JohnS' Smoking Diary 2019

1542669515_2019-05-0607_38_41.jpg.da4ea94496e4ef313a0b6466fa5ba535.jpg

Por Larrañaga Montecarlos LGR Abr 2018 (thanks @Luca!)

Gifted by @Luca (thank you), this darker-wrappered Por Larranaga Montecarlos was intended to allow me to make a comparison to the lighter-wrappered LGR Oct 2017 Por Larranaga Montecarlos box I've been going through at the moment.

In general, I must concede that I prefer lighter-wrappered Habanos cigars where possible. This is because of my preference for milder (flavoured) smoking experiences. This is just my general rule and they are exceptions to the rule, both in terms of smoking experiences and preferences across marcas and vitolas.

In relation to Por Larranaga Montecarlos, I find darker-wrappered varieties tend to be more dominant in wood and spice and lighter-wrappered varieties tend to be more dominant in caramel, or just sweeter and less woody. This was the case with this cigar. It certainly had caramel, but it was more woody than my LGR Oct 17 recent PLM's and had a little spice to it too, although it wasn't 'toasty' in any way. When they are like this I'm prone to rest them until the wood and spice recedes and the blend builds in caramel more. When that occurs is a matter of personal judgement through checking on the box periodically, perhaps every 3 to 6 months as a minimum. In the meantime, I still enjoyed this cigar and appreciated its blend of flavours.

• Like 4

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This Smoking Diary is dedicated to @Wertman (and other members who requested it in the Daily Smoke thread) and serves as a reference for the information linked to the cigars I have smoked, and will sm

I'd like to take the opportunity to thank you for taking the time to peruse and support this blog. Let me tell you, it turned out to be quite an undertaking but I think I have come to appreciate that

Reading through this thread just reinforces my hunch that @JohnS doesn't have any cigars of his own!

1533543807_2019-05-0811_33_41.jpg.fb2ee348651bf4d7235382dcd13b0d85.jpg

Montecristo No.1 MER Mar 2013 (thanks @awkwardPause!)

If I had to guess what sells, in terms of annual volume, amongst the original Montecristo line when it was first released in 1935, I'd say the No.4 followed by the No.2 would sell in the greatest numbers. The Montecristo No.5 would be next followed by a distance by No.1 and No.3. The reason the last two would be less in demand, in my view, would be due to their vitola dimensions rather than how good a cigar they are. Lonsdales and coronas respectively don't currently sell in great numbers, hence their recent mass deletions in the last 15 to 20 years. After smoking this No.1, I find it a great shame how it's 'under-the-radar', but I'd say that would be less so amongst enthusiasts on our forum.

This six-year-old Montecristo No.1 was graciously gifted to me by @awkwardPause. It continues a great run I've had with Montecristo No.1's in the past 24 months, albeit, the other ones have all been around 2 years of age. How was this different to those? In a word, the citrus twang! My other youthful Montecristo No.1's have all had that mild Montecristo coffee and cocoa element to them, but none embodied that citrus twang like this one!

The citrus twang began from the first puff, and together with a strong almond nut combination, dominated the cigar well into the middle third. When cigars start off so well, like this one, my hope is always that they would continue to do so into the second third and thankfully this one did. In the last third it picked up in leather and the underlying Montecristo cocoa and coffee, but I simply loved the complexity and mildness this cigar offered my senses.

• Like 4

211953737_2019-05-1109_39_06.jpg.f6cdf16fa5b6fbd7b210d8b12bc29e08.jpg

Partagás Serie D No.4 OPA Mar 2010

In case you didn't know it, modern consensus in the Habanos community suggests that the number one selling Cuban vitola in the world is no longer the Montecristo No.4, rather it has been surpassed by the Partagas Serie D No.4. That's not bad for a cigar that because of its size (50 ring gauge x 124 mm or 4.9 inches) sold only 5000 boxes annually when it was first released in the 1960s.

This Partagas Serie D No.4 was gifted to me by an anonymous benefactor (yes, you know who you are...and thank you!) a number of years ago, I decided today it was time to see how it was coming along, before I could change my mind and let it age into its tenth year!

