Future Tech... 50 years on... Your one prediction...?

I was rewatching Blade Runner again the other day (set in 2019), and I got to thinking about the accuracy of the predictions/visions for the future, against their fictional timelines, which various artforms throw out there... Some are spookily accurate, some are ridiculously way off target...

So, 50 years is the timeline... 2069... what's your prediction/vision (borrowed or an original of yours) for one future tech that will definitely come to fruition within that time?

For me, I'm personally committed to seeing a certain machine from George Lucas's THX 1138 become a reality well before its originally projected timeline. I mean, a masturbation machine by the 25th century? That's setting the bar particularly low, isn't it, George? 

I think VR is going to take off in more ways than gaming. Using it to go to meetings in different countries without being there, going to conferences, Sporting-event television where you can buy your seats from home as the stadium is captured in 360 3-d video. With VR also comes new website 3-d website design (imagine shopping by going down the isles, but at home) and micro transactions galore... (i.e. you have that meeting in China in 15 minutes, better buy a virtual Armani suit.)

On a positive note it would create a large support system for telecommuting, unclog traffic, reduce smog and free up a lot of park space for smoking a stogie.

On the other hand, a lot of people probably will never leave home. Small Businesses without an online presence would likely dissolve immediately (not like they aren't already). And whichever company (Google) pioneers the fastest VR presence will probably create a monopoly with federal safegaurds so no one can compete in the free market, and they will become our overlords and we will die fat and poor. ?

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, BoliDan said:

On a positive note it would create a large support system for telecommuting, unclog traffic, reduce smog and free up a lot of park space for smoking a stogie.

So a future of stogie smog instead? I like your thinking. : )

A version of "pre-crime".  With computers and predictive algorithms advancing at such an exponential rate (see Amazon shipping items they know you will buy to your nearest local distribution center before you even order) coupled with society's increasing paranoia about safety and we will see something like this.  It won't be Tom Cruise jumping out of a helicopter to lock you up, more likely a systematic government agency observing and intruding into every single aspect of any person they deem has a proclivity towards any type of criminal behavior.  The masses will cheer until they realize they're on the list too.

For me I see daisies a few feet above sadly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MoeFOH said:

For me, I'm personally committed to seeing a certain machine from George Lucas's THX 1138 become a reality well before its originally projected timeline. I mean, a masturbation machine by the 25th century? That's setting the bar particularly low, isn't it, George? 

25th century? No need to wait till 2069 either, they are already available.

Not for a long time.

We have VR goggles and machines that can "simulate" what is going on in the scene you are watching. Completely hands free.

China has even started using "automatic sperm extractor" machines, for those shy about donating the old fashioned way. Just plug in and wham bam, thank you ma'am.

6 minutes ago, Fuzz said:

Not for a long time.

We have VR goggles and machines that can "simulate" what is going on in the scene you are watching. Completely hands free.

China has even started using "automatic sperm extractor" machines, for those shy about donating the old fashioned way. Just plug in and wham bam, thank you ma'am.

Well, thank you for bringing me up to speed on the matter. Never been so glad to say I was out of touch on a subject. :rotfl:

1 hour ago, MoeFOH said:

Well, thank you for bringing me up to speed on the matter. Never been so glad to say I was out of touch on a subject. :rotfl:

Well, to be honest, you're about 20 years out of touch. :lol3:

I was peddlin' VR and 3D "viewing material" back when I was in uni. Ancient by today's standards, and a helluva lot more bulky and pricey.

10 hours ago, ayepatz said:

I’m still holding out hope for hoverboards. ?

With there being soooo many persons being "sue crazy" if they have a good number of these out, there'd likely be so many lawsuits (I think) unjustly filed by those who fall off of them and hurt themselves due to their own bad balancing - would it really behoove the creators/inventors of it? They'd probably have to have bonafide disclaimers attached with them absolving themselves of any liability if "Bonehead Rider Jones" falls off it from too high a height and kills himself. Otherwise - if I was a few DECADES younger - I'D LOOOOOVE TO HAVE ONE!!!!! :drool:

The harnessing of dark matter as an energy source.

The creation of a digital consciousness that can be accessed and transferred to another body after death or 3D printed to create multiple versions of yourself - yes, I watch too much Black Mirror. ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BadBadMan said:

I hope I have one of those replicator contraptions a la Star Trek so I can make a dry aged steak, some 70’s Ardbeg, and and maybe a Dunhill Cabinetta while I rest my weary bones .

Genius! Replicated cigars. Wish I’d thought of that one.??

Star Trek has been such an influence that three generations of scientists and inventors have modelled their creations after their favourite show.

https://screenrant.com/star-trek-real-life-gadgets/

B2C565A1-843C-4B92-9C07-DFBE32FC1861.jpeg.840fbf82a5aa66c215dc24224fb7ed80.jpeg

67C9D823-A3E6-4477-9023-786295A0B1E2.png.1d4e1ec3e4965a8917b662c3669cb491.png

I also want a phaser to go with my hoverboard. Since military funding drives much in the way of invention and development, I’m guessing they should be along well within your deadline, MoeFOH

2 hours ago, BadBadMan said:

I hope I have one of those replicator contraptions a la Star Trek so I can make a dry aged steak, some 70’s Ardbeg, and and maybe a Dunhill Cabinetta while I rest my weary bones .

Fake meat?

Synthetic booze? Pass.

9 hours ago, Fuzz said:

25th century? No need to wait till 2069 either, they are already available.

Which one is your favorite?

50 Years? with the geometric explosion of technology we are in for all kinds of stuff we couldn't imagine. I think health monitors are coming a lot sooner than 50 years. Sensors in your body will provide data to some place that monitors you and will contact you if you are in jeopardy. This stuff will increase life expectancy dramatically in the next five decades. Everything from heart disease to strokes to blood work that can identify cancer will be monitored by a little chip that broadcasts through what we think of now as a smart phone. "Hello, Mr Smith. Come to the hospital before that stroke you are going to have at 2 PM kills you." 

• Like 1