Video Review - Gurkha Cellar Reserve Limitada 15 Year Solara

Ferrero

12 minutes ago, Notsocleaver said:

Wait, really?

I was in Hong Kong back in March/April and noted some members I respect a great deal smoking Gurkha. 

They recommended two and graciously supplied them for a review. 

I am always happy to try new things :ok:

• Like 2

Such brave souls.  :D Life's too short to smoke Gurkha's IMO.  I have a hard enough time reaching for NC's I like.  And @Ken Gargett your "enthusiasm" for the opportunity shone through.  You're both good sports for doing this though.  

• Like 2

Higher score than I expected. Cheers. Its important to note Gurhka has a inflated MSRP, and they go on sale sometimes twice a month to its "normal" pricing. If you check most NC sites these are going for about 160-190 USD per box of 20. This inflation to $15 a stick is largely marketing and people dont normally pay nearly that much. It's part of the reason they get some much hate tossed at them. Most of thier lines are actually closer to $3 a stick. China and a lot of Americans loves these cigars recently. The cellar reserve 15 is the only one I'll smoke anymore, but not frequently.

• Like 1

Gurkha are a punchline around here. For good reason, from those I've been unfortunate enough to smoke. The only thing worse than the cigars? Their marketing. $1500 cigar dipped in cognac so you can buy your way into the Robb Report as "most expensive cigar"? Sod off.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, juri said:

yeah Gurkha are a bit of a joke but what they are doing is not any worse then GR.... pardon family reserve are aged for 10 years think even the 26 have 5 years yet you can buy a box under $300 GR are aged for what 5 years good luck finding one outside of cuba for under a grand 

its all hype and marketing 

I guess the proof is in the smoke. I'll take GR or Padron any day over Gurgka :)

We have to be a little bit cautious about being too precious :cigar:

When cigar lovers I respect tell me they enjoy a few Gurkhas......I pay attention and want to try it for myself. 

When in havana last November I sat down with Damian Tapanes of American Caribbean Cigars.  We had a fantastic conversation over several of his cigars. The first one I didn't like at all. I explained what i did like in a cigar and he went up to his room and came down with an absolute cracking little petit lancero.  I learned later that  he makes 4 million cigars a year for Gurkha and he is only one of the suppliers. 

I remember when most  on Cuban boards laughed at Jonathan Drew  of Drew Estates (Acid). Today, one of the most in demand NC cigar makers in Europe/China. 

I don't care if the tobacco is Cuban or Non Cuban. I am more than happy to look through the manufacturer and  marketing hype to assess the cigar itself.

This Gurkha in the vid is a $15 cigar.  OK? yes. Value? Not for me although I thought the aesthetics and presentation to be exceptional. Flavour, one dimensional