It was completely different to my MEG Abr 2016 Partagas Serie D No.4, which because of its 'toastiness' and pepper/spice prompted me to rest the remainders in the box until the sourdough started to peak through in the blend. This nine-year-old Party D4 was very mild, replete of sourdough, leather and cream and capped off with some black coffee. There was no pepper or spice as such and it satisfied in every way, this is pretty much how I prefer my Partagas cigars. Luckily I have one more from the same box to be thankful for at sometime before or around its tenth birthday!

• Like 3

32681234_2019-05-1111_00_50.jpg.f60e2fa8a14e745217907ca6e8926f8a.jpg

H. Upmann Connoisseur No.1 PLM May 2011

There was a time a few years ago when PLM May 2011 H.Upmann Connoisseur No.1's used to sell like 'crazy' on 24:24 listings when they invariably came up. After sampling this last one from the box, it's easy to understand why...they are both simple and simply satisfying in general.

The Connoisseur No.1 is almost a Robusto. It's a Hermosos No.4 size, 48 ring gauge x 127 mm or 5 inches in length. This Connie 1 had typical Upmann flavours...shortbread, coffee, a little cedar and dashings of white pepper which, for me, perfectly counter-balanced the other flavours and kept the cigar interesting for me all the way. This was a 'no-brainer' to nub. What a pity I have none left! Oh well, c'est la vie!

• Like 3

836018963_2019-05-1113_03_39.jpg.9ab8ff6a532c62df8e67ac837dd1f89b.jpg

H. Upmann No.2 LUB May 2014

This had just hit the 5-year mark so it was time to re-visit it. The H.Upmann No.2, like its Montecristo No.4-sized sadly discontinued brother, the H.Upmann Petit Corona, can be fuller-bodied when youthful. For that reason, I like to age these cigars to bring out their shortbread cream flavour, but it takes time...for me, typically 5 years.

Like the Montecristo No.2, the H.Upmann No.2 is a torpedo cigar (52 ring gauge x 156 mm) but I wouldn't envisage that it sells anywhere near the volume of Montecristo No. 2's annually. It's not because of their blend either, the H.Upmann No.2 is a fine-tasting cigar, rather it simply a matter of brand appeal...the Montecristo No.2 is much more well-known.

This Upmann No.2 has settled nicely around the 5-year mark. It was a touch over medium-mild, had a nice combination of shortbread, coffee and cedar and it surprised me with a hint of powdered cocoa at times. I envisage that the blend will become more creamy with age and I look forward to sampling the next one.

• Like 4

1284765399_2019-05-1812_32_14.jpg.546b4bc00bef8b5f62357158edb8f3ef.jpg

Romeo y Julieta Churchills OBM Dic 2016

This was the last RyJ Churchill from this box and on the whole these have been very, very good, both in regards to flavour and especially in regards to construction. This was a touch under medium and had the quintessential RyJ turkish delight, rosewater and anise but was light on berry/cherry-type flavours and cocoa.

Still, there was enough to satisfy, as the cigar didn't descend at any point into the 'toasted tobacco blandness' I've experienced with this vitola prior to 2015 and I'm grateful for that outcome.

• Like 4

1202302058_2019-05-1814_17_41.jpg.d6f5ae7509a39419987509d28555d226.jpg

Hoyo de Monterrey Le Hoyo du Prince SOM Jun 2016

I pulled this out of by humidor, almost by accident, after re-arranging it to fit new cigars and so I decided to re-visit this to see how it was coming along. After smoking it I've been through 60% of the box, which makes me wonder if I will come to regret that fact in the future, especially as this vitola is now deleted.

The Hoyo de Monterrey Le Hoyo du Prince had two things going against it, I suppose, when it was discontinued in 2017; firstly, it was a HdM Le Hoyo line vitola and secondly, although it wasn't quite a petit corona size, it's 40 ring gauge x 130 mm in length dimensions categorised it for future brand streamlining by Habanos S.A, which is what happened in January 2017. A possible third reason may be the fact that Le Hoyo line cigars traditionally take a long time to peak, in my opinion, and hence this may have effected sales.

