JohnS' Smoking Diary 2019

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This Smoking Diary is dedicated to @Wertman (and other members who requested it in the Daily Smoke thread) and serves as a reference for the information linked to the cigars I have smoked, and will sm

I'd like to take the opportunity to thank you for taking the time to peruse and support this blog. Let me tell you, it turned out to be quite an undertaking but I think I have come to appreciate that

Reading through this thread just reinforces my hunch that @JohnS doesn't have any cigars of his own!

663236190_2019-07-2113_46_30.jpg.9a557a4ee8a8b89f66f35e67a9bdcabd.jpg

H. Upmann Half Corona EOT Nov 2016

I had a little time today so I desired something smaller as I had not had H.Upmann for a little awhile I thought the Half Corona would fit the bill nicely. These are around 2-and-a-half years old and after today's cigar I only have one left in this box code.

This had your typical H.Upmann shortbread, espresso coffee and white pepper, was just under medium and had no signs of that youthful toasted tobacco you can get from this vitola when smoked young. In fact, after smoking this, I checked my inventory to find that only around 1% of my humidor is H.Upmann and these sticks are all over three years old. That makes sense to me, as I do like that H.Upmann shortbread flavour and more so when aged a little. Thankfully I have some more H.Upmann in my OLH!

• Like 4

2017347714_2019-07-2416_09_44.jpg.48cb0e033746da1b5d76660c478ed5a9.jpg

Vegas Robaina Famosos AEM May 2015

This is the third Famosos I've had from this box and I must confess that this cigar, at this stage of its maturity at just over 4 years of age, is starting to grow on me. Before we get to discussing how it smoked, a caveat I need to share is the fact that the cigar came out of the box with no cap...yes, I repeat, no cap. At first I thought that someone had clipped it for me, but upon closer inspection, I could see that a cut was not applied to the head. The tobacco indicated no signs of being sliced and was rough and loose. As they say, "Cuba being Cuba", accept it, despite it making no sense, and move on.

The flavours were very similar to the last one I had. There was minimal milk chocolate and raisin sweetness and a core 'pure tobacco' or grassy flavour, but not like Cohiba-type grass, and baking spice with a hint of floral notes. The flavours were one-dimensional, there was little complexity or change through the thirds, but this is not a criticism, I didn't mind it being this way.

I nubbed the cigar as far as I could go and surprised myself at how long the cigar took me to smoke, perhaps 80 to 90 minutes, which for a Hermosos No.4 I would reckon my average time would be around the 70 to 75 minute mark.

After smoking this today, I reflected on the fact that this year I consider the Sancho Panza Non Plus to be the most unique Habanos cigar in my rotation, at the moment. After having a few of these I believe this mid-term aged Vegas Robaina Famosos could be a candidate to join the SP Non Plus in terms of offering something different from other Habanos vitolas, when it comes to flavours.

• Like 4

1202245581_2019-07-2813_43_46.jpg.0e85145a9005847f2a3d725125ca1ad0.jpg

Diplomáticos No.2 EML Ago 2014

This is my third from this box and as its now right on 5 years rested I got some nice flavours out of this cigar and a little complexity between the two halves. I think smoking this on a sunny winter's afternoon really helped as it was both smooth and there was plenty of smoke output per draw.

The first half gave me some wondrous sourdough and light coffee, perhaps the best sourdough flavour I've ever got out of a Diplomaticos cigar, excepting the 2014 Bushido of course. Toward the beginning of the second third I reflected on the lack of capsicum (or bell pepper) and spice, but by the middle of the cigar the capsicum flavour took over and towards the end of the second third I got a nice strong hit of paprika spice.

There was no issue nubbing this and the aftertaste on my palate resonated for quite a few hours thereafter!

• Like 4

1697915154_2019-08-0414_08_01.jpg.4b6ecacc432698c576310871f153432c.jpg

Sancho Panza Non Plus ABR Sep 2011

This is the first Sancho Panza Non Plus I've smoked since the 2019 deletions have been announced through 5ta Avenida and I feel some mixed emotions. Firstly, a little mournful that yet another Petit Corona is getting the 'chop' and secondly, completely unsurprised that the Non Plus will leave the Sancho Panza marca down to one vitola (the Belicosos) as it has never been a big seller. Heck, I doubt it's ever been a 'average sales' cigar either.

This was thankfully 'spot on' in regards to the draw and construction was fine, there were no issues with the burn. The cigar was mainly wood and salt and in terms of strength, it had plenty of legs in it, there was no hint of floral notes or creaminess one associates with aged Sancho Panza.

I'm down to my last few now and I envisage I will pick up another box for prosperity sake quite soon.

• Like 4

1315909881_2019-08-0415_23_17.jpg.2ad455f847db55143e24f3f51c9ff8a6.jpg

La Gloria Cubana Medaille d'Or No.4 ETP Ene 2016

This has been my fourth stick from this box and my best thus far. I made sure to smoke it slowly, of course! There was some nice fruit, wood, herbal notes and a hint of almond nut throughout. The draw was perfect and there was no burn issues, the ash was a consistent length of around one inch all the way.

