JohnS' Smoking Diary 2019

1717388505_2019-06-0114_18_15.jpg.49095f49b4461cbac11609dd9c50e0bf.jpg1730672724_2019-06-0114_26_44.jpg.e594ef0013f032a0fe0d69f323ad7e86.jpg

Montecristo Maltés BRE Oct 2018

This was my first Maltes, I have had a Dumas recently and at least three or four Leyenda Linea 1935 cigars. A few weeks ago I wrote the following about the Dumas I enjoyed...

'In case you missed it, the new Linea 1935 addition to the Montecristo brand is aimed at emulating the addition of the Linea Behike to Cohiba in 2010. In other words, three cigars that are premium-priced and classy.

The official Habanos S.A. press release last year for this line was as follows...

'Habanos, S.A. launches the Línea 1935 under the Montecristo brand. Three new vitolas are incorporated into the brand’s regular portfolio; these will become the most premium Habanos offered by this legendary Brand.

Two of the three vitolas are unprecedented in the Habanos portfolio: Maltés (53 x 153 mm) and Dumas (49 x 130 mm), while Leyenda (55 x 165 mm) takes the form of the special limited edition Montecristo 80 Aniversario, launched in 2015 to commemorate the brand’s 80th Anniversary.

Montecristo is the best known and, perhaps, the most appreciated Habanos brand and is considered by many to be the benchmark for Habanos flavour. Its name had its origins in the novel The Count of Montecristo, by Alexandre Dumas, enormously popular with cigar rollers at the H. Upmann factory in Havana, where the brand was founded in 1935.

The Habanos in this new line have been made ¨Totalmente a mano con Tripa Larga – Totally by Hand with Long Filler¨, after selecting exquisite wrapper, filler and binder leaves from the finest fields – vegas – in Vuelta Abajo (Pinar del Río), the land with the best tobacco in the world. Línea 1935 is presented with a full strength flavour blend for the very first time by the Montecristo brand, thereby complementing the medium to full strength flavour of the of the Línea Clásica and Línea Edmundo and the medium strength flavour of the Línea Open blend. The natural Carmelite wrapper used gives the Línea 1935 Habanos a beautiful appearance.

Montecristo’s Línea 1935 is presented in a box with a unique design for the Habanos portfolio, with an elegant Carmelite lacquer finish and the distinction of presenting all the beveled edges. A tape with the name of the line and the vitola as well as an innovative base band with the traditional fleur-de-lis that has distinguished the Montecristo brand since its founding have been added to the brand’s traditional band.'

So there you have it. You always wanted a cigar that blended the full flavour of a classic line Montecristo cigar with the medium-flavoured Open series. Some of you may say 'bland-flavoured' Open Series. I think in essence what Habanos S.A. is trying to say is that the Linea 1935 series consists of three cigars aimed at being 'full of flavour' rather than strength in terms of a nicotine.

The Dumas is named after the author of the classic novel, 'The Count of Monte Cristo', Alexandre Dumas. Incidentally, in case you are curious, the Maltes is named after one of the main character's aliases in the novel, the Maltese Sailor, after he is rescued by smugglers and Leyenda means 'legend' in Spanish. It's the smallest of the three cigars, around the same length as a Montecristo No.4, but 7/64th inches larger in diameter. It's a little stronger than the Leyenda, but that's to be expected for a smaller cigar. I found it consistently around medium.

What set this Dumas apart from standard Montecristo cigars was the fullness of flavours. Firstly, the chocolate. Now in most standard cigars any hint of chocolate flavours can tend to be like dark and bitter chocolate. Not in the Dumas. In the Dumas the opposite is true, you get beautiful sweet, milk fine chocolate coated in whiffs of cream and marshmallow. There's also almond nut and cedar, in fact, I found the flavours very similar to the Leyendas I've tried, only a little fuller.'

Now, about the 'fullness' of flavour, this Maltes had absolutely none of it. It was every bit as bland as those infamous Montecristo Open cigars Rob and Ken notoriously encountered when they came out and reviewed them around the turn of this decade. This opened with some citrus twang and almond nut and then simply died in terms of flavour. I must say, it's been some time since I've experienced this.

Since this was my first Maltes my view on the cigar is still pending, but it would take a spectacular turnaround from the next Maltes for me to not conclude that the Leyenda is the best of the three, based on my experience thus far.

