The Netherlands

I'm traveling to the Netherlands this week and wondering what the members here would suggest to 'be on the lookout' for regarding those cigars that I may only see there.  I've been to Cuba a few times now, so I know relatively what to expect there.  I just have no idea what to look for as far as the regionals go that may be hidden gems.  If it helps, I'm partial to Partagas (D4, Lusi, shorts) although I enjoy smaller RG cigars too (monte 4, PLPC, Puntillas from Alex, LGC M d'or 4) . I understand all of this is subjective, but I welcome suggestions. 

The LCDH Amsterdam is a great shop! No lounge. You may find some aged boxes if you put in the time ;)

Also go to the lounge at PJC Hajenius. Tell Iris I say hi!

The hotel de L’Europe has a cool cigar bar open late (bring your own).

Theres an amazing all-Nicaraguan shop/lounge near the LCDH called Cigaragua. Do not miss it.

enjoy!

Definitely stop by Hajenius. Great little cigar museum.

Here's what you want to look for https://www.stevegriff.com/cigars/cuba/releases/regional-editions/countries/the-netherlands

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I will be there next week checking out the cigar lounge in Van Lookeren and the new Por Larranaga RE Gran Robusto.  Also Hartman Cigar store in Beethoven Straat that have Por Larranaga Picadores, I wouldn't bother with their Leidsestraat store unless you like cigars with pale wrappers.

If you buy any tubos, make sure you get a receipt and check for mould before you leave the country, especially on Punch Punch, and Punch Royal Coronations!

Have a nice trip.

• 2 weeks later...

A little update and my observations:

LCDH Amsterdam definitely has the best selection I have seen.  It rivaled most LCDH's in Havana (imho at least).  I picked up a box of Por Larranga Grand Robusto RE's and a 3 pack of Siglo IV's.  

The selection at PJC Hajenius was not impressive at all. Maybe there was more to see (the lounge) but the selection was very basic.  I found a better selection at Havana House in Haarlem.  I did buy several different kinds of Dutch Cigars (for whatever reason).  Havana house has their house blend 'Teylers', which is a decent cigar, especially for the price 

Hartman cigars had a similar selection to PJC Hajenius, but the guys in the shop were very cool to chat with and eager to help.  I grabbed a box of LCG Platinum Edition Dutch Regionals from there.  Some absolutely beautiful cigars.  I hope they smoke as well as they look.  

• Like 1

On 6/3/2019 at 5:15 PM, bmf30180 said:

LCDH Amsterdam definitely has the best selection I have seen.  It rivaled most LCDH's in Havana (imho at least).  I picked up a box of Por Larranga Grand Robusto RE's and a 3 pack of Siglo IV's.  

The selection at PJC Hajenius was not impressive at all. Maybe there was more to see (the lounge) but the selection was very basic.  I found a better selection at Havana House in Haarlem.  I did buy several different kinds of Dutch Cigars (for whatever reason).  Havana house has their house blend 'Teylers', which is a decent cigar, especially for the price 

Hartman cigars had a similar selection to PJC Hajenius, but the guys in the shop were very cool to chat with and eager to help.  I grabbed a box of LCG Platinum Edition Dutch Regionals from there.  Some absolutely beautiful cigars.  I hope they smoke as well as they look.  

Does Hartman have a lounge?  I can't tell from their website or other sources.

6 hours ago, inter4alia said:

Does Hartman have a lounge?  I can't tell from their website or other sources.

I don’t think they do. It’s a narrow shop. I didn’t see one. Nice staff. Two dudes working when I went. Missed the LCDH at the nice hotel there. Decent selection, nothing uniquely out of the ordinary. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/4/2019 at 12:15 AM, bmf30180 said:

Patrick at Hartman is a great BOTL. Chatted with him for a while. Nicest guy and eager to talk share honest advice. Grabbed a Siglo IV from him and just sat down with it at Freddy's Fumoir around the corner. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, inter4alia said:

Patrick at Hartman is a great BOTL. Chatted with him for a while. Nicest guy and eager to talk share honest advice. Grabbed a Siglo IV from him and just sat down with it at Freddy's Fumoir around the corner. 

Is he the guy with the beard?  That's who I dealt with.  Sounds like it may have been the same guy.  We chatted for quite a while, even though the shop was packed.

1 hour ago, bmf30180 said:

Is he the guy with the beard?  That's who I dealt with.  Sounds like it may have been the same guy.  We chatted for quite a while, even though the shop was packed.

Serious beard and tats. Must be same guy, he handled chatting with me while dealing with a busy shop and in between checking other people out. Real pro. Thanks for the heads up. I might not have visited that shop without your recommendation. 

Photo from Freddy's. Starting to fill in now. Was empty when I arrived. Nice room. 

20190614_205822.jpg

Yep, same guy.  I just didn't catch his name.  I thought he was American at first because I couldn't detect an accent at all.  Being from the South, it's hard not to focus on those things.  Super nice guy.  We chatted all the while people were in and out of the shop.  Even broke out my phone and we were going thru pics of my last trip to Cuba and my haul.  He was excited to see the 898's and Sir Winstons.  If you have the time, try to make your way over to the LCDH Amsterdam.  It's near the Van Gogh Museum, maybe a 5 minute walk  They have a great selection.  They have a pile of Behike Boxes on the top shelf (not for sale)... something tells me they are empty :).  A lot of the hard to find stuff was not for sale for some reason.  I did see 50 cabs of Hoyo DC, Punch DC and Lusitanias there.  First place I have ever seen them.  They were pricey, but for sale.  Nice fellow working there as well.  He answered my questions, but pretty much left me to gawk at everything.  Have a good trip!  I love the Netherlands, can't wait to get back.

• Like 1