Everest Anyone?

Colt45

I saw that picture on the weekend. That is crazy, like zombies, . How the heck do you get down with out dying if you are at the front of the line? Everest is big business now.

It's almost a shame that it's basically just a giant tourist destination with the long lines and all the garbage and human waste. A tourist trap that will literally kill you.  I'm sure these travel/expedition companies just make bank while trashing the environment and endangering their clients. 

been following the everest mess for years - when i was much much younger, i was a bit keen to think about doing it but, as much as i enjoyed climbing, i was both utterly crap at it and hopeless with heights. but i used to read anything on it i can get. i remember going to see doug scott, who was one of the two guys on chris bonnington's southwest everest expedition (fantastic book and doco if you ever find either) - the first brits to scale everest and the first ever up that side - give a lecture at queensland uni. he was the first up a couple of dozen other mountains in the himalayas. he looked like the ultimate wild man. i remember i was taking a leak and he walked in and stood next to me. his biceps were bigger than my thighs. just massive (saw him in a recent doco and he is now an old balding man - lord it made me feel old). 

but all were dreams rather than reality. and watching the crowds doing it is insanity. even before all this, one in ten who attempted everest died. so this is beyond my comprehension. if you watch some of the films/docos of the disasters of recent times, why would you bother. but i had no idea how bad it was till i saw that pic. i'm sure that is not the summit but it hardly matters. these days, even if i thought i could, i would have absolutely no interest in trying to climb it. until they control this and severely limit those attempting it, there are going to be a lot more deaths. 

On 5/28/2019 at 6:18 AM, rckymtn22 said:

I saw that picture on the weekend. That is crazy, like zombies, . How the heck do you get down with out dying if you are at the front of the line? Everest is big business now.

The answer is, you don't. Due to the congestion, people have died waiting. Hell, there is a pic of people lined up, passing a dead body.

• 5 weeks later...

There’s a documentary Death Zone: Cleaning Everest on amazon prime video. It’s about a group of sherpas that spent weeks cleaning up discarded trash and even retrieved a couple of bodies of deceased climbers. They talk about the amount of trash up there and how the human waste problem is affecting drinking water/snow up there. It also shows the effects of climate change up there. I recommend watching. 

I would love to be present when one of these ego maniac business men drop into conversation:

Business man 1:    Yeah, no... i'm just a bit tight in the hammies, what with err.....you know....climing Everest last week

Business man 2:    What day were you there?  I was wearing the lime green North face onesie

Business man 3:    Well, that would of made it difficult, as I was wearing lime green too

Waiter :                   Don't you all recognise me, I was moonlighting as your Sherpa!?

Dog outside the Restaurant:       I go up all the time, to get energy bars of the dead, but I don't go on and on about it.