• Like 3

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This Smoking Diary is dedicated to @Wertman (and other members who requested it in the Daily Smoke thread) and serves as a reference for the information linked to the cigars I have smoked, and will sm

I'd like to take the opportunity to thank you for taking the time to peruse and support this blog. Let me tell you, it turned out to be quite an undertaking but I think I have come to appreciate that

Reading through this thread just reinforces my hunch that @JohnS doesn't have any cigars of his own!

1217971588_2019-06-0115_50_46.jpg.76dc272ce45cfeee4240162d88376803.jpg

San Cristóbal de la Habana El Príncipe TOS Jun 2016

I lit this up after having a very bland Montecristo Line 1935 Maltes and thought to myself that the old reliable SCdLH El Principe flavour hit from the first few puffs was quite a charm. Sadly, this was a false dawn. I got some sweet molasses and muted cocoa and coffee and the cigar just didn't pick up from that whatsoever.

Still, it was not totally bland and it was much better than the Maltes. I chalk this El Principe cigar to having 'one of those days'. Yes, we all have them. The good news is that the El Principe is rarely like this for me and so I look forward to the next one.

• Like 2

662711388_2019-06-0116_27_13.jpg.7f00791a188469d52838aa4075b43867.jpg

Romeo y Julieta Short Churchills LAT Feb 2018

No chocolate or cocoa notes, no wood and again a little muted on the flavour side, this Romeo y Julieta Short Churchill was a 'step up' from my previous cigars I had today in terms of construction and taste. Before we burst out into praise though, it still was in the 'average' to a 'bit better than okay' class.

The redeeming element to this cigar was the berry and turkish delight, married with some spice in the back half. In case you're curious, there's no surprises in stating that no, I didn't nub this cigar this time!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

1095432304_2019-06-0519_21_49.jpg.06265038232b3723a365ac854a82d1a5.jpg

Romeo y Julieta Churchills ASO Nov 2016

This Romeo y Julieta Churchill represents a curious and rare scenario because this particular one was smoked on a night where three different people smoked one from the same box (code) and all three came to different conclusions. Aah, the joys and pitfalls of Habanos cigar smoking!

I split this box with @jay8354 (thanks @Raskol for making it possible) and he had one and I gifted one to my son, George. Jase found the flavours too subtle (or muted) for his liking, George found his bland toasted tobacco (or wood) and mine...well, okay it was supremely sensational! Yes, cherry, anise, turkish delight, cocoa and toasted tobacco from the get go and in perfect balance. And when did we come to our conclusions? Well, from the very beginning and our cigars stayed the same way throughout.

Thus, I concede that the RyJ Churchill, for me, has been a cigar that has been excellent of late, yet, when they are bland...yes, they are ordinary. However, I'd be willing to admit that my propensity to suffer the ordinary ones is a bit higher than the average enthusiast. (The same would apply for the Punch Punch.)

• Like 2

305307492_2019-06-0521_01_06.jpg.d756427d1f2fade30a409bc81ce37ba5.jpg

Trinidad Vigia SLE Oct 2016

Believe it or not, this was the first time I've sampled a Trinidad Vigia. I gifted one to my son, George and he felt it was his favourite cigar of the night (he also had a 2016 RyJ Churchill and 2016 H. Upmann Half Corona).

I concur, it was very, very good and even better to nub into the last third. The main things I appreciated about this cigar was the strong hay/barnyard cold draw and the coffee, dough, hay, spice and butter texture to the cigar.

The only slight I had against this Vigia was the ring gauge, especially as I much preferred the ring gauge of the next cigar I lit up after this one, the H.Upmann Half Corona (which is 5/32nds of an inch or 4 millimetres less in diameter).

• Like 1

1126478565_2019-06-0521_55_06.jpg.3548acfb1763190f00eaaac9718197fb.jpg

H. Upmann Half Corona EOT Nov 2016

If you've ever wondered what it's like to have a shorter cigar with a little age on it, especially one like the H.Upmann Half Corona, which is intense in flavour when young, then please kindly read on.

