RESULT & WINNER ANNOUNCED!! 50/50 FOH's Weekly Poll Comp: #6

50/50 Poll #6  

97 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Of the 2 choices, both of which I have crates of but rarely use, I’m picking vinyl. Takes me back to an unhurried time when we could engage with those who produced our music. IMO, the move away from vinyl brought an end to the unique personal relationship with the artist that the media offered, and has had a detrimental effect on the quality of artistry and musicianship ever since.

Damn...I just became my parents.:lookaround:

• Like 1

I know the materials have gotten better but the CDs I have from the early 90s have deteriorated.  No really portable options with vinyl but if stored correctly they are good to go indefinitely.  A good base for any hard copy that is easily transferred to digital.

I've actually looked at setting up a record collection.  But, like most things, the amount of money I'd dump into it makes me think twice.  Sure, CD's a "better" quality, but there's something about vinyl

The charm of vinyl is there for me but most of my music has been digitized. CD is the practical choice going forward. 

About ten years ago my wife, who loves to neaten up stuff, was in the basement and asked if it was OK to get rid on the vinyl records, my fully automatic Yamaha turntable, and my Nakamichi cassette deck.  Let's just say the stuff is still there.

20 hours ago, tigger said:

Though how the recording was mastered matters more.

Recorded and mixed as well. There's some interesting stuff going on with recording to tape and then using closed loop analog signal processing.

That said, the only thing I really miss about vinyl are the album covers, inner sleeves, all the associated photos, artwork, etc.

• Like 1

Assuming by convert we are referring to adding a vinyl press of all CD’s and digital music in my collection, and throwing away the digital copies I would do that in a heartbeat. Of course if we mean simply convert the digital music files themselves to analog and then press onto vinyl that defeats the whole advantage of the analog format as the digital file has already lost the additional waveform information present in the initial recording (assuming the recording itself was done with analog equipment).

The only thing I would really miss is music in the car, and I would indeed miss it, but I’d gladly give it up to have my entire collection on vinyl. At present, early presses of classic albums are just too expensive for vinyl to be practical for me for any but my favorite albums.

I rarely listen to CD’s these days, mainly mp3 files on my phone for convenience, and vinyl when I’m home and can. Honestly I just packed up most of my CD collection and stuck it in the garage.

Fortunately, I don't need to make this choice again. I converted all my vinyl and CDs to digital hi-res MP3 years ago and have them stored on DVD, HDD and an Apple Classic 160GB. I don't think I will ever go back to either vinyl or CD.

Vinyl had its shot and lost to a better more advanced tech. Vinyl deteriorates with every use, it is not portable, it takes more storage space, is more susceptible to dirt and temperature damage, etc.  No brainer. 

Saddens me as a vinyl man, but CD killed it - 57 to 36... Well, you can't win em all. ;)

But speaking of winners... the random draw for the El Pres Sampler goes to @WhiteMamba !!

Congrats! :party:

Please PM your details to @First Lady so Lisa can dispatch your prize. 

Thanks again to all participants. Next poll will be up later today! :thumbsup:

• Like 1