JohnS' Smoking Diary 2019

1770052944_2019-06-1517_00_56.jpg.032c925ce3dd9e5820dcb9c4e600055f.jpg

Ramón Allones Gigantes ABO Ene 2019

The Ramon Allones Gigantes represents a Habanos vitola of which there are only four left. At 49 ring gauge x 194 millimetres in length (or 7.6 inches), this Double Corona requires a minimum of 2 hours to smoke. They always seem mild in strength to me when invariably I find the time to smoke one, they definitely are never medium to medium-full. However, together with the Partagas Lusitanias, Hoyo de Monterrey Double Corona and Punch Double Corona, they represent a vitola that, unlike Lonsdales and Churchills, hasn't been depleted completely in the last 20 years or so. Still, this hasn't stopped recent rumours circulating that the Gigantes is on the way out. Maybe the Vegas Robaina Don Alejandro and Saint Luis Rey Double Corona's discontinuations has fueled such speculation? I certainly hope not, yet time will tell.

This Gigantes started off really well. There was a beautiful balance of cocoa, light coffee and stewed fruit flavours, but as the cigar reached the end of the first third, the fruit flavours dissipated and the cocoa flavour dominated. I put this down to its youthfulness, those pleasant fruity flavours are there, they just need more time down to express themselves in the future. In comparison to aged RA Gigantes I've had in the past, this cigar was definitely in need of more rest as with significant aging (think something like 10 years) they develop a wondrous baking spice that marries well with the cocoa and fruit flavours.

The construction on this was perfect, however. The ash dropped off in one inch lots each time, the burn was consistent, there were no touch-ups and the draw was spot on too. I know I need to rest these longer but I'm still tempted to see how the next one is from the same box code. Perhaps we'll see in six months or so.

• Like 3

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This Smoking Diary is dedicated to @Wertman (and other members who requested it in the Daily Smoke thread) and serves as a reference for the information linked to the cigars I have smoked, and will sm

I'd like to take the opportunity to thank you for taking the time to peruse and support this blog. Let me tell you, it turned out to be quite an undertaking but I think I have come to appreciate that

Reading through this thread just reinforces my hunch that @JohnS doesn't have any cigars of his own!

846684930_2019-06-1816_37_37.jpg.a0c1f87d088c51ab828735d295727d21.jpg

Sancho Panza Non Plus ABR Sep 2011

Of all the aged Sancho Non Plus I've smoked from this 2011 box, this has probably been the most interesting. Why? simply because there was practically no floral element or creaminess to this smoke! Instead, I got a deep wood and tobacco flavour married with a saltiness on the palate and this stayed constant throughout.

It was much like a youthful SP Non Plus, only they tend to be more 'toasty'. Still, some nice flavours were to be had on this one.

• Like 1

1203011665_2019-06-1819_19_53.jpg.d0157455084cd544f777ce7915dc2000.jpg

Montecristo No.4 UEB May 2018

This is my 5th Monte No.4 from this box and at 12 months old, well...they've all been wonderful! Some of the previous ones had a gorgeous citrus note to them, this had a deep cocoa element to it instead which I adored, with milk coffee and some hints of nut and citrus there too.

I still maintain that when a Montecristo No.4 is 'on' there's simply nothing better in the Habanos catalogue. Perhaps that's why they sell so well. If only they were all like this one!

• Like 2

1895034148_2019-06-1821_37_10.jpg.c29320bc714d938eca9c149434f10cb4.jpg

Cohiba Robustos AMO Nov 2016

I'd like to thank @jay8354 for gifting me this cigar. At 2-and-a-half years of age, this tasted like it was turning a corner, so-to-speak, in that the honey sweetness was more evident than younger CoRos I've had and the mocha coffee less so. There was some grass/hay and citrus too but not hint of butter or cream, which I'm not surprised about, as these are more likely with this cigar with more age on it.

Construction and draw was spot on and overall it was fantastic. I may seek out a 5 year-old Cohiba Robustos (or two) from my humidor in the near future to compare it with this one.

• Like 2

On 7/16/2019 at 1:14 AM, JohnS said:

1770052944_2019-06-1517_00_56.jpg.032c925ce3dd9e5820dcb9c4e600055f.jpg

Ramón Allones Gigantes ABO Ene 2019

The Ramon Allones Gigantes represents a Habanos vitola of which there are only four left. At 49 ring gauge x 194 millimetres in length (or 7.6 inches), this Double Corona requires a minimum of 2 hours to smoke. They always seem mild in strength to me when invariably I find the time to smoke one, they definitely are never medium to medium-full. However, together with the Partagas Lusitanias, Hoyo de Monterrey Double Corona and Punch Double Corona, they represent a vitola that, unlike Lonsdales and Churchills, hasn't been depleted completely in the last 20 years or so. Still, this hasn't stopped recent rumours circulating that the Gigantes is on the way out. Maybe the Vegas Robaina Don Alejandro and Saint Luis Rey Double Corona's discontinuations has fueled such speculation? I certainly hope not, yet time will tell.

