If you smoke somewhere that has a lot of things that can absorb smoke (e.g., curtains, fabric furniture, etc) you will get some residual smoke smell that takes about a day to go away if your room is fully enclosed.  Otherwise, its extremely effective.  Just be sure to empty your ashtray as that will continue to stink up the place no matter how many filters you have.

I use an air scrubber designed for grow rooms, (don’t grow though). The only place inside my house that I really want to smoke is in my office, at my desk while working. These are cheap and effective. The set up cost me $75 from Amazon. If you go this route, make sure to get a fan with variable speed control which will allow you to keep the noise down. Not super pretty like a wall hanging rabbit air, but, I kind of like the industrial look.

74FAD2F1-1829-40BF-8B61-889E088AC176.thumb.jpeg.35ba7fd73aac8560da1fc4a3e7a19429.jpeg

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, KnightsAnole said:

I use an air scrubber designed for grow rooms, (don’t grow though). The only place inside my house that I really want to smoke is in my office, at my desk while working. These are cheap and effective. The set up cost me $75 from Amazon. If you go this route, make sure to get a fan with variable speed control which will allow you to keep the noise down. Not super pretty like a wall hanging rabbit air, but, I kind of like the industrial look.

74FAD2F1-1829-40BF-8B61-889E088AC176.thumb.jpeg.35ba7fd73aac8560da1fc4a3e7a19429.jpeg

I really like the idea of using an air scrubber! I also live in the apartment, but cannot add external fan like window fan since the owner doesn't allow me to add it. Is there any idea for purifying the air after puffing cigars in my room (I'm thinking about using affordable and excellent air scrubber like KnightsAnole's, bakhoor or incense combo)? There are some air purifier manufacturers like IQAir, but they are being sold at extremely high price (still gaining budget for Coolidor project, so can't afford super pricey air purifiers)...

1660904697_CigarCave1.thumb.jpg.9a96147826c4eb93663a805aa1e185b6.jpg810224392_CigarCave2.thumb.jpg.7f8327e19d5900bf41a046f3d04a2cc3.jpg

@LonesomeHabanoAficionado I also use an air wick which is battery operated and automatically releases a spray of deodorizer every 1/2 hour or so and occasionally some incense. After I leave the room, I will turn the the fan up to max and leave running for at least a few hours. I could add a timer I suppose but havent really felt the need to as of now.

• Thanks 1

[mention=29444]LonesomeHabanoAficionado[/mention] I also use an air wick which is battery operated and automatically releases a spray of deodorizer every 1/2 hour or so and occasionally some incense. After I leave the room, I will turn the the fan up to max and leave running for at least a few hours. I could add a timer I suppose but havent really felt the need to as of now.
Thanks! Can you please tell me the manufacturer of your air scrubber and air wick? I'll definitely look into them on Amazon.

나의 SM-N950N 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄

3 minutes ago, LonesomeHabanoAficionado said:

Thanks! Can you please tell me the manufacturer of your air scrubber and air wick? I'll definitely look into them on Amazon.

yep the fan is made by Vivosun (I got a refurbished one for $37) and the filter is from GHydro paid $35. there are many manufacturers and they look to be all more or less the same. Air wick is the name of the brand.

• Thanks 1

yep the fan is made by Vivosun (I got a refurbished one for $37) and the filter is from GHydro paid $35. there are many manufacturers and they look to be all more or less the same. Air wick is the name of the brand.
Thanks buddy! I really need'em so much, since my mum complains about cigar smell a lot!!

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 10/10/2019 at 5:42 AM, komodo said:

Congrats on purchase, Nick!

I'm a big Blueair fan (we use Classic 605), but from my experience Honeywell and IQAir are good too (in case someone still following this topic). The main issue with Blueair is the cost of new filters. But you need to change them like two times a year.

When I was living in an apartment, I was trying to keep my smoking room odorless, and it was quite tricky, but here are some thoughts I'd like to share. Unfortunately, if you want to control the smell, you also need to keep this room as clean as possible.

Some things you can't control:
1) No control over central heating (especially in older buildings)
2) Can't remove pollution sources in other parts of the building
3) Sometimes can't increase ventilation due to living in inner city with lots of outdoor pollution

What you can control and it really helps:
1) Frequency of vacuuming
2) Opening windows to increase ventilation (if this is feasible)
3) Getting rid of dust sources like old furniture and clothing etc. As smoke gets into the cushioning and fabric.

And another trick from missus to get any lingering smells off the walls and floors. Get a bucket of warm water, add a touch of soap, and like a cup of ammonia. Mix it all up and use a soft sponge to gently wipe the walls and surfaces. It helps to eliminate the smell, and this way we kept our second bedroom crystal clean.

I’m thinking of a Blueair unit to allow me to smoke in my newly created reading room but as this is upstairs I wondered how effective it was at keeping down the smell for you. No carpets, all wood floors so I think that will help.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Webbo said:

I’m thinking of a Blueair unit to allow me to smoke in my newly created reading room but as this is upstairs I wondered how effective it was at keeping down the smell for you. No carpets, all wood floors so I think that will help.  

I created a youtube clip (it was for someone else, has like 8 hits, I'm a SUPER STAR!) of me using the blueair 203 over numerous days.   If you want to watch an awful review and poor video production, let me know and I'll shoot you the link.  In the end, the unit with the smokestop filter was very successful.  I was quite pleased.  Though I also had a vent.  My smoke area was an indoor heated shop.  Wood walls and ceiling, cement floor.  

16 minutes ago, Monterey said:

I created a youtube clip (it was for someone else, has like 8 hits, I'm a SUPER STAR!) of me using the blueair 203 over numerous days.   If you want to watch an awful review and poor video production, let me know and I'll shoot you the link.  In the end, the unit with the smokestop filter was very successful.  I was quite pleased.  Though I also had a vent.  My smoke area was an indoor heated shop.  Wood walls and ceiling, cement floor.  

Would be great to see, thanks 

I just found an upgrade version of @KnightsAnole's air carbon filter (Hexagonal Hole with 1200+ RC48 Activated Charcoal Prefilter) on Amazon, but its manufacturer suggests using an air scrubber fan larger than 255 CFM on Q&A section. Will it be okay to use this air carbon filter and VIVOSUN 4″ Inline Duct Fan With Variable Speed Controller?

On 10/15/2019 at 1:02 PM, Monterey said:

The IQAir prohealth says it goes down to 0.003 microns.  So yes, it probably works.  

I was looking at replacement filters for it, and it has some serious equipment inside those casings.

IQAir New Edition HealthPro air purifiers rule supreme as the top-rated air purifier in the industry. While most HEPA air purifiers claim to be effective at capturing particles down to 0.3 microns, IQAir's revolutionary HyperHEPA filtration system is proven to capture particles 100 times smaller, down to 0.003 microns; 10 times smaller than a virus. These ultra-fine particles are actually the most harmful to your health and represent 90% of the air pollution we breathe. If you want proven protection against the smallest and most dangerous particles in the air, IQAir is the only choice. 

So - while I would never advocate it ?, would any of these solutions be effective enough to use in a (non-carpeted) apartment where smoking was theoretically not allowed?  Smallish, about 37 square meters.  For occasional smoking, maybe once a week.

Asking for a friend...

So - while I would never advocate it , would any of these solutions be effective enough to use in a (non-carpeted) apartment where smoking was theoretically not allowed?  Smallish, about 37 square meters.  For occasional smoking, maybe once a week.
Asking for a friend...
I'd put money on you losing your security deposit if a landlord gets a hint of stale smoke or complaint from another tenant.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

36 minutes ago, kalibratecuba said:

I'd put money on you losing your security deposit if a landlord gets a hint of stale smoke or complaint from another tenant.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

I’ll tell my friend!