I find the Half Corona a great option for a 30 to 40 minute smoke, but I don't reach for them often as I find them very strong in coffee and tobacco flavour when in their youth and light on that quintessential Upmann shortbread. This Half Corona was not like that and I guess 2-and-a-half years of rest saw the coffee flavours recede and the shortbread flavours build. It was very pleasant to smoke it like this. I have three left from a 5x5 tin split I did with some Sydney FoH members (I took one 5-count tin) and I would imagine I'll smoke all three in the next 6 months.

• Like 1

288326915_2019-06-1010_48_53.jpg.7feb66a75767918f0547f0d7d0a5096a.jpg

Bolívar Belicosos Finos LMB Feb 2019

The Bolivar Belicosos Finos represents a marca I don't readily identify with as a Habanos cigar enthusiast, yet from time-to-time I continue to challenge my preferences (and biases) by smoking one. I picked these up recently as a quarter pack option from a 24:24 listing, and I am glad I did.

Your average Piramide (also known colloquially as a Torpedo) is 52 ring gauge x 156 mm in length, the BBF is a Campanas and so is slightly smaller at 52 ring gauge x 140 mm in length. I've found them quite reliable in construction and flavour delivery over the years, on the odd occasion I have one. This one, however, I really enjoyed!

Like my previous Bolivar, a Gold Medal from 2007, this had a gorgeous soft cocoa and marshmallow texture to it from the 'get-go'. This combined with a bitter malt, nutmeg, cream and towards the last third a build up in earth and leather flavours made for a wonderfully complex and ideal cigar for a change from my usual 'go-to' cigars.

• Like 1

1541298745_2019-06-1013_29_24.jpg.bf78b2c8a7355cd64256ba2b7843e509.jpg

Punch Punch UBM Ago 2018

On a recent poll on our forum relating to recent inconsistent cigars the Punch Punch, unfortunately, rated negatively for being prone to blandness. I guess it's a shame because my last one from this box code was sensational and this one today was quite similar.

Again, the flavours were spot on...Cuban twang (that sour tart, citrus-type essence that is unique to Cuban cigars), cedar and cloved spice towards the end of the second third onwards made this a pure joy to nub.

The Punch Punch is a Corona Gorda, 46 ring gauge x 143 mm in length. I find this medium ring gauge ideal (or even a little lower as I consider 42 ring gauge, which coincidentally is 2/3 of an inch, perfect). I wonder what the upcoming release of the Punch Short de Punch will be like at 50 ring gauge x 120 mm in comparison?

• Like 1

1617630775_2019-06-1016_44_05.jpg.97c4fe3d5b1d5bb236faee13e9cf5252.jpg

Trinidad Vigia SLE Oct 2016

I had a Trinidad Vigia for the first time last week so I decided to smoke another soon after to compare notes. This had a strong butter flavour again, combined with a wonderful hay/barnyard on the cold draw and coffee, dough and hay (with the butter texture) throughout.

The only thing that let this cigar down was the bunched leaves in the middle which effected the wrapper burn from drawing down squarely. I had to touch it up a few times but it was fine by the end.

In conclusion, yes, this is a fine addition to the Trinidad marca, but for me the 54 ring gauge is an 'acquired' taste that will take some getting used to, especially as I have had so many Reyes and Fundadores over the years!

• Like 1

394838832_2019-06-1019_41_18.jpg.fb4be3fd80b66767d5c93053ee75d792.jpg

San Cristóbal de la Habana La Fuerza LGR Jun 2018

I picked up a quarter pack of these a few months ago and again, I'm very glad I did! The SCdLH La Fuerza I had in the 2018 Xmas Sampler in January this year was smoked on a wet, humid night and so it was a struggle to get decent flavour out of it, however, this cigar and the last one from this six-pack acquisition have been great.

In comparison to an El Principe this was definitely milder and, believe it or not, sweeter! The cocoa, coffee and molasses was there but the pancake texture was more obvious here. The molasses was even sweeter than normal, something akin to nougat, it was that rich.

As with my last cigar, a Trinidad Vigia, the only criticism of this cigar I had was the bunched leaves in the middle third which required a few touch-ups and re-lights. This only lasted for a little while and it corrected itself in the last third.

• Like 1

2073136525_2019-03-1507_47_21.jpg.b4ecbfba81fbde905d8782cf4102e830.jpg

Rafael González Perlas Original Release circa 2011 (thanks @cfc1016!)