This Gigantes started off really well. There was a beautiful balance of cocoa, light coffee and stewed fruit flavours, but as the cigar reached the end of the first third, the fruit flavours dissipated and the cocoa flavour dominated. I put this down to its youthfulness, those pleasant fruity flavours are there, they just need more time down to express themselves in the future. In comparison to aged RA Gigantes I've had in the past, this cigar was definitely in need of more rest as with significant aging (think something like 10 years) they develop a wondrous baking spice that marries well with the cocoa and fruit flavours.

The construction on this was perfect, however. The ash dropped off in one inch lots each time, the burn was consistent, there were no touch-ups and the draw was spot on too. I know I need to rest these longer but I'm still tempted to see how the next one is from the same box code. Perhaps we'll see in six months or so.

Question for you: RA is considered a stronger(nicotine) brand in Habanos lineup as is Bolivar, given the Gigantes is a much larger size than say the RASS, is it less nicotine heavy to allow the smoker to not OD from the strength, and enjoy the size without being too affected by the nicotine? Or are sizes like this just as strong? I love the RA flavor profile but even after 5+ years of cigar smoking I still can't handle the nicotine buzz very well. 

1 hour ago, Ry27 said:

Question for you: RA is considered a stronger(nicotine) brand in Habanos lineup as is Bolivar, given the Gigantes is a much larger size than say the RASS, is it less nicotine heavy to allow the smoker to not OD from the strength, and enjoy the size without being too affected by the nicotine? Or are sizes like this just as strong? I love the RA flavor profile but even after 5+ years of cigar smoking I still can't handle the nicotine buzz very well.

I hear what you are saying. I've had that 'nicotine buzz' on the odd occasion with Robusto-sized RASS or Juan Lopez Seleccion No.2, but not with Double Coronas (as they are milder). The RA Gigantes, I can safely presume, is unlikely to hit you in the head in comparison to a RASS of the same age.

9 hours ago, JohnS said:

I hear what you are saying. I've had that 'nicotine buzz' on the odd occasion with Robusto-sized RASS or Juan Lopez Seleccion No.2, but not with Double Coronas (as they are milder). The RA Gigantes, I can safely presume, is unlikely to hit you in the head in comparison to a RASS of the same age.

Thanks, John. That makes sense.

Your reviews always put me in the mood to light one up. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, JohnS said:

Thank you kindly! ?

Rob should put you on the pay roll. Great reviews, John. Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1808161466_2019-06-2016_50_01.jpg.35090ffc4e85fc3b0edbd4dce1cf6abe.jpg

El Rey del Mundo Choix Suprême MLU Nov 2018

This six-month old cigar came from a quarter pack acquisition from a 24:24 listing a few months ago. If you can recall, we had the option to get the darker wrappered or lighter wrappered ERdM Choix Supreme. Our forum members were split 50/50 down the middle. I opted for the lighter wrapper.

El Pres recommends to rest these for 30 to 60 days after you get them young and then dry box for a few days. This is sound advice. The El Rey del Mundo Choix Supreme is best enjoyed at around mild-medium and under in strength and with subtle flavours, after all, it's a lighter cigar in the Habanos catalogue.

This had the quintessential ERdM shortbread and honey with some almond nut and a lovely citrus tang throughout which kept the cigar flavoursome and interesting for me. In comparison to older ERdM Choix Supreme I've had, the almond nuttiness was not as evident and older ones can become more creamy, which is when they reach their peak according to my preference.

• Like 3

1133475879_2019-06-2618_00_23.jpg.1f2cd0e3fadf15102789376a9f7122a5.jpg

Sancho Panza Eslavo 2014 - Edición Regional Serbia (circa 2015 - thanks @ayepatz!)

I humbly thank @ayepatz for the opportunity to smoke a cigar I never thought I'd have the chance to.

