JohnS' Smoking Diary 2019

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This Smoking Diary is dedicated to @Wertman (and other members who requested it in the Daily Smoke thread) and serves as a reference for the information linked to the cigars I have smoked, and will sm

I'd like to take the opportunity to thank you for taking the time to peruse and support this blog. Let me tell you, it turned out to be quite an undertaking but I think I have come to appreciate that

Reading through this thread just reinforces my hunch that @JohnS doesn't have any cigars of his own!

1875118187_2019-09-0610_58_01.jpg.0e455c1a2b10e1688e7b798af7d2fffe.jpg

Diplomáticos No.2 EML Ago 2014

I believe this is my 5th cigar from this box and thus far every cigar has been similar, yet a little different here and there. Some have been spicy, some have been strong in capsicum or bell pepper; this one was dominant in sourdough or 'bread' flavour. This was also the mildest of the cigars I've had from this box so far.

The cigar still had a little capsicum or bell pepper and a hint of paprika spice, but the mild strength combined with the sourdough flavour really appealed to me. Again, I very much look forward to my next one.

• Like 4

638421613_2019-09-0816_34_58.jpg.3389104ecfe08db9a8397becea7b0061.jpg

Por Larrañaga Montecarlos LGR Ago 2018

Yes, I've had many Por Larranaga Montecarlos this year, and I've seemingly retired my glorious LGR Oct 2017 box, but I wonder if this LGR Ago 2018 box has 'turned a corner' today. At just past 12 months old, it wouldn't surprise me.

As you may be aware, these were initially more 'woody' from the box but today's sample didn't disappoint in terms of caramel. Where it surprised me was in the hint of nut and sour citrus tart essence or what we enthusiasts proverbially like to call 'Cuban twang'. This sprinkling of Cuban twang elevated an above average cigar, for me, to being outstanding. I now eagerly look forward to smoking another soon to see if I get the hint of nut and sour citrus 'Cuban twang' again like I did today.

• Like 4

96088867_2019-09-1307_22_17.jpg.6aa5c21142ac5003338ae3d98a7cbdca.jpg

Rafael González Perlas OPG Ene 2015 (thanks @Luca!)

Sometimes, after smoking a cigar such as this one, you ask yourself, "how come I don't smoke these more often?". I think I'm still trying to answer that question satisfactorily as I type out this write-up. Certainly @Luca, who graciously gifted this to me, enjoys them often, maybe I should ask him? (I think I will at some point!)

The immediate satisfaction one feels when drawing their first puffs of that light milk chocolate, floral, honey and baking spice concoction that is so typical of mid-term aged Rafael Gonzalez cigars was everywhere to be seen, felt, smelt and tasted here. You know when you light up a cigar and you say "aah" straight away without thinking, like the moment you have a personal conflict reconciled, the relief can be overwhelming, yet exhilarating! That's what I felt here.

The cigar soon settled around the halfway mark into a more uniform milk chocolate and spice stogie and stayed that way until it concluded around the half-hour mark. Minutos and perlas can be more intense in strength, flavour-wise. At least the RG Perlas stands out from the other vitolas in the category as being more subtle, more milder, something different. Maybe that is why I should have them more often!

• Like 3

1171221909_2019-09-1317_19_12.jpg.1beaeaf800e82a467042fdb4c05f6444.jpg

Hoyo de Monterrey Epicure No.2 BUP Mar 2018

I do enjoy a light-strength Habanos every now and then, and when I do, the Hoyo de Monterrey Epicure No.2 often 'fits the bill'.

This was mainly light cocoa at the beginning and soon settled into its core flavours of cedar wood and cloves. There wasn't any real hint of cream or vanilla and/or cinnamon sweetness one can get with these, but I didn't really seem to mind. After all, the simplicity on offer here saw me nub this cigar as far I could go!

• Like 3

319118992_2019-09-1416_21_08.jpg.269f1a352568143bb3439116aa87ea21.jpg

Quai d'Orsay No. 50 SMA Jul 2018

Hype is a multi-faceted word, which in the case of the Quai d'Orsay No. 50 and No.54, is rarely seen for a prolonged basis for a regular production Habanos cigar. However, when you see (and many of you have) continual listings of these two cigars on 24:24 on our forum sell within seconds, despite being clearance stock, you have to wonder what the appeal is.