It seems a strange thing to say that at almost 3 years of age this cigar needs significantly more time to mature, but judging by how little cream texture there was to this, I know that I may need to let the rest of the box rest a further 2 years prior to sampling the next one. The strength was not an issue, medium-mild throughout, but the dominance of cedar/wood, forest floor and mushroom flavours didn't allow any of the more subtle flavours to come to the fore such as light cocoa and hints of vanilla sweetness and that is what I'm looking for the next time I have one.

• Like 2

352883977_2019-05-1815_35_39.jpg.f5c5216a1fa33010aff31c6ff3b13cb2.jpg

H. Upmann Magnum 56 SOM Dic 2015

Around two years ago I lit up one of these behemoth 2015 Limited Editions and remarked what a quality release it was. The cigar was smooth, mild and full of subtle flavours of chocolate, white pepper, Upmann shortbread, spice and licorice. I surmised at the time that this cigar will only get better, anticipating a 'peak window' in the three to five year period. That original review can be located here...

https://www.friendsofhabanos.com/forum/topic/127594-hupmann-magnum-56-edicion-limitada-2015-lub-jun-2015/

Coincidentally, I thought it was time to see how these were turning out from the same box when @NSXCIGAR recently posted an insightful review here...

https://www.friendsofhabanos.com/forum/topic/139325-hu-mag-56-el-2015-vvl/

I only read his review afterwards, but it's suffice to report that his findings exactly mirrored my experience after smoking this today. Those initial flavours of chocolate and white pepper seem to have dissipated and the Upmann Shortbread and licorice sweetness defined the cigar from practically beginning to end.

It's still a fine cigar, but I can't help but feel that the ones I had from the box a few years ago were a 'notch-up' in quality from today's specimen. Then again, this single cigar two years on is a small sample size to draw conclusions from and so I think it best that I smoke another to compare in the next few months. Watch this space...

• Like 4

1175323317_2019-05-1900_35_52.jpg.b169888dd8c8c129148b08b04da9a679.jpg

Cohiba Piramides Extra ULA Dic 2013

The Cohiba Piramides Extra is a recent 'torpedo' addition to the Cohiba regular production lineup. And for all you've heard about giving Cohiba cigars time to mature, this cigar was only released in 2012 and critical consensus at the time certainly wasn't universal. What is it about the Piramides Extra that divides opinion thusly?

I feel I've been fortunate to have benefited from the generosity of a few benefactors in smoking a few of these, as well as procuring my own supplies, and I admit that I've come to enjoy them from time-to-time. The cost of these would inhibit the greater majority from smoking them regularly, in my view, and if you don't mind Cohiba as a marca surely you must ask yourself whether this vitola is worthy of acquiescing towards a (10-count) box purchase.

This cigar came from a box that is 5½ years old and at this stage of its development I feel I can safely opine that the Piramides Extra is an acquired delicacy best appreciated by real lovers of Cohiba. It tends not to fit into your classic Cohiba grass/hay and honey-citrus profile, rather like this cigar today, it's stronger in flavours and strength and more mocha coffee, butter, spice, leather and cream...in other words, for me, it just stands out a little from its Cohiba brethren.

So the next time you want to enjoy an occasion with a special cigar you may find that the Piramides Extra may not quite 'fit the bill', but then again, if you resonate strongly with Cohiba cigars, it just might.

• Like 3

On 6/5/2019 at 7:47 AM, JohnS said:

1202302058_2019-05-1814_17_41.jpg.d6f5ae7509a39419987509d28555d226.jpg

Hoyo de Monterrey Le Hoyo du Prince SOM Jun 2016

I pulled this out of by humidor, almost by accident, after re-arranging it to fit new cigars and so I decided to re-visit this to see how it was coming along. After smoking it I've been through 60% of the box, which makes me wonder if I will come to regret that fact in the future, especially as this vitola is now deleted.

The Hoyo de Monterrey Le Hoyo du Prince had two things going against it, I suppose, when it was discontinued in 2017; firstly, it was a HdM Le Hoyo line vitola and secondly, although it wasn't quite a petit corona size, it's 40 ring gauge x 130 mm in length dimensions categorised it for future brand streamlining by Habanos S.A, which is what happened in January 2017. A possible third reason may be the fact that Le Hoyo line cigars traditionally take a long time to peak, in my opinion, and hence this may have effected sales.