I must thank @cfc1016 for the opportunity to smoke this original release Rafael Gonzalez Perlas from 2011. These were originally available in the European market, specifically Spain and then England, from what I understand. In comparison to many Perlas I've had over the years, all mainly from 2015 onwards, this was more dominant in earthy flavours. The cocoa was muted, very light, and the cigar now has taken on more floral notes. Baking spice was also a key flavour, but honey sweetness was minimal. So, in summary, very different to the Perlas I've enjoyed at around 3 years of age, but nonetheless quite enjoyable for a smaller cigar over 30 minutes due to its mildness and refinement.

• Like 4

1682131026_2019-03-1516_22_58.jpg.28ac2b5808f8974d4664a032b1ef47d5.jpg

Hoyo de Monterrey Le Hoyo du Prince SUA Dic 2002 (again thank you kindly, @cfc1016!)

It was only just a week ago that I smoked a Hoyo de Monterrey Le Hoyo du Prince from 2016, this du Prince was bandless, as they all were prior to 2005. The only Le Hoyo linea cigar I've had of that age has been the des Dieux, and this was very different to that.

Before I enunciate the difference, I must acknowledge again the kindness of @cfc1016 in making this all possible. This 2002 du Prince was full-flavoured and still medium in strength, this fact alone surprised me. In terms of flavours I hesitate in describing where to begin as the complexity was quite significant. Firstly, the underlying cedar and cloved spice was there throughout the whole cigar and it was most certainly creamy at the beginning, but towards the second third the tone completely changed, with earthy (perhaps even mushroom) and herbal or grass flavours taking over. In the final third the spiciness really kicked in and it made me reflect on the fact that these Le Hoyo cigars really do have a long-life, I could have easily aged this for another 5 years and I don't think it would have diminished the quality of the cigar in any way.

In conclusion, if you were fortunate enough to pick up a box of these when their deletion was announced in early 2017, then know that the du Prince is a cigar that benefits from long-term aging indeed. Good luck if you can hold on them that long!

• Like 4

78663785_2019-03-1517_56_02.jpg.a0e486276f793b6bee05b984300084e2.jpg

Quai d'Orsay No. 50 SMA Jul 2018

Ah yes, this...along with the Quai d'Orsay No.54, is the cigar that is the hottest and most-hyped cigar on our forum currently. How can this be? Was anyone smoking fresh Quai d'Orsay Coronas 2 years ago, let alone the last of the Churchill-sized Quai d'Orsay Imperiales, last seen in 2014? For a marca that's only seen 5 different Regional Editions from 2011 until 2017 worldwide, the turnaround is quite remarkable. In 2018 alone we saw the release of these two new regular production Quai d'Orsay Nos.' 50 and 54, two new Regional Edition and even a new upcoming 2019 Limited Edition announced (the Senadores - in a rare Hermosos No.2 size!) Is the rebranding enough to explain a marca's resurgence from the dead?

In my opinion, the answer is flatly no. It's quite easy to tell from smoking this Quai d'Orsay No.50 'right-off-the-truck', so-to-speak, that quality leaf has gone into these new regular production Quai d'Orsay. It's also quite easy to tell that these will age well, like standard Quai d'Orsay does. The reason lies in the complexity of the smoking experience I enjoyed in sampling this Petit Robusto that will surely put a dent in the sales of all other Petit Robustos currently, except perhaps for the Montecristo Petit Edmundo.

The Quai d'Orsay is a 50 ring gauge x 110 mm cigar, the same size as a Partagas Serie D No.5, so give yourself around 45 to 55 minutes to smoke it, maybe less, even maybe a little more. The first third had sweet gingerbread and toffee notes and was mild and creamy, the middle third was more herbal and licorice/honey and the final third was more cedar and toasted hazelnut. So yes, complex but only because of its youth, but give it a little rest and you'll find the edges of this cigar will wear off and will meld and round off quite nicely. Then again, no-one will blame you (or me) if you have another 'right-off-the-truck', so-to-speak, in the meantime!

• Like 3

1413338817_2019-03-1520_12_01.jpg.6e781cef20853cd033d1748c394e602f.jpg

Montecristo No.2 GOS Ago 2018

This came from a 10-count box of lighter-wrappered Montecristo No.2's because I wanted to smoke some Monte 2's that were approachable younger, and for my tastes, that means lighter colorado claro wrappers by preference.