Hype can mean excessive or exaggerated publicity or promotion and is thought to come from the word 'hyperbole' which in the Ancient Greek means to over shoot or over throw your mark. In the world of finance, stocks that are over-hyped always come back crashing down to Earth. Will the Quai d'Orsay No.50 and No.54 do likewise? We shall see.

The quality leaf that has gone into these cigars was again plainly evident to see, both in regards to construction, ash burn, length and in regards to flavour. Gingerbread, toffee, hazelnut and a 'breadiness' like egg and butter brioche is what, for me, makes this cigar stand out. Despite the thin and supple wrapper tearing slightly in parts, this cigar still held well and was easy to smoke well into the final third.

• Like 2

1289949363_2019-09-1417_29_22.jpg.163e84804287a7b72d4b39ef97be4eca.jpg

La Gloria Cubana Medaille d'Or No.4 ETP Ene 2016

I've had such an exciting adventure smoking two La Gloria Cubana Medaille d'Or No.4's 'right-off-the-truck' from a recent mid-2017 box that I decided to return to my early-2016 box to compare notes today.

This LGC Medaille d'Or No.4 had similar notes of fruit, spice and wood, and shared in a similar range of complexity through the thirds, but it didn't have that essence of almond nut and cream that was evident in my cigars from my mid-2017 box. In fact, this was my fifth from this box and they've all been similar in being more 'woody' than those two cigars aforementioned.

I may still smoke another from this early-2016 box and rest it thereafter for awhile. After all, I could still enjoy my mid-2017 box in the meantime.

• Like 2

1933416424_2019-09-2017_57_34.jpg.bd56ddc9efd6cccdfabdf84a3612514e.jpg

Punch Punch UBM Ago 2018

Please do note, if you aren't aware, that the Punch Punch is a cigar that is considered, according to member feedback from recent polls on our forum, polarising. After I had this one tonight, it's easy to see why. Let me explain further below.

The last Punch Punch I had a few months ago was simply delectable. It had a prefect combination of creaminess, leather, cedar and glorious notes of 'Cuban twang', that sour citrus tart essence that aficionados of the leaf drool over in their sleep just thinking about it.

This one? Well it had no real creaminess, leather was minimal, don't even mention 'Cuban twang' but at least it had wood and spice...just too much of it for my liking. The wood was somewhat charred, like what my experience was like when smoking 3 or 4 Punch Regios de Punch 2017 Limited Edition cigars last year. The spice was also strong, but it was reminiscent of a clove spice that I find agreeable in Punch so it redeemed the cigar for me...enough that I was able to smoke it through to the last third.

So overall this was just average, but it feels worse because my last Punch Punch was simply so sublime. The moral to the story here? Temper your expectations when it comes to smoking Habanos cigars. I need to continually remind myself to keep an open mind and that every cigar I smoke is potentially a new experience, a new opportunity to learn something new.

• Like 2

1457626287_2019-09-2019_39_49.jpg.055a14b45cdde9f19575778bc4e06f9c.jpg

Montecristo No.2 GOS Ago 2018

A recent poll on our forum listing the one marca members dislike brought about interesting results. You'd think that Cohiba and Bolivar would top this type of poll, but no, the marca most disliked was in fact Romeo y Julieta and second was Montecristo. I can save some discussion on why I think RyJ was voted the most unpopular, however, when it comes to Montecristo, one word would sum up why it rated so negatively on a poll such as this one...and that word is, inconsistency.

It's been a little while since I've had a Montecristo No.2 and I believe the idea of inconsistent outcomes with this vitola would be the reason why. Where I may differ to you is in the fact that when I enjoy a Montecristo cigar I find them exemplary. When they are ordinary I find I can still smoke them, but they are just average to above average for me, they don't tend to offend my palate to the point where I get frustrated or ask why I bother with Montecristo as a marca!

Tonight's Montecristo No.2 was fairly ordinary but in reality, that is all it could have been due to its construction. I was unable to get a consistent burn line on this cigar because it was rolled incorrectly. This meant that there were some soft spots in the cigar and I had to touch it up a few times, and quite significantly, to correct the burn. I am always reticent to do this because of the possibility of bringing bitter flavours to the cigar.