One thing of interest was the lack of pepper (or spice) which made this remarkably easy to retrohale. I'm not inclined to savour cigars through the nose unless they are milder and this didn't disappoint, there was no tingle to it all. If you don't have the La Gloria Cuban Medaille d'Or No.4 in your rotation, make sure to add it as it is a long and skinny worthy of your time and attention, in my opinion.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1132164044_2019-08-0417_38_41.jpg.4aba43eddc9f86dbfee3308784d1a0dd.jpg

El Rey del Mundo Demi Tasse MLU Dic 2018

Oh my...another one from this box that I needed to reach for my PerfecDraw tool! I am so grateful for having the ability to unplug cigars, but it has been disappointing that I've had to do this twice from the first four cigars smoked from this box.

Despite this, the flavours were there again, shortbread, citrus and honey all perfectly balanced and pleasant. Where would I have been without my PerfectDraw?

• Like 4

1077857105_2019-08-1818_54_23.jpg.e28ffbc5d1b2872dfbdae5badcad87d1.jpg

Montecristo No.4 UEB May 2018

Thanks to Cuban Cigar Website's excellent Smoking Diary Feature and my 2019 Smoking Blog, subjective considerations in regards to timing and cigars can be now easily quantified. Let me explain...this box has been stellar thus far and after checking my Smoking Diary today I could easily see that I smoked two within a week and once a month on average thereafter. I can happily report that 6 of the 7 I've smoked to this point have been absolutely stunning, with one sub-average.

The superb quality of this box has been exemplified by their distinctive softer nut and citrus flavours rather than stronger cocoa, coffee and cream flavours, although the latter flavours were still evident here. This cigar was much stronger in that nut and 'citrus on the edges' profile, which for me, is a pure delight when it comes to Montecristo. Let's see how the next one pans out next month!

• Like 3

773885565_2019-08-2401_27_06.jpg.1b49b84a450e80642ede61c0646b36d5.jpg

El Rey del Mundo Demi Tasse MLU Dic 2018

I had a 20-minute window so this was perfect for a quick smoke. Shortbread, honey and citrus mainly, with a little hint of fruit. In comparison to the others I've had from the box this was the least 'fruity' in flavours but at least the draw was okay. Construction and burn was fine. I think I've smoked a little over one-quarter of this box. I may go a few more and than leave the rest for long-term aging.

• Like 2

1830140413_2019-08-3019_51_04.jpg.44db3754ba7d789ab18f27626b5edfc6.jpg

Romeo y Julieta Churchills ASO Nov 2016

The Romeo y Julieta Churchill has enjoyed somewhat of a revival on our forum in the last few years. In the past 12 months that reputation has grown to the point where it is now regarded as one of the top ten Habanos cigars currently. Judging by the many different box-coded offerings I've had of this cigar in the past 24 months, I can't help but agree with this assessment.

Tonight's Churchill was two months short of three years and at this point of its development I noticed that it wasn't as sweet as previous RyJ Churchills I've had aged 12 to 24 months since 2016. So, no strong turkish delight or anise-type licorice sweetness, but rather a more softer coconut/cream and cherry flavour that remained consistent throughout, even well into the last third. This was a no-brainer to nub and if you are new to Romeo y Julieta as a marca, or simply don't like it due to its propensity to offer up toasted tobacco blandness from time-to-time, don't discount giving some recent RyJ Churchills a go. I wouldn't be surprised if you were glad you did.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, JohnS said:
The consensus from our friends, who shared in smoking this cigar from this box tonight, was universal and overwhelming, effusive praise. Yes...it will be a cigar event that will be long-remembered fondly!

Where was I? Did I attend? :rolleyes:

1035498935_2019-08-3100_06_01.jpg.c13ea24e28c14d12a102b9175ab4f1af.jpg

Por Larrañaga Petit Coronas circa 2014 (thanks @jay8354)

I've been so enamored with the Por Larranaga Montecarlos lately that one may wonder why I haven't sampled the Por Larranaga Petit Coronas (or Picadores, for that matter) in recent times? I think there are two reasons; firstly, the quality-to-cost appeal of the Montecarlos and secondly, it takes more time for Petit Coronas to develop the caramel profile I prefer in that cigar. Thankfully, @jay8354 gifted me this PLPC from circa 2014 and at that age, it did not let me down, let me tell you!

Whereas a PLMC may typically take 1 to 3 years to develop a dominant caramel characteristic, the PLPC may take 5 to 8 years to do so. This Petit Coronas certainly had a smooth and soft caramel flavour to it, together with honey and baking spice notes. It was a superb cigar, the type that 'rewards you in spades' for the patience you give it.

• Like 2