So this did not disappoint at all. I loved the Montecristo cocoa, coffee and nut combination, a dollop of cream and a tasty citrus tang all the way that didn't let up in intensity from beginning to end!

• Like 3

778053444_2019-03-1919_49_41.jpg.b73065b780433a4ad39294b3b5a4b94b.jpg

Quai d'Orsay No. 54 MSU Jul 2018

I smoked this 'right-off-the-truck' to compare it to the Quai d'Orsay No.50 I smoked this week. As you may be aware, the hype on these new releases is very hot, a re-branding so successful that demand can't keep up, a new 2019 Hermosos No.2 Limited Edition is coming out (yes it's true and Quai d'Orsay is not even a Global Brand...but hey, we did get the Punch Regios de Punch LE in 2017 too!) and the price on these went up 8% in April, 2019. So you got all that? It's a lot to take in!

Back to the important stuff...how did this smoke in comparison to the QdO No.50? I found the 50 more flavoursome and complex in general for this stage of its youth. The No.54 began with creamy, cedar and hazelnut notes, but these soon settled into the middle third with a faint shortbread flavour. The final third saw the return of the cedar and hazelnut. In between there was a little honey and/or vanilla sweetness but honestly, at this stage, not much. Both the Nos'. 50 and 54 were impeccably constructed and smoked very well. Ash was consistent. They were both very mild smokes, you could easily smoke either one first thing in the morning and they wouldn't overwhelm your palate.

Perhaps I will smoke a few more of these soon to get more notes but in summary, I would think the No.50 is more approachable right now and the No.54 is more suited to a good 3 to 5 years rest from my experience with cigars like these, just like traditional Quai d'Orsay releases.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, JohnS said:

1413338817_2019-03-1520_12_01.jpg.6e781cef20853cd033d1748c394e602f.jpg

Montecristo No.2 GOS Ago 2018

This came from a 10-count box of lighter-wrappered Montecristo No.2's because I wanted to smoke some Monte 2's that were approachable younger, and for my tastes, that means lighter colorado claro wrappers by preference.

So this did not disappoint at all. I loved the Montecristo cocoa, coffee and nut combination, a dollop of cream and a tasty citrus tang all the way that didn't let up in intensity from beginning to end!

I’m smoking one right now.  Same year but box code unknown.  It was immediate cocoa and nut in the first 3rd but now I’m in to the 2nd 3rd and it’s devoid of flavor for me.  Tobacco with a little spice but the cocoa and nut are hiding.  My palate can’t detect the citrus, though I wish I could.  The Monte 2 is classic CC and for that reason, I’m wanting to like it more.  In the last week I had a Diplomaticos No 2 (same vitola) and a Monte Especiale No 2 (same marca) and both I found superior in flavor and overall experience.  With this being my first Monte 2, I won’t write it off but here’s hoping the final 3rd brings back the cocoa, nut, creaminess I was hoping for (and the citrus is welcome too if it wishes to stop by). 

Does the Monte 2 benefit more from aging in your experience? This is a lighter wrapper as well though the shadow in the picture makes it appear darker than it is. 

B3EDF7B6-EA76-46CD-BD83-75928B056C5A.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/8/2019 at 8:59 AM, Thirds said:

I’m smoking one right now.  Same year but box code unknown.  It was immediate cocoa and nut in the first 3rd but now I’m in to the 2nd 3rd and it’s devoid of flavor for me.  Tobacco with a little spice but the cocoa and nut are hiding.  My palate can’t detect the citrus, though I wish I could.  The Monte 2 is classic CC and for that reason, I’m wanting to like it more.  In the last week I had a Diplomaticos No 2 (same vitola) and a Monte Especiale No 2 (same marca) and both I found superior in flavor and overall experience.  With this being my first Monte 2, I won’t write it off but here’s hoping the final 3rd brings back the cocoa, nut, creaminess I was hoping for (and the citrus is welcome too if it wishes to stop by). 

Does the Monte 2 benefit more from aging in your experience? This is a lighter wrapper as well though the shadow in the picture makes it appear darker than it is. 