It seems a strange thing to say that at almost 3 years of age this cigar needs significantly more time to mature, but judging by how little cream texture there was to this, I know that I may need to let the rest of the box rest a further 2 years prior to sampling the next one. The strength was not an issue, medium-mild throughout, but the dominance of cedar/wood, forest floor and mushroom flavours didn't allow any of the more subtle flavours to come to the fore such as light cocoa and hints of vanilla sweetness and that is what I'm looking for the next time I have one.

Thanks for this excellent review @JohnS! I was really looking forward to hearing your opinions upon revisiting this box. Not what I expected! But it does echo what you had previously thought about this box and your surprise at my review when you so graciously gifted me one to try.

I must have gotten the lucky early draw from this box. The one you gave me to try was superb. It had the hints of vanilla sweetness to go with the gorgeous cedar/woodiness and a dominant spine of black tea. If the cream develops with more time then I can see these cigars becoming even better! Definitely in my "wheel-house", I would love to track down a box of these - not as much as a box of des dieux, but still.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, IanMcLean68 said:

Thanks for this excellent review @JohnS! I was really looking forward to hearing your opinions upon revisiting this box. Not what I expected! But it does echo what you had previously thought about this box and your surprise at my review when you so graciously gifted me one to try.

It's my pleasure, Ian. Sharing knowledge about cigars is what our forum is all about dear friend! ?

• Like 2

1164616395_2019-05-1913_09_34.jpg.6e51ca7145810b7f5e9946d5430b9819.jpg

Montecristo No.4 UEB May 2018

How often do you smoke a Habanos cigar, the flavours are extraordinary, yet the draw is too loose or tight? It's a common experience for us enthusiasts, right?

This cigar was the fourth from the box and taste-wise they've all been sensational. Medium-mild cocoa and milk coffee wrapped up in an almond nut and citrus twang essence, this was perfectly-flavoured until the final third when I had enough of drawing 3 puffs per draw to get a decent amount of smoke and it went a little bitter. The moral of the story? I need to invest in a PerfecDraw tool...and soon!

The Montecristo No.4 can be like 'heaven' when they taste like this, I would reckon that is why they sell so well despite a reputation for construction inconsistency.

• Like 3

1391815191_2019-05-2317_29_12.jpg.15520c884dcbbcfcb73fda25ef4f9ed9.jpg

La Flor de Cano Grandiosos 2013 - Edición Regional Asia Pacifico ROL Oct 2013

If you aren't aware, the thinking on our forum behind Asia Pacifico Regional releases is that they generally need 5 years to 'open up'. After having this La Flor de Cano Grandiosos today, I couldn't express that notion more adamantly myself. The only recent exception to this maxim that I can recall would be the 2014 Diplomaticos Bushido, which was exemplary from the 'get-go' when it finally came out in 2015.

If you have a 10-count box of this hiding away, do yourself a favour and smoke a stick to see how they are coming along. This was all butter cake and cream, floral notes, almond nuts and spice towards the back half. There was some complexity too, with strength and flavours picking up gradually through the thirds.

What a great cigar! However, be mindful of under-filling as these can be prone to that. Construction and draw on this was impeccable all the way.

• Like 3

2023128835_2019-05-2320_44_43.jpg.acf2292c817b4fbbdbbd338fbde43d65.jpg

H. Upmann Connossieur A MEG Jun 2016

The H.Upmann Connossieur A would have to be amongst the most critically-rated cigars on our forum at the moment and again, after having one today, it's easy to understand why.

Firstly, the construction, they just seem to draw well and avoid burn issues (well, at least a lot less than other Cuban cigars). Secondly, they deliver in flavours on a consistent basis and those flavours come from a marca that is a favourite amongst enthusiasts, that being H.Upmann.

At just under three years, this was your typical H.Upmann coffee and shortbread stick but milder, more nutty and there was wonderful burgeoning cream texture to be found throughout. For me, "very, very satisfying" is the best is the best way to sum up this cigar-smoking experience today!

• Like 4

7 hours ago, bundwallah said:

I never noticed this thread before.  Great idea. I  might have to rip you off.  :P 

Sure thing...the more, the merrier! It would be great to collate all your aged and rarer cigars! ?

