The friendliest cigar city in the US?

I’ll vote Phoenix as well for the lounges. The ones I frequent have full bars. Churchill’s in Phoenix is a 2 minute walk to Steak 44 and a 7 minute Uber to a Mastro’s. The owner doesn’t care if you bring your own cigars if you drink. I make it a habit to buy a few cigars out of respect. 

The Royal Palms resort, which is a 5 minute Uber from Churchill’s, is a cigar friendly resort. There are stone ashtrays, with sand bottoms, everywhere and the most amazing outdoor patio where we go to have coffee and smoke regularly later at night. 

Cheers Rob.

376BC617-699E-42DD-B1D9-5EA86EA32F22.jpeg

906A0893-5AA2-424B-8336-047DC0370F1D.jpeg

• Like 1

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I got permanently banned from the talking stick for drunkenly dancing in and breaking an elevator! 

ABC = Anywhere But California

I have been to Ybor and loved it.  My thinking is in on a  Thursday, out on a Sunday and then off to Havana for those who would like to come along. Tie it into the Partagas Festival November 2020

On 5/13/2019 at 7:22 PM, stogieluver said:

I would have said New Orleans up until about two years ago.  You could smoke in bars in and out of the French Quarter.  No more.  The city was taken over by liberals who outlawed smoking in the bars, including the French Quarter bars.  There are a few cigar lounges, but that's it now.

Dang.  Double dang.  I thought it were a shoe-in.  Used to love sitting outside of LaFitte's Blacksmith Shop, puffing on a Havana, pulling in the Xth hurricane of the day/night and watching the sun come up.

1 hour ago, earthson said:

Dang.  Double dang.  I thought it were a shoe-in.  Used to love sitting outside of LaFitte's Blacksmith Shop, puffing on a Havana, pulling in the Xth hurricane of the day/night and watching the sun come up.

You’re still safe sitting outside the bar. No smoking inside. No one will give you a second look smoking outside or walking down Bourbon or Royal other than the occasional liberal visitor. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, miamipadronsmoker said:

Miami is by far the most cigar friendly US city. There are so many amazing restaurants that have cigar friendly patio's and even have humidors offering cigars. One steakhouse in particular even has pre-embargo stock. There are countless fantastic cigar bars all over the place and smoking cigars in clubs here is completely acceptable. Calle Ocho is still an excellent place to go cigar shopping especially if you enjoy Nicaraguan tobacco. I enjoy Tampa for sure but it's nowhere near the level of Miami. 

I live in Miami and am likely biased but I agree it deserves a spot on the list. One other thing I’d mention is that if you’re sitting outdoors in Miami at a place that allows smoking (1) it is very likely you’re not the only one smoking...always makes me feel more relaxed... and (2) even if you are the only one smoking there are likely a significant numbers of non-Americans around you (Latin/South Americans, Europeans, etc.) who are much more tolerant of smoking than Americans. Nothing worse than lighting up a cigar in a place that it’s allowed and that annoying lady next to you starts fanning with her hand and making comments to the people she’s sitting with. Hardly ever happens in Miami. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, stogieluver said:

You’re still safe sitting outside the bar. No smoking inside. No one will give you a second look smoking outside or walking down Bourbon or Royal other than the occasional liberal visitor. 

You say ‘liberal’ as if it were a bad thing...

On 5/17/2019 at 6:51 PM, stogieluver said:

Pfff.  I view New Orleans in the same way as I view, say, Amsterdam - a very liberal city that treats me like an adult and trusts me to let my freak flag fly so long as I don't cause a scene.  I need to check in with my buddy in Lafayette, LA to see if they changed their standards there as well.  In an area boasting drive-thru daiquiri shacks, I'm surprised to see such new-fangled changes.  Oh well, the world keeps turning.

I'll just have to make sure it's not raining the next time I visit there!

• 2 weeks later...

I was in Ybor last week before flying to Amsterdam.  I found it quite charming personally.  I even had the kids with me.  At night, I'm sure it could be a different storybut is definitely cigar friendly, if not cigar inviting. 

• Like 1

On 5/16/2019 at 1:54 PM, cmbarton said:

Throwing in a different city into the mix: Dallas (specifically Addison).  While ever city in America has been in a race to outlaw smoking, Addison (a small city north of Dallas) has embraced smoking.  How and why?  Because Addison is a business-only city.  It’s a city of bars and hotels, and so the city and it’s all-business  owner government has realized a money-making opportunity in being the only place to dine, drink, and smoke like the good old days.  

I've been there! Elite cigar Cafe in Addison.  Brought in a CC, showed it to the guy manning the humidor up front, he smiled and said no cutting fee, just come on in and enjoy.

I sat out on the covered patio with a nice drink and my CC. Great place to relax.

• Like 2

Currently living in Pittsburgh. Very cigar friendly. More than 8 cigar lounges in this mid-scale US city, borne of the fact we get -10 to -20 degree Celsius temperatures for 4-5 months of the year and need indoor protection. DC and Miami are also great.

8bcde645e869722e7ddca0af391227d7.jpgdad0ae6c94afa3ff87d899e1f4d42843.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

I travel a lot for business and get to sample

Houston, Dallas area, Orlando, Tampa, SoFL, Philadelphia, Atlanta, Las Vegas and the Phoenix area are all pretty cigar friendly....or at least they have very good lounges! Tulsa and Oklahoma City aren’t bad either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YBor City has some great restaurants including Carne Chop House, Carmines, and the Columbia. And it is close to some fantastic museums in Tampa / St Pete / Clearwater. These include the Henry B Plant museum  (moorish architecture), Salvador Dali museum, and the Chihuly Collection. The Don CeSar beachfront hotel has a designated smoking area on the veranda off the Lobby bar (at least when I was last there). Pay the extra for an ocean facing room. The Gasparilla Pirate Festival is Saturday, January 25, 2020. After the Cuba festival, on March 13 - 20, there is the Firestone Grand Prix on the streets of downtown St. Pete with Formula 1 cars reaching 170 mph through downtown. The greek fishing hamlet of Tarpon Springs is just up the road.

Although I am currently living in Costa Rica, I try to make it back to Florida during this time frame. The weather tends to be fantastic.