The Sancho Panza Eslavo was released in 2015 as the first Serbian Regional Edition (and only one so far). Kalian Caribe is the distributor for the domestic and duty free market of Bulgaria, Albania, Armenia and Macedonia, Republic of Serbia, Montenegro, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia and Eslovenia. Faced with the choice of what marca to choose and vitola for this Regional Edition, most retailers would opt for safe choices such as a Petit Robusto or similar in the Ramon Allones (39 releases since 2005), Bolivar (32 releases since 2005) or Punch (22 releases since 2005) marcas. Sancho Panza is not a marca one associates with Regional Editions, and for that matter, neither is the Nro.109 size. Furthermore, distributing these in a 50 cab box had the hallmark for a marketing disaster, yet, the exact opposite occurred, 1000 boxes (some sources state 1200) of 50 cabs sold out quicker than the proverbial 'blink of an eye'.

I believe it's this quality Nro.109 vitola that caught the eye of enthusiasts with this release. The dimensions of a 50 ring gauge cigar by 184 mm or 7¼ inches in length with its distinctive tapered head used to be the size of the Partagas Lusitanias and Ramon Allones Gigantes until 1976. In 1995 it came back with the Partagás 109 that was part of the 150 Aniversario Humidor, with repeat appearances in 2000 and 2010 for the 155th and 165th anniversaries, respectively. Hoyo de Moneterrey received a Lusitanias of its own in 1999 as part of the Siglo XXI Millennium Humidor, and then in 2003 the Hoyo de Monterrey Extravaganza used the format. Since that time it's been used in five Regional Editions:

2007 — Edmundo Dantes El Conde 109 (ER Mexico)
    2009 — Bolívar 5ta Avenida (ER Alemania)
    2011 — Punch Clasicos (ER Suiza)
    2014 — Diplomáticos Bushido (ER Asia Pacifico)
    2014 — Sancho Panza Eslavo (ER Serbia)

(Source: https://halfwheel.com/sancho-panza-eslavo-er-serbia-2014/119439)

Like the Diplomaticos Bushido released in the same year and with the same dimensions, the SP Eslavo was reputed and hyped at its original release date. Having smoked this one, how does it compare to a normal Sancho Panza release? Well, in comparison to an aged Sancho Panza Molinos, Non Plus or Belicosos, for example, you may expect some floral notes and/or creaminess, however, this Eslavos cigar was closest in character to a recent SP Belicocos. This was evident in the quality toasted tobacco and bread flavours, combined with the typical wood and salt one gets from Sancho Panza. One thing that was unique was the deeper roasted walnut or cashew nut flavour on this.

If you ever have the chance to source this cigar, kindly do yourself a favour and don't deny yourself the opportunity. You'll be glad you were so kind to yourself!

• Like 4

888796088_2019-06-2621_00_22.jpg.10efade16548e3f86a09f6f83b744e1c.jpg

La Puntilla Custom (thanks @El Presidente)

The previous La Puntilla custom I had was both savoury and creamy, reminding me of an aged H.Upmann Connoisseur No.1. Rob has mentioned that the blend was aimed with a little Montecristo cocoa, a little Por Larranaga sweetness and nut and tonight, after being gifted this cigar by him (thank you kindly El Pres) he further mentioned that the creaminess in this is meant to peak around the 3-year mark.

What a wonderful vitola this is at 40 ring gauge x 160 mm or 6¼ inches in length. This cigar was not as nutty or savoury as the La Puntilla I sampled six months ago. Rather, it was creamy all the way, with some cinnamon spice here and there to add to its superlative qualities. This custom cigar is a 'must-have' for those of you who are committed Habanos enthusiasts. If you get the opportunity to sample it in the future I know you'll be glad you did!

• Like 3

443278845_2019-06-2719_14_06.jpg.72af740b99670e6d96cb9d4747c0bd17.jpg

La Gloria Cubana Medaille d'Or No.4 ETP Oct 2015 (thanks @Luca!)

Thank you @Luca for gifting me this awesome cigar. What is awesome about this La Gloria Cubana Medaille d'Or No.4? Well, firstly the vitola dimensions...who among us doesn't appreciate the throwback to the thin ring gauge? At 32 ring gauge x 152 mm or 6 inches in length, like the slightly bigger Por Larranaga Montecarlos (33 ring gauge x 159 mm), this cigar needs to be smoked slowly to be appreciated. Secondly, it's fantastically complex, like La Gloria Cubana in general, which benefits from a rested period, in my opinion.

I loved the fruit, wood and subtle spice in this cigar today, but what I really enjoyed was the nutty creaminess that I found more evident at this stage of its rest (3 years) than more youthful varieties of the LGC Medaille d'Or No.4.

My conclusion after smoking this today was to source a box for myself and soon. The only problem with that is resisting the temptation to smoke them too quickly, both as a cigar and in regards to giving them time to mature.