• Like 1

1798450767_2019-05-2416_26_09.jpg.2e583d6a73b15f3ead9c04e34cf80737.jpg

Rafael González Perlas RUE Jun 2011 (thanks @awkwardPause)

I smoked an original 2011 Rafael Gonzalez Perlas about a month ago and this was the second from the same box gifted to me by @awkwardPause (thank you!). My notes from the first RG Perlas were effusive in praise...

This was not too mild, full of flavour and exhibited every sign of quality aging. I found the cigar perfectly balanced and no flavour dominated the other. Cocoa, floral notes, honey sweetness and baking spice all the way, I wish this was longer! Then again, it would be a Petit Corona if that was the case!

The second one started out wonderfully floral and continued to do so until the back end of the second half when it picked up in intensity. Cocoa flavours were about the same, but honey sweetness was muted, as was baking spice. It felt like this cigar was a tad more youthful in flavour than the previous RG Perlas I had, but it was still a great cigar!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2048164606_2019-05-2417_13_21.jpg.ef18dfec5a1cc152582c4175a2573bff.jpg

Sancho Panza Belicosos UTL May 2018  (Thank you again, @awkwardPause!)

This Sancho Panza Belicocos was indicative of recent quality '17 and '18 SP Belicocos. I must acknowledge @awkwardPause in gifting me a Sancho Panza Belicosos from 2013 and one from 2018 to compare. The 2013 SP Belicosos I smoked about a month ago was much more floral and creamy-textured than this 2018 cigar of the same marca.

This cigar was typical of the quality toasted tobacco, wood and salt you tend to get from these when they are 1 to 2 years old. For me, that doesn't mean that they are worse or indeed better, just different, as I don't mind them at all when they are like this. Then again, they are just as desirable with age on them for the way they mature, in my opinion.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1242502102_2019-05-2419_04_49.jpg.3254f536c4551ad23ab60d328437ee95.jpg

Montecristo No.1 MER Mar 2013 (thanks @awkwardPause!)

I've stated recently that I've had good fortune with a good run of Montecristo No. 1's in the last 18 to 24 months. Well, like all good fortune, sometimes your luck runs out. Still, I wanted to thank @awkwardPause for providing these two Montecristo No. 1's from 2013 to sample.

The first one, smoked around 3 weeks ago was absolutely outstanding for its beautiful citrus twang. This cigar was nothing like that at all, except for the first inch when it had the same flavour but as the cigar was under-filled this smoking experience couldn't be salvaged, it was just a tad too bitter for my liking. Because this happens so rarely to me I forego pinch testing the cigar before I lit up. I did so afterwards when I found it awkward to ash and it began to heat up at the end of the first third onwards.

It just goes to show that no amount of aging can save a cigar from construction issues.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2097167563_2019-05-2420_41_49.jpg.61f0259b96ba4a50bdbad623599a8080.jpg

Hoyo de Monterrey Epicure No.2 BUP Mar 2018

This Hoyo de Monterrey Epicure No.2 was mainly light cocoa powder and wood. Any cream, vanilla or sweet spice, as evidenced in other cigars from this box, was indistinctive in comparison, but there was a hint of sweetness in this cigar to save it from being simply bland and boring, thankfully.

• Like 3

1923559171_2019-05-2516_34_43.jpg.682ff56d61953523538e0db0675db52b.jpg

Por Larrañaga Montecarlos LGR Oct 2017

This box has been smoking fantastically from the time I acquired it and I think today it hit a new high. The latest offering was everything I could ask for in a cigar like this. This Por Larranaga Montecarlos has so far provided maximum value and satisfaction for cost, and in regards to quality smoking, it has far outweighed itself in that department too.

For a cigar at only around 18 months of age, I've been surprised by how smooth these have been from the box, thus far. In addition, today's smoke provided plenty of smoke per draw and simple flavours of caramel and wood which stayed consistent throughout. I revelled in sipping this and smoking it slowly, the finish on the palate was exceptional too.

The very best cigars are not smoked, they're sipped. And this Por Larranaga Montecarlos was sipped and savoured over 75 glorious minutes. Not bad for less than $US3 a stick!

• Like 3