Last bottle of wine under $40 that made you go "bloody hell"

El Presidente

Last bottle of wine under $40 that made you go "bloody hell"

"bloody hell" = stop, prop, look at the glass and go "wow!". 

Under $40 is chosen in order to provide some value :thumbsup:

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Boone’s Farm. Strawberry Hill. Non-vintage (as if that needed stating). The only bottle of wine that ever formed a lasting memory. Of course, playing a vital role in the whole coming of age story had

@lovethehaze my wife and I threw a wine tasting party where everyone brought a nice bottle of wine. The prisoner won first prize over a Napa cab alpha omega ($100 bottle). We were in love with the pri

Great values in these that won’t break the wallet 

2017 Sweetwater Shiraz

Thomas Sweetwater Shiraz $35

I am a huge fan of this winery and what winemaker/owner Andrew Thomas is doing.  

I had this on Saturday night and to me it is better than his flagship "Kiss" Shiraz at double the price. 

From an outstanding Hunter Valley vintage, the 2017 Sweetwater shiraz is true to form with its distinctive floral notes of violets and potpourri, within a pretty, perfumed red and blue fruited frame, and a lengthy, supple tannin profile. The deliciously intense mid palate provides some awesome current drinking appeal, but will also reward some patient cellaring. A cellar door favourite...
Drink 2019 - 2030+

@lovethehaze my wife and I threw a wine tasting party where everyone brought a nice bottle of wine. The prisoner won first prize over a Napa cab alpha omega ($100 bottle). We were in love with the prisoner so we bought a couple bottles. That said, it’s not as good as the alpha omega but we were shocked that it won out especially at the price point. Good pick sir. 

• Like 2

[mention=32986]lovethehaze[/mention] my wife and I threw a wine tasting party where everyone brought a nice bottle of wine. The prisoner won first prize over a Napa cab alpha omega ($100 bottle). We were in love with the prisoner so we bought a couple bottles. That said, it’s not as good as the alpha omega but we were shocked that it won out especially at the price point. Good pick sir. 

It’s a solid buy for its price point and it doesn’t surprise me it won out your tasting. Orin Swift makes many most are more expensive but to me this one is one of his best year in and year out. Used to be pretty hard to find and slightly better I feel. Seems more mass produced now but sill lots of value and a good choice. Thanks for the thumbs up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, El Presidente said:

Under $40 is chosen in order to provide some value :thumbsup:

i do know what you mean but surely a $100 can possibly provide far better value than a $10 wine. 

had a 97 pertimali brunello at a brunello tasting lunch on saturday - been in my cellar for years. probably only cost me $30 or $40 when released, may be less. i've had $1000 bottles of brunello that have been brilliant, but none got close to this.

today, the current release would be over $100 (i'm guessing between $90 and $150 - no real idea) but if it is as good as this then i'd suggest the value it offers is near unmatchable (is that a word?) but i know what you mean. 

This can be found for $40-ish, and when you do find it at that price, you buy it.  I love giving it to friends who are not big fans of Zin, it always impresses.

Biale Black Chicken

Biale_Napa_Valley_Black_Chicken_Zinfandel_2016_preview-250x1024.jpeg

2 hours ago, MD Puffer said:

Boone’s Farm. Strawberry Hill. Non-vintage (as if that needed stating). The only bottle of wine that ever formed a lasting memory. Of course, playing a vital role in the whole coming of age story had something to do with it. And for 40 bucks, you can get about 8 of these things.  Real value to be found here.

7D84E540-EB90-468B-AF8B-C3C2204CF532.png

This one brings back memories!  

Being from California I'm spoiled I live in between Napa and the central coast and it's pretty wild how much the wine differs I'm a central coast kind of guy but this winery has great wines for a great price ranging from 17$-40$ and above this has to be the one that grabbed me and its fantastic I just finished the bottle with a monte #2 as I post this and it made the monte #2 just shine! Chronic cellars is where it's at! 

20190519_220815.jpg

Tblvino Qvevris 2016       $12

This 'orange wine' or 'amphora wine' is a really fun and pleasurable experience if you've never had one before. A very strange experience, when you first taste it, it has the freshness of a white, but as it warms on your palate the deep fruit and tannins seem to grow, and you end up feeling like you're drinking a red.     Very nice (not going to rock your world)  but a really enjoyable curve ball. 

Winemakers blurb Fruity, deep and textured with flavours of quince, pear and spice.

From the Kakheti Region or Georgia (no not that Georgia)

Screenshot 2019-05-20 at 06.48.05.jpg

1 hour ago, 99call said:

Tblvino Qvevris 2016       $12

This 'orange wine' or 'amphora wine' is a really fun and pleasurable experience if you've never had one before. A very strange experience, when you first taste it, it has the freshness of a white, but as it warms on your palate the deep fruit and tannins seem to grow, and you end up feeling like you're drinking a red.     Very nice (not going to rock your world)  but a really enjoyable curve ball. 

Winemakers blurb Fruity, deep and textured with flavours of quince, pear and spice.

From the Kakheti Region or Georgia (no not that Georgia)

Screenshot 2019-05-20 at 06.48.05.jpg

i guess rob didn't insist that making you say 'bloody hell' had to be in a positive way. 

(not a great fan of the natural wine movement - undoubtedly some stars but way way too many are faulty, dodgy, ordinary and adopted by tosser somms who put their screenplays back in the bottom drawer with their black skivvies for a bit and try and come up with weird wines in an attempt to outdo the equally weird wines selected by their fellow somms, not giving the slightest toss about customers.)

but there are some good ones and each to their own.

shutting up now. 

1 minute ago, Ken Gargett said:

shutting up now. 

Haha,    

Ken, I did caveat it "wont rock your world"  and at a price point of $12 it does provide an interesting experience that is pleasurable and doesn't hurt the pocket. 

Most of us here down in the trenches, often buy at a certain price point.   An average supermarket bottle of wine in the UK is around £7-£15.   Yes it's possible to locate a multitude of more instantly pleasing or arguably enjoyable wines.    But when you don't do it for a living, and don't have the opportinity to try 1000s of wines day in day out, the average Joe does have maybe a more piqued interest in trying different production methods, or production for unusual countries.  

4 minutes ago, 99call said:

Haha,    

Ken, I did caveat it "wont rock your world"  and at a price point of $12 it does provide an interesting experience that is pleasurable and doesn't hurt the pocket. 

Most of us here down in the trenches, often buy at a certain price point.   An average supermarket bottle of wine in the UK is around £7-£15.   Yes it's possible to locate a multitude of more instantly pleasing or arguably enjoyable wines.    But when you don't do it for a living, and don't have the opportinity to try 1000s of wines day in day out, the average Joe does have maybe a more piqued interest in trying different production methods, or production for unusual countries.  

do understand. was just having a bit of fun - most natural wines are like the proverbial red rag. 

1 minute ago, Ken Gargett said:

was just having a bit of fun

Come on Ken, you know this isn't the place for that kind of stuff. 

I know what you mean, I bought a Japanese white the other day, and lets just say, the serving suggestion should be changed from "serve ice cold"  to "serve ice ice cold"