Last bottle of wine under $40 that made you go "bloody hell"

El Presidente

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Boone’s Farm. Strawberry Hill. Non-vintage (as if that needed stating). The only bottle of wine that ever formed a lasting memory. Of course, playing a vital role in the whole coming of age story had

@lovethehaze my wife and I threw a wine tasting party where everyone brought a nice bottle of wine. The prisoner won first prize over a Napa cab alpha omega ($100 bottle). We were in love with the pri

Great values in these that won’t break the wallet 

3 hours ago, 99call said:

Come on Ken, you know this isn't the place for that kind of stuff. 

I know what you mean, I bought a Japanese white the other day, and lets just say, the serving suggestion should be changed from "serve ice cold"  to "serve ice ice cold"

Better call this guy to serve it...

image.jpeg.f988bef04f20c0ce3d9e3504506c027c.jpeg

3 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

lucky you. i don't think we could find that for under 2-3 times that. what a great producer. 

I was thinking about the price disparity when posting - a $40 bottle for me is different than a $40 bottle for you.

7 hours ago, Colt45 said:

Sliding in at $39.99 - Bruno Giacosa Barbera D'Alba

bg_BdA.jpg

Didn't even notice your post when I picked my Giacosa!  Barbera D'Alba is fantastic too; had one a couple of weeks ago.  To throw in another great Giacosa buy, to round it off would be Roero Arneis which they practically give it away!

giacosa.JPG

4 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

Didn't even notice your post when I picked my Giacosa!

Copycat! I haven't had the Giacosa Arneis, but have had the Vietti and the Cascina Roera Ciapin arneis blend, which was a go to white for a while for me. I agree we have some great sub $40 high value if not necessarily WOW! choices.

I recently tried the Chateau Pegau Maclura Cotes du Rhone. I'm not sure it would meet the "bloody hell" criterion completely, but it certainly got my attention. For $15, great value.

El Nido Clio, Jumilla

Can be found for just under $40, but could be a little difficult to locate.  This is a big bold Spanish red.  Monastrell & Cab blend.  Drinks as good or even better than any California Cab 3 times the price. 

F92752AE-AC10-4BBE-8270-6BA58414B302.thumb.jpeg.4e7235271a7a14689e510a52cb0e0fb9.jpeg

12 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

this really is the most depressing thread ever on FOH. 

How so?  Any picks you want to throw in or comments on what has been recommended.  There were a couple mentioned that I would never ever recommend, but it's not me rain on someone's parade.  We all have different taste...

10 minutes ago, BrightonCorgi said:

How so?  Any picks you want to throw in or comments on what has been recommended. 

I don't mean to speak for Ken, but I believe he's refererring to what Aussies have to pay versus what we're paying for the same wines.

KG, come on over - we'll go shoppin'  :)

• Like 1

I usually aim for under $20, but I have a few candidates in that range. (FYI, Canadian prices are usually 2x suggest retail price)

I've had these from 2014/15 and they have been excellent.

foh-wine1.jpg.5b6307c60454db9bd6e75a1a5e6a7b4a.jpg

I'm down to my last 2005 and 2008 bottles.  This flew under the radar for a while.  Only recently have people honed in on it.

fohwine2.jpg.00cf991d8a6a44c05bdbcb3972c123f3.jpg

This falls under the "gimmicky" section.  Wine aged in Bourbon Barrels. But it is very rich, bold and boozy.  Drink slow and savour.

Foh-wine3.jpg.40bfefa17494ce17b3a4f2ca5979e769.jpg

This one isn't always in stock, but when it is I try and grab a few bottles.

FOH-wine4.jpg.736cff1dae5c3b05034c8ff16a154a39.jpg

This is probably my best bargain find.  I was buying them when the 2007/8/9 Vintages were stocked.  Full of dark chocolate and cherries.  Down to my last 2007 bottle. This is $9USD according to this site. In Toronto I was paying $15CAD.  I went through maybe 3 cases of this or more.  It is no longer carried by our Provincial liquor mongers.  :(

Foh-wine5.jpg.58fe4f948c9c5090e0fda43480d5fdd1.jpg

11 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

How so?  Any picks you want to throw in or comments on what has been recommended.  There were a couple mentioned that I would never ever recommend, but it's not me rain on someone's parade.  We all have different taste...

no, depressing in the sense that i know what a lot of these "under $40" wines cost here. they would not qualify. 

11 hours ago, Colt45 said:

I don't mean to speak for Ken, but I believe he's refererring to what Aussies have to pay versus what we're paying for the same wines.

KG, come on over - we'll go shoppin'  :)

correct, colt.

sorry, posted before i saw yours. 

love to but to get them back, we get whacked with taxes...

no, depressing in the sense that i know what a lot of these "under $40" wines cost here. they would not qualify. 

So just out of curiosity what would some of them cost there ? A few dollars more or double ? I have no idea just curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, lovethehaze said:

So just out of curiosity what would some of them cost there ? A few dollars more or double ? I have no idea just curious.

not really a straight line but there would definitely be some which are double or more. some come here in small quantities as well which bumps the price. we are heavily taxed on wine (i think the highest taxes of any wine-producing country). transport, as we are so far away. and the importers and retailers mean that prices can vary a heap. 

i get the daily email from benchmark in the states and i just end up weeping! 

• Like 1

not really a straight line but there would definitely be some which are double or more. some come here in small quantities as well which bumps the price. we are heavily taxed on wine (i think the highest taxes of any wine-producing country). transport, as we are so far away. and the importers and retailers mean that prices can vary a heap. 
i get the daily email from benchmark in the states and i just end up weeping! 

Crying shame. Now it all makes sense. But cigars u can get cheaper and more easily I guess there is always some good with the bad.

Just now, lovethehaze said:

Crying shame. Now it all makes sense. But cigars u can get cheaper and more easily emoji6.png I guess there is always some good with the bad.

they are not banned here, if that is what you mean but what we pay is horrendous in comparison with everyone else. tobacco taxes here are even worse than wine. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

love to but to get them back, we get whacked with taxes...

Well, we do know the Count of Contraband...

That notwithstanding, you could always come over and do a tasting tour - not bring anything home. By yourself, or with members who you don't want to punch in the face.

:lol3: