Miami Custom agents

30 minutes ago, mt1 said:

So what's the general rule of thumb if you want to bring maybe 2-3 boxes of Cubans into the US as gifts/to smoke but you are not a US resident or citizen?  Do you just stick to 100 cigars max?

With that and the way most would read the regulations I believe you'd be safe though it is apparently up to the particular Agent. As long as you are under 100 cigars and $800 total goods you don't have to declare anything, leave the form blank.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Habana Mike said:

With that and the way most would read the regulations I believe you'd be safe though it is apparently up to the particular Agent. As long as you are under 100 cigars and $800 total goods you don't have to declare anything, leave the form blank.

Thanks Mike!!

11 hours ago, El Presidente said:

I told an aussie couple that they wouldn't be able to fly American A from Miami to havana as they were non US Citizens.  

American A took their booking for the flight and then barred them at the airport (check in). 

It is all as clear as mud. 

wait what!?!  I plan to do that next year.  Fly from Miami into Havana on American Airlines.  Its a no go for Aussies?

3 minutes ago, moy71 said:

wait what!?!  I plan to do that next year.  Fly from Miami into Havana on American Airlines.  Its a no go for Aussies?

Not as far as I know. We have tried. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Habana Mike said:

Problem with the lighter bit was I went to the VIP Salon, grabbed a glass of HC7 and a bottle of Mexican Coke and went up to the smoking lounge. There I sit with many cigars and no means to light a one. I asked the staff about it and no one could help me out.

As I was leaving I mentioned to the girl at the front desk that it was a bit odd to have a smoking room but no matches or lighters available. She told me she could assist and I said my flight is boarding. She said I'd have plenty of time for a cigarette! ;) 

Glad you got through too Mike!

They've been doing that in Jose Martí for a few years now. Taking every lighter they can find. Next time you go to Cuba, bring a box(es) of matches with you, cigar matches if you like and keep them in your carry-on/jacket on the way out. They've never taken those from me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RijkdeGooier said:

As an aside - had no problem with lighters in Veradero

Are lighters hard to come by on the island? I plan to just buy a couple there then leave them at the casa or toss them. I'm sure they would get taken by US customs even if they make it through in Cuba.

6 minutes ago, kevpro said:

Are lighters hard to come by on the island? I plan to just buy a couple there then leave them at the casa or toss them. I'm sure they would get taken by US customs even if they make it through in Cuba.

Yes, though cigar stores will usually have some. Partagas, Habana Libre and El Aljibe. You can get a torch lighter with a mini-bottle of gas for 6-10 cucs depending on the lighter. The $6 plastic one is better value than the metal lighter. Or, bring cheap empty torch lighters with you then buy the gas/lighter set in one of those cigar stores. Most agents let empty lighters through don't they? Give away the lighters before you leave the island and have matches for the last part of your trip. Bartenders, waiters and waitresses really like getting lighters.

Miami will remain Atop my list of airports to avoid connecting back through. Followed in close second by Tampa. I agree with everyone saying its really up to the agent, their political views and their current mood. I have no desire to participate in their bullsh*t so I don't declare anything, ever. I did it once and it was, by far, the worst customs experience I had. If they want to play top cop, then let them figure it out for themselves. 

Lets not forgot (as we often do) they exist to serve the citizens, not the other way around. I will remain innocent until PROVEN guilty. 

I came back through Fort Lauderdale yesterday and it was easier than arriving back to Denver on my connecting flight home. (DIA is in worse shape than Jose Marti airport right now, its a joke) 

All told, Customs/Immigration took me roughly 60 seconds (plus waiting for my bag) I handed the agent my passport and immigration receipt(which includes your declarations now) he took it, didn't even look at it and waived me through. Zero words exchanged, I barley stopped walking.

Exactly the same as my last two trips through FLL and my single trip through Houston. If you don't have drugs, they just don't care. I was sniffed by 3 separate CBP dogs 4 times during the deboarding and baggage claim process.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Yes, though cigar stores will usually have some. Partagas, Habana Libre and El Aljibe. You can get a torch lighter with a mini-bottle of gas for 6-10 cucs depending on the lighter. The $6 plastic one is better value than the metal lighter. Or, bring cheap empty torch lighters with you then buy the gas/lighter set in one of those cigar stores. Most agents let empty lighters through don't they? Give away the lighters before you leave the island and have matches for the last part of your trip. Bartenders, waiters and waitresses really like getting lighters.

Thanks! That's a good idea about giving them to bartenders etc. 

6 hours ago, Ryan said:

Yeah, but the torch lighter I bought from an LCDH exploded in my hand. Lucky I wasn't lighting a cigar at the time. Just be careful.

• 5 months later...
On 4/29/2019 at 3:18 PM, madandana said:

There is this from CBP.

F483BA04-EB1D-4F23-BF89-7831C548082C.thumb.png.2cdceb5e337842e19ed415a21ab23b4e.png

That's under Military and Civilian Government posting restrictions. This is not to do with general exemption amounts. Personal exemption is 100 cigars. It hasn't changed. CBP is always woefully misinformed.

• Thanks 1