• Like 4

1705210474_2019-06-2720_21_28.jpg.64d34fcc4dffed44a4885ec4be484ee3.jpg

Romeo y Julieta Churchills ASO Nov 2016

If you've been following my 2019 smoking diary thus far, you'd know that the Romeo y Julieta Churchills has been a 'go-to' cigar for me ever since they turned a corner, so-to-speak, around 2016. Prior to this I had a terrible run of toasted tobacco blandness varieties for a few years and what this experience has taught me is to keep an open mind to cigars, especially in relation to preferred marcas and vitolas.

This was mainly berries and turkish delight with some cocoa and toasted tobacco. There was very little anise (or licorice) and overall it was quite good. I smoked it over 105 minutes and it kept my attention for that period, I never got bored with it. The final third didn't heat up or turn bitter, thankfully.

• Like 3

1594563175_2019-06-2722_19_13.jpg.9a2602228f8894d042f0cf5f8d3141e7.jpg

Montecristo No.2 GOS Ago 2018

The Montecristo No.2 is the highest selling torpedo in the Habanos S.A inventory and I would say it's been that way for quite some time. Perhaps the only other cigars that outsell it would be the Partagas Serie D No.4 and Montecristo No.4. This is a cigar I like to re-visit every few months. I also prefer them more rested if darker-wrappered for the cocoa and coffee flavour to settle and I prefer them younger if lighter-wrappered as I tend to find these more nutty and prone to emphasise a Monte citrus-twang.

This Monte No.2 came from a recent August 2018 light-wrappered 10-count box and it continued the trend of offering light cocoa, milk coffee, nut and citrus-twang throughout its core. I hope to re-visit this at the beginning of Spring, in a few months time.

• Like 4

616843529_2019-06-2821_25.51-1.jpg.7a5408832456527ceba2771246cb57b0.jpg

Trinidad Vigia SLE OCT 2016

Like the recent last two I've had, this had a strong hay/barnyard cold draw and very pleasant coffee, dough, hay, spice and butter texture to the cigar. Flavour-wise I categorically assert that these are a winner. The ring gauge is something I'm maybe becoming more accustomed to!

• Like 4

8 hours ago, JohnS said:

1922033471_2019-06-2819_41_17.jpg.ee04edf65e851627a82f5b58b6d615d0.jpg

Saint Luis Rey Serie A GAT Sep 2012

You have to wonder what Habanos S.A are thinking when they reduce a marca such as Saint Luis Rey to one vitola, the Regios. Sure, Saint Luis Rey as a brand established itself in the 1940s in the United Kingdom and subsequently did not do so in other regions, nevertheless, the Regios and the Serie A are quite different cigars, in my opinion, especially as these can be quite complex in their flavour delivery. I find the Regios more approachable young, yet the Serie A can really take you on a journey when smoked with some age on it, as this one was today.

This cigar showed nuanced, subtle flavours and changes through the thirds. The first third showed notes of powdered cocoa, hay, lemon/orange citrus sweetness and apricot or peach stonefruit flavours. In the middle third there were additional floral flavours and cream. The end of the second third and the final third contained chocolate and espresso coffee. What a cigar! And, what a shame I have 7 left!

It was my great pleasure to gift one to my dear friend, @ayepatz and smoke one together. Hence, I think when I smoke my last Serie A in the future (as they are now discontinued) I will always remember how good this smoke was in fine company!

A wonderful cigar, indeed. Thank you mate for sharing! ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

216808021_2019-07-0614_11_36.jpg.869e545e7d0acad9e9e75694842d6bae.jpg

Bolívar Belicosos Finos LMB Feb 2019

I enjoyed a BBF a few weeks ago so I decided to have another today. Similarly to my previous one, this had a soft marshmallow and light cocoa texture which made it a dream to smoke, coupled with a maltiness which really appealed to me. Again, like my previous BBF, it got a little 'earthy' in the end, perhaps a little leather but unlike my previous one of these, it wasn't really too creamy nor did it exhibit any nutmeg.

The aftertaste resonated on my palate for a few hours afterwards. What a great way to spent a weekend afternoon!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2019525959_2019-07-0813_00_08.jpg.cfb117c85809feb29e4fff3e402736e6.jpg

Por Larrañaga Coronas 2017 - Edición Regional 5ta Avenida 2018 (thanks @ayepatz!)

5ta Avenida (or Quinta Avenida) is Spanish for 5th Avenue. It's also the name of the distributor of regional Edition cigars for Germany, Austria and Poland. This 2017 Por Larranaga Petit Coronas was released in September 2018 and this cigar came from the same box that Rob and Ken smoked from for their recent video review (thanks to our dear friend @ayepatz for gifting us these cigars), a review where they sang the praises of this latest release from 5ta Avenida.

