For Fans Of BBQ - Best BBQ you’ve had?

4 minutes ago, Wailbait said:

I was in Austin a couple years ago and I definitely kissed the Franklin ring but I was most impressed with Micklethwait and La Barbecue.  Hard to talk about “bests” when so many bites I had were remarkable but I can say that those places were spectacular. 

No shame in kissing the Franklin ring.  Aaron paved the way for the bbq renaissance we're seeing today.  But I wholeheartedly agree that both Micklethwait and La BBQ are as good or better.  La BBQ is amazing for their consistency.  Their pitmasters leave (frequently) and open up successful restaurants of their own and somehow the consistency and quality never changes.  

• Thanks 1

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We don't have many bbq joints in my neck of the woods (although last couple of years there has been a few open up) but this is a brisket i did today on the trusty weber Sent from my SM-G965F using T

Here's some lamb shanks seasoned ras el hanout, salt and preserved lemon.  It was cooked on a WSM without a water pan and cooked at above the smoking range (325 f).  I think it was 3-4 hours?  

@THEMISCHMAN Stiles Switch is a great option in Austin.  They have quality food from open to close (open all day and cook for a dinner service unlike Franklin) and serve the single best dish in the st

Here's some lamb shanks seasoned ras el hanout, salt and preserved lemon.  It was cooked on a WSM without a water pan and cooked at above the smoking range (325 f).  I think it was 3-4 hours?

1848774095_lambshankdone.thumb.JPG.821f57819b9ab8753a6f38030f91ad47.JPG
1272329629_lambshankraw.thumb.JPG.8f02cee80480719ae39b2d3c8af21425.JPG

I’m on my way. What do you need me to bring?

Those look great!

16 hours ago, SignalJoe said:

Coogar you really need to make it to one of our local herfs, I always bring que from the better joints in Houston.  So far we have had Roegels, Pinkerton's, Truth, and Corkscrew.  There is always good food and better company.  

Would love to....timing on the others just has never worked out.    When is the next one?  :)

• Like 1

I lived in Katy TX just outside of Houston for a while. My co workers introduced me to a place called The Hickory Hollow. Fantastic BBQ but not as well known as other places.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Franklin's is something special. I love the scientific approach he takes and he's like the masked magician. His shows and videos on how he does what he does, and why are must watch for anyone serious about doing their own home BBQ. One of the best briskets I've ever tasted. The line can be a bit ridiculous, but if you ask nicely, very nicely. They may just let you in the back to check out the pits. All of them are hand made iterations of his own creation. Chopped up Propane tanks, with smaller propane tanks hanging of the side for fire boxes. All with their own names and "personalities." 

Arthur Bryant's, in KC is also amazing, but same issue with Franklins. Its an "Appointment Meal" the line can get ridiculous and you end up spending at least two hours there between waiting in line and enjoying the meal. My "go to" became Smoking Guns, in North Kansas City, best burnt ends I've ever had. 

I would pick one spot over all of the above. Luella's BBQ in Asheville, NC. Whole hog BBQ and the best I've ever had. The Ribs and Pulled pork are both amazing. 

The first 5 photos are from Franklins, then Smoking Guns and finally a shot of Luella's Pork. 

IMG_5647.thumb.JPG.b314cc73e3e684d26a86eb97e269bd41.JPGIMG_5644.thumb.JPG.4849cc4daef3121f5816b0d69cab5afa.JPGIMG_5646.thumb.JPG.357fdf55fb07ff944add5b0844a65197.JPGIMG_5633.thumb.JPG.09cde12400c8fed84ac3f9bb2437d988.JPGIMG_5635.thumb.JPG.e967955e1af91fff15877800d60124c5.JPG

IMG_0153.thumb.JPG.21176dbb9f1e886d0dd671ca3ed447c5.JPGIMG_0381.thumb.JPG.cbf775510a284feb74cabb927c1c0a1b.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, CooGAR said:

Would love to....timing on the others just has never worked out.    When is the next one?  :)

We are waiting to hear from a restaurant manager on availability, I'll let you know when we hear back.  

20 hours ago, THEMISCHMAN said:

I’m on my way. What do you need me to bring?

Those look great!

Bottle of Cabernet!  Let me know when you are in Boston and I will plan ahead

Bottle of Cabernet!  Let me know when you are in Boston and I will plan ahead

Boston! No kidding. My wife is from Massachusetts. We’ll be up there in a few weeks for most of June. Her friend is getting married on the Cape. I’d definitely be open to meet up for a cigar if time allows.

42 minutes ago, THEMISCHMAN said:

Boston! No kidding. My wife is from Massachusetts. We’ll be up there in a few weeks for most of June. Her friend is getting married on the Cape. I’d definitely be open to meet up for a cigar if time allows.

Where on the Cape are they getting married?  I live just west of Boston in Framingham.

7 hours ago, Bill Hayes said:

Will be in Dallas for two days before Christmas on holiday before heading to Mexico then Cuba. Interested in any Fort Worth options? In Melbourne, Australia, our best IMHO is Fancy Hanks.  https://www.fancyhanks.com/

Maybe someone who knows a bit more about DFW than I do can chime in, but if you are in Dallas....try Pecan Lodge.  I also enjoyed 18th & Vine BBQ in Dallas.  Only place I have eaten in Ft. Worth is Angelo's BBQ - has been open since the 1950s and was very good. 

• Like 3

I travel a lot for work and have had the opportunity to enjoy BBQ all over the US. A lot of the KC joints listed here are great. Same with Houston and Dallas. 4Rivers in the Orlando area is great too. Their brisket is always consistent.
Probably my favorite BBQ was in Taos, NM at Jethros Genuine Texas BBQ truck. It was fantastic. Maybe it was the setting or that I was with family, whatever it was their 3-meat Omnivore sandwich was outstanding.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g47224-d10291252-Reviews-Jethro_s_Genuine_Texas_Barbeque-Taos_Taos_County_New_Mexico.html?m=19907

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1