In regards to flavour, if this was rolled correctly, it would have been okay. It had some nice notes of nut and citrus twang, a little milk coffee but there was no cocoa or chocolate to be found here, which was a shame.

• Like 2

1716379861_2019-09-2021_35_27.jpg.b4592f140aaa4994832d1da58a966959.jpg

Montecristo No.4 UEB May 2018

This is now the seventh above average to outstanding Montecristo No.4 I've had from this box code. It had gorgeous notes of nut and 'citrus twang' mainly...a flavour combination I simply adore in Montecristo cigars. Balanced with the usual cocoa and milk coffee core flavour along its spine, this was pretty much everything I could ask for from a Montecristo No.4 cigar.

• Like 2

194616379_2019-09-2020_30_04.jpg.ea853bfc1eaccb0db1f03f646152f5c1.jpg

San Cristóbal de la Habana La Fuerza LGR Jun 2018

This cigar has quietly risen in reputation on our forum in the last 12 months. I think of it was being a quiet achiever, the last few I've had do the job when it comes to satisfaction, but in regards to the San Cristobal de La Habana marca, the El Principe is its flagship. The La Fuerza has been a solid consistent performer of late, and in my view, deserves some recognition.

How is this different to the El Principe and why was it so good? Like the El Principe, there is a core molasses sweetness here, but the intensity is very different, this has always been milder than the El Principe for me, much more refined. Cocoa and espresso coffee flavours tend to be much more in the background and I usually find a nice baking spice flavour at times from the La Fuerza, which I did tonight with this cigar.

So, in conclusion, if you like the El Principe then give this a go, even if it's a quarter pack of six cigars. You're likely to find out for yourself why this quiet achiever is so deserving of its recent accolades.

• Like 3

1584131686_2019-09-2115_34_33.thumb.jpg.7e34a86474e3e902fd10a6f7e5d74702.jpg2103720259_2019-09-2115_49_33.thumb.jpg.df09b09ebe501710bbaf5a65cbda55d3.jpg

Bolívar Gold Medal LSO Jul 2007 (thanks @Luca!)

Again gifted by @Luca, this was every bit as good as the last Bolivar Gold Medal I smoked around six months ago. That was distinctive for me for its wonderful marshmallow texture and this was much the same, thankfully!

Again, I got notes of light cocoa, a caramel or burnt honey sweetness and some typical Bolivar leather and earthiness, albeit just a touch of these latter two flavours due to age, but the marshmallow texture was more like the confectionery Rocky Road because of the sweetness of the cigar.

This was also a pleasure to retrohale throughout, was mild and cool well into the last third, and made me wish that I had another handy to light straight after! Surely this is the hallmark of a great cigar?

The 2007 LCDH run of this vitola was not as well received as the initial 2004 run, however, after smoking two of these mid-2007 Gold Medals, I can reassure you that a cigar like this would make you wish you stocked up at the time. In my opinion, they have been that good to smoke this year.

• Like 4

316813529_2019-09-2117_12_47.thumb.jpg.fd12cf85937233860701c99f55835b11.jpg

La Gloria Cubana Taínos LRE Dic 2009

This is the second cigar from a box I've rested in my OLH for a number of years and recently had shipped. As I mentioned in my previous review of this cigar, if you've researched the La Gloria Cuban Tainos on the forum you'd know that it is a much-loved and much-missed cigar. Although, perhaps the examples from the early 2000's were not as much-loved, the last few years of production in '08 and '09 were better.

This LGC Tainos had a core cream, nut and cake flavour and surprisingly, it had a distinctive lemon citrus twang that was really enjoyable. Retrohaling, which I'm disinclined to do on younger cigars, presented no issue here as the draw, like my last LGC Tainos, left a pleasant tingle through the nose and I had no problem retrohaling into the last third either.

Sadly, there's only three regular production Churchills; the iconic Romeo y Julieta Churchill, the seasonal H.Upmann Sir Winston and the premium Cohiba Esplendidos. This aged La Gloria Cubana Tainos was nothing like those in terms of flavour. It has more in common with the LGC Medaille d'Or No.4, but it still has a marked difference in comparison to any LGC Medaille d'Or No.4 I've smoked. How I wish these were still around!