If you are familiar with these releases from this distributor, then you'd know that the first three have been reputable - the La Gloria Cubana Glorias (2015), the Bolívar Tesoro (2016), the Por Larrañaga Coronas (2017). The fourth release, the upcoming 2018 Punch Preferidos is due sometime in 2019.

There are two things that I greatly admire about this release and they are the dimensions of the cigar and the packaging. Firstly, the cigar is a Coronas vitola at 42 ring gauge x 142 millimetres (or 5.6 inches). This vitola has been decimated in the last 20 years by Habanos S.A. There are only three left in regular production, the Montecristo No.3, Romeo y Julieta Cedros de Luxe No.2 and the Quai d’Orsay Coronas Claro. Secondly, this comes in the classic 50 cab SLB; again, a packaging size that is no longer as prevalent as in the past.

The draw on this coronas was perfect and the cold draw had quality hay and barnyard notes. The cigar wrapper was a glorious Colorado claro, and it had a sheen and suppleness common to what I've seen on some Cohiba wrappers. The cigar screamed caramel and honey from the 'get-go' and it simply did not let up. I got this pronounced flavours well into the second third. Naturally the cigar got a little more intense in the last third, maybe a little more 'woody' but honestly, not that much.

Overall, it made me wonder how they got that much caramel and honey in a Por Larranaga at such an early stage of its development. By comparison, I would expect that I would need 3 more years of rest on my 5-year old Por Larranaga Petit Coronas 50 Cab to come close to matching it. If you are able to pick up a cab from this distributor, do so and without hesitation. What a wondrous smoking experience this was!

• Like 3

493182740_2019-07-0815_12_08.jpg.e5a288b2a417f7d5dd3f44f76bfd2d42.jpg

Quai d'Orsay No. 50 SMA Jul 2018

Welcome to my second cigar review from a 10-count box of this very much 'hyped-up' Quai d'Orsay Petit Robusto release from Habanos S.A. The last time I reviewed this cigar was three months ago when I smoke the first cigar from this box. Yes, simply put, it was outstanding but my opinion then was that while it was good, I know that a little age will settle it further and it will get even better.

This QdO No.50 was similarly mild and had distinct gingerbread and toffee notes in the first third which continued on into the middle, This time I didn't get prominent licorice or honey notes in the second third as was the case last time. The last third was again similar in the way it became 'toasty' with cedar and hazelnut notes, but this time there was a lot more sweet spice on the palate in the last third.

In conclusion, I think these are quite good young but if you've managed to secure a few boxes of this release, do yourself a favour and put one (or two) of them away with some significant rest as Quai d'Orsay is a marca known for being conducive to aging.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1160141927_2019-07-0914_24_21.jpg.036b1ec100775ddd84935509d8699a66.jpg

Vegas Robaina Famosos AEM May 2015

Vegas Robaina was introduced as a new marca in 1997 by Habanos S.A in honour of the famed tobacco grower, Alejandro Robaina. At the time the new marca came out with five vitolas; the Clásicos - 6½" × 42 rg (165 × 16.67 mm), a Lonsdale, the Don Alejandro - 7⅝" × 49 rg (194 × 19.45 mm), a Double Corona, the Familiar - 5⅝" × 42 rg (142 × 16.67 mm), a Corona, the Famosos - 5" × 48 rg (127 × 19.05 mm), a Hermoso No. 4,  and the Únicos - 6⅛" × 52 rg (156 × 20.64 mm), a Pirámide. A little over 20 years later and only the Famosos and Únicos remain as regular production cigars.

As a marca, Vegas Robaina doesn't tend to get the same accolades that other Habanos marcas enjoy, especially the global brands. For this reason, I was eager to call down my box of this Vegas Robaina Famosos from my OLH and see how they were coming along, particularly since my last Vegas Robaina cigar, a Don Alejandro from late '15 was so spectacular a few months ago.

This had that deep chocolate and raisin sweetness from the first few puffs, but soon it settled into a milder smoke. At the end of the first third I detected baking spice and funnily enough, grass...but not like Cohiba-type grass, I mean straight grass or pure tobacco. The cigar stayed this way until the end, so not quite one-dimensional but very interesting as a change-of-pace.

In summary, I'm not disposed to rate this Famosos favourably or unfavourably at this point until I smoke a few more to gain a comparison of what the average Famosos from this box is like. Until then I would reckon I will get a better gauge in knowing what to expect from this Famosos box currently aged a little over 4 years.

• Like 3