JohnS

JohnS' Smoking Diary 2019

1542669515_2019-05-0607_38_41.jpg.da4ea94496e4ef313a0b6466fa5ba535.jpg

Por Larrañaga Montecarlos LGR Abr 2018 (thanks @Luca!)

Gifted by @Luca (thank you), this darker-wrappered Por Larranaga Montecarlos was intended to allow me to make a comparison to the lighter-wrappered LGR Oct 2017 Por Larranaga Montecarlos box I've been going through at the moment.

In general, I must concede that I prefer lighter-wrappered Habanos cigars where possible. This is because of my preference for milder (flavoured) smoking experiences. This is just my general rule and they are exceptions to the rule, both in terms of smoking experiences and preferences across marcas and vitolas.

In relation to Por Larranaga Montecarlos, I find darker-wrappered varieties tend to be more dominant in wood and spice and lighter-wrappered varieties tend to be more dominant in caramel, or just sweeter and less woody. This was the case with this cigar. It certainly had caramel, but it was more woody than my LGR Oct 17 recent PLM's and had a little spice to it too, although it wasn't 'toasty' in any way. When they are like this I'm prone to rest them until the wood and spice recedes and the blend builds in caramel more. When that occurs is a matter of personal judgement through checking on the box periodically, perhaps every 3 to 6 months as a minimum. In the meantime, I still enjoyed this cigar and appreciated its blend of flavours.

• Like 2