• Like 4

165762594_2019-09-2120_42_59.jpg.5caaf2f06f87dec48541436136117c97.jpg

Trinidad Robustos Extra OUS Sep 2009

My second Trinidad Robustos Extra from this box did not disappoint, much like my first one. It made me wonder why these were discontinued in 2012, after all, these have always had a solid reputation for being a quality Habanos cigar.

Again, much like my first one, this did not have your quintessential coffee and dough found prominently in Trinidad vitolas these days. Rather, the flavour reminiscent of Trinidad flavours for when this cigar was around, flavours such as tea, leather, grass or hay and a little honey. The cream and butter aspect to this cigar that was so dominant in my first one from this box was again there. The difference in this Trinidad Robustos Extra though was in the saltiness, especially more so from the end of the first third onwards. I was taken aback by how salty this was, mainly because my first one had no determinable salt in comparison. What would be the best way to analogise it? Perhaps by comparing quality unsalted butter to quality salted butter, for the cream and butter in this cigar remained wonderfully constant throughout.

If you have been fortunate enough to have sampled the recent LCDH Trinidad La Trova release and come across an opportunity to sample this cigar, make sure you do so as they have their similarities and their differences.

• Like 4

1213594259_2019-09-2518_54_40.jpg.e6969a8bf4a175876f1246a48f6c135d.jpg

Bolívar Belicosos Finos LMB Feb 2019

These Bolivar Belicosos Finos' have been so dependable of late, consistently satisfying would be the term I'd use to describe them. Simple flavours of cocoa, malt, leather and some spice, which if one is more prone to a savoury palate, may be interpreted as white pepper where evident. Funnily enough, I feel like one right now just thinking about this BBF as I am typing this out, so it must be good, mustn't it?

• Like 2

2076593120_2019-09-2520_35_14.jpg.f7d72843b8acb42887f195d1498b1492.jpg

Montecristo No.2 GOS Ago 2018

The Montecristo No.2...now, I know what you're thinking, something along the lines of, "why do I do this to myself?" or "I swore the last one would be the very final one I reach for!" But what draws us back, those of us who are familiar with its wares? Is it not the ethereal qualities this cigar exhibits and compels us to visit and re-visit it time and time again?

Yes, it happened to me. You see the last one was just average so of course I had to reach out for another tonight. Coffee, a little cocoa, plenty of 'citrus twang' and very little nut or perhaps biscuit and you'd think this Monte 2 was someone's attempt at a medium-mild Juan Lopez piramide! But alas, no, it definitely was reminiscent of the Montecristo marca, especially that wonderful 'citrus twang' that oozes class in this torpedo cigar and which makes me grateful that I'm hopelessly addicted to its snare. What other cigar empowers you to suffer its disappointment and glory in its satisfaction so emphatically as the Montecristo No.2? I tell you there is no other...okay, maybe and perhaps its little brother, the Montecristo No.4.

You're going to light up a Monte No.2 now, aren't you?

• Like 3

248991701_2019-09-2718_38_12.jpg.6a766cb1caa6c5502760a11ae7befbf4.jpg

Romeo y Julieta Churchills GOM Ago 2018

I have a quarter box of 3 year-old RyJ Churchills in one of my humidors but tonight was an opportunity to see how my other younger quarter box was going. I checked my Cuban Cigar Website inventory after smoking this cigar and was amazed to find that I had acquired them 7 months ago and that they had gone past 12 months of age! I mean...seriously, where did the time go?

This RyJ Churchill started off fabulously. Pleasantly mild with obvious cherry, turkish delight and a hint of baking spice...you know, just yummy! The middle third settled into more of a quality toasted tobacco, licorice or anise sweetness which stayed constant through to the final third when I nubbed this.

The Romeo y Julieta Churchill has been a solid performer for the past few years now on our forum and I have sampled a number of quality examples, this cigar easily qualifies for being the latest addition to that categorisation.

• Like 3

1959120174_2019-09-2720_10_36.jpg.ddd5693a34237b17883f69119e57f20c.jpg

Por Larrañaga Montecarlos LGR Oct 2017

I hope I haven't bored you with the many accolades I've bestowed upon this cigar in 2019, so I apologise, I simply can't help it!

I think it's a combination of the value and quality flavours that appeals most to me. This is now around 2 years of age and I've smoked just over half the box...they've all pretty much been exemplary. Caramel in spades, a touch of honey and toasted tobacco which signifies its age, I can see myself going through the rest of the box easily before the end of 2020, if not sooner!