B3EDF7B6-EA76-46CD-BD83-75928B056C5A.jpeg

What you are describing, @Thirds is the very fine line at which these Montecristo No.2's have flavour and when they are so subtle in their youth that they are just nutty/cocoa bland with no complexity. In my experience, aging Montecristo No. 2's has had value for me in the past when the wrappers had more sheen and more oils and the taste was overwhelmingly cocoa/coffee and tobacco. When they are like this, then yes, you can rest them and as the cigar settles you'll find the more subtle nut and leather flavours will come to the fore and the cocoa/coffee recedes. In your case, I've experienced that nutty subtlety too and I can live with it, but no, I don't think resting it improves it, in that case. However, I would highly doubt that you'd get one Montecristo No.2 after the other like that (subtle towards blandness) from a box, so hang in there, and remember these are Habanos cigars we are talking about! ?

Now, as for the Montecristo Especiales No.2 and the Diplomaticos No.2, yes, we are talking about two cigars that have proved quite popular on our forum during 2018. I have enjoyed some very flavoursome examples of these two cigars in the last 12 to 24 months and they are not as subtle as the light-wrappered Montecristo No.2's we've described. In fact, the Especiales No.2 can be absolutely sensational with some age on them (think 5 to 10 years) but my last quarter pack didn't last 2! Thank God (and El Pres) I have a box stashed away in my OLH!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JohnS said:

so hang in there, and remember these are Habanos cigars we are talking about! ?

@JohnS  Thanks for giving me hope for the Monte 2.  I value your input and your time.  They can’t all be sensational, I guess.  It’s the big fish that keeps you casting, the great golf shot that inspires another round and a sensational Habanos that sets you on a quest for the next.  Thanks again. 

• Like 1

774801725_2019-06-1119_45_54.jpg.02e5ef1f55221908252ac8b9f5a64f3e.jpg

Partagás Serie D No.6 RAE Dic 2014

I think I'm down to my last one after this cigar, but they've been good to me. I guess I'm lucky that these weren't huge sellers since construction has been quite sound on all of them. Habanos S.A. already sells 'truckloads' of Shorts and Serie D No.4's, why bring this out, I hear you say? On top of that, package them in an awkward square-shaped 20-count box which makes it more expensive to ship in a mastercase and yes, these were always doomed, from a marketing point of view.

I got some really nice core Partagas sourdough, coffee and leather flavours out of this, plus a ton of smoke per draw. The huge volumes of smoke necessitated me to smoke it slower than normal, I think I took somewhere around 45 to 50 minutes. It makes me wonder how James Suckling finished it in seven minutes in his published review on the cigar!

At least Habanos S.A. have adjusted the pricing on this recently and now it's more in line with the price of other Partagas cigars. Then again, it may be a case of  'too little, too late'.

• Like 2

346984113_2019-06-1209_57_53.jpg.49f80066244542b150ad22e9ca827305.jpg

San Cristóbal de la Habana El Príncipe TOS Jun 2016

I simply needed another El Principe after my last one was so average, so it was well worth digging through my humidor to find another one today. I'm glad to report that it was simply perfect!

In relation to the La Fuerza I had this week, this had your typical cocoa, coffee and molasses sweetness but had more strength (around medium) and was spicy, which I loved.

• Like 2

706360653_2019-06-1213_25_14.jpg.98ec2fec69f7b2ff103a9fece8521de6.jpg

Por Larrañaga Montecarlos LGR Oct 2017

I've smoked enough from this box now this year to contemplate how important it is to get another! Nothing, and I mean nothing, beats this in the Habanos catalogue in terms of value for money.

Caramel in spades, a little wood and some punch with the spice that was evident, this was a lovely way to spend an afternoon on a warm winter's day in the sun!

• Like 3

774222649_2019-06-1416_34_14.jpg.d4263f9da80a5875e7460e2f6f3205c1.jpg

Cohiba Siglo I OBM Nov 2015

The Cohiba Siglo I is the smallest of the Siglo range, a perlas (like the Montecristo No.5 and Rafael Gonzalez Perlas), it is slightly smaller than a minuto (like the San Cristobal de La Habana El Principe or Partagas Shorts) at 40 ring gauge x 102 mm or 4 inches in length. It's been a little while since I've had a Siglo I, perhaps around six months, so I considered that it was time to re-visit this cigar at the 3-and-a-half year mark.

I've found that the Siglo I tends to be the strongest of the Linea 1492 range (i.e. Cohiba Siglo I, II, III, IV, V and VI). That doesn't necessarily mean that it gets above medium to medium-full, rather they are more intense in those typical Cohiba flavours than other cigars in this line. This was certainly true again in this case, and it was never above medium in strength at any stage.

The flavours were strongest in that core Cohiba grass and hay, with some honey and notes of black espresso coffee building in intensity in the back half. There was no real citrus, spice or cream texture to the cigar at this stage of its development. Then again, I've had Siglo I aged over 10 years in the past and even these still had grass/hay and coffee notes dominate over any creamy texture that develops from resting. That's the Cohiba Siglo I for you. I enjoyed it today for what it offered me...a quality 30 to 35 minute smoke to cap off a productive day.

• Like 1

229258171_2019-06-1420_44_58.jpg.98074daa49818d722f84f813b72a7476.jpg

Cohiba Coronas Especiales AUM Jul 2014

The Coronas Especiales has the exact dimensions as the Montecristo Especiales No.2 (38 ring gauge x 152 mm or 6 inches in length) and boy do I love its size. What a shame I don't have it more often! I think a recent 24:24 listing of this cigar prompted me to re-visit it today. At just on 5 years rested I wondered how this was coming along?

The first few puffs more than answered my question...quite nicely, thank you! In comparison to the Cohiba Siglo I I had before this cigar, this was more lighter in coffee and hay and much sweeter. Milk coffee, light hay, honey and vanilla notes was evident from the 'get-go' in good volumes of smoke per draw until curiously I hit the middle of the first third and noticed a burn-hole developing. Yes, it was the dreaded mouse-hole burn again (caused by a tunnel in the filling and incorrectly bunched leaves), the second time this has occurred this year, and it resulted in no smoke or flavour for about a quarter inch of the cigar. As I persevered through this there was a related runner-burn that developed but this settled around the end of the first third, the whole mouse-hole and runner burn issue, and related touch-ups on the wrapper lasted about an inch of its length, there were no more construction issues after this, thankfully!

Paradoxically, the cigar flavour-wise, apart from that one-quarter of a inch where the mouse-hole burn originated, was outstanding, it could not be faulted. The only improvement I could envisage in the future for the remaining sticks from this box would be more evidence of creaminess, otherwise the middle third and final thirds of this CCE were fantastic!

• Like 2

489987572_2019-06-1513_42_08.jpg.ba4a6713f4fca8ed20e14d186ad8c8f1.jpg

Partagás Lusitanias UEB Jun 2018

The Partagas Lusitanias is perhaps up there as one of my very favourite Partagas vitolas, it's just a pity I don't smoke them too often. The reason? Simply because they take a minimum of 2 hours to smoke!

This 'Lusi' was picked up in a quarter pack offering from a 24:24 listing this year. I was both surprised and pleased how 'colorado red' the wrappers were on each of these, so I let them rest and today was the day to try one out. This cigar was interesting to say the least.

It wasn't the flavours as they were quite satisfactory. Partagas sourdough, milk coffee, leather, a little paprika spice and caramel-like sweetness (what El Pres lists as nougat) was evident throughout, rather it was the ash. You see, a standard cigar will burn around the ligero leaves in the centre, that is if it's larger than around 38 ring gauge and it contains ligero leaves, and in doing so it will leave a slight cone shape as the ash drops signifying that the seco and volado leaves around the core burn quicker and hence drop off accordingly. Sometimes a well-constructed cigar will ash off in seemingly perfect inch-long cylindrical tufts, this cigar just ashed as it went.

The ash was never longer than 1/3 to a 1/2 inch in length, and this only happened 2 or 3 times, usually the cigar flaked white ash, yet flavour-wise it was fine. What causes this phenomenon? There are two reasons mainly; one, the minerality in the soil of the leaves used was higher than normal or two, the ligero leaf in the centre was not rolled into the core correctly. If it was the second reason then you are likely to find some tunneling going on as you go, but this wasn't the case.

No matter, I enjoyed this Lusitanias and I hope to smoke another when I get the opportunity.

• Like 2