• Like 3

789505484_2019-09-2721_31_39.jpg.fdd5c82afe13a595b3999213d685b245.jpg

San Cristóbal de la Habana El Príncipe TOS Jun 2016

This cigar was a great way to finish the night. I was a little taken aback in regards to its medium to medium-full strength, but it made up for that through its molasses sweetness, cocoa and strong coffee combination. In fact, this was the sweetest San Cristobal de la Habana El Principe I've had for awhile and there wasn't a hint of spice you normally get with this minuto either. It's no wonder why these are a forum favourite!

• Like 3

1259394818_2019-09-2814_28_53.jpg.3f8166c04a90c8ecaf0eb9ff27eed93f.jpg

Montecristo No.4 UEB May 2018

This box has been sensational thus far, so why not try another? The one thing that has heightened my senses in regards to this box has been the nut and 'citrus twang' I've been getting from these Monte 4's, simply put, they have been sublime.

Today's example was slightly different. You see, that nut and 'citrus twang' was definitely there, but the white ash from this cigar muted the cocoa and milk coffee notes to the point where they were non-existent. Now, normally Habanos aficionados greatly admire white ash in a cigar, and often equate it with better flavours. For today's cigar, I'd equate the white ash with an alternative description; stating simply that there were different flavours. These flavours were like roasted cashew nuts, citrus and a little spice combining to produce a subtle, yet potent concoction. At times it felt like the cigar had qualities of an aged Montecristo No.4, despite being less than two years old!

The white ash was beautiful, this I'll definitely admit. And it was consistent, the burn-line was perfect and there were no need for touch-ups or re-lights. There are two reasons mainly for white ash in a cigar; one, the minerality in the soil of the leaves used was higher than normal or two, the ligero leaf in the centre was not rolled into the core correctly. If it was the second reason then you are likely to find some tunneling going on as you go, but this wasn't the case.

So, overall this was still above average as far as Montecristo No,4 goes, but in comparison to the rest of the box, I've had more outstanding examples this year.

35384718_2019-09-2814_46_47.thumb.jpg.936f8bfb8ae92f5abc3f4e88c1bd3dfc.jpg

• Like 3

1347264892_2019-09-3010_16_39.jpg.216f2fafd55f1e54c6fd29681062e5b0.jpg

Sancho Panza Non Plus ABR Sep 2011

I've recently acquired a few boxes of Sancho Panza Non Plus due to their announced discontinuation this year in 2019, so I figured I should smoke another aged cigar of this vitola to compare notes when I end up 'cracking open' those boxes.

Creaminess was minimal, there was a hint of floral notes but this cigar mainly dominated in a mild combination of wood and salt which was very satisfying to find in an 8 year-old cigar, mainly because I found that the flavours were quite lively, yet refined, and I wonder if the last four cigars from this box will reach ten years of age before I smoke them.

Hmmm...I wonder?

• Like 2

2122590144_2019-09-3012_02_19.jpg.9d762ee6810fa5dc9fb1357056f9fd37.jpg

Diplomáticos Norteños 2018 - Edición Regional Canadá UEB Ago 2018

I must thank @Chucko8 for gifting me this recent Canadian Regional Edition to review. He noted strawberries, cream, pretzel salt, nuts and floral notes off the smoke in his review of the cigar. I left the cigar to rest for 60 days upon receiving it (I had envisaged a period of 30 days, my how time flies!) and was eagerly anticipating a sweet delight today when the time came to smoke it. Friends, I was not disappointed.

When I find the Diplomaticos No.2 on the savoury side, it can have strong notes of capsicum or bell pepper and paprika spice. Other Diplomaticos cigars I've enjoyed over the years have been sweeter...more cinnamon spice and nutmeg. This Nortenos Robusto was definitely of the sweet variety. One thing I find common in all Diplomaticos cigars and that is sourdough. I found plenty of it here.

The strawberries and cream was evident from the first puffs, the pretzel salt was there throughout and smoke output and construction was exceptional. Yes, I even had floral notes off the smoke, the only thing I didn't register was the nuts...perhaps the core sourdough enveloped it for me?

No matter, this was one quality cigar. Don't hesitate to sample it if you get a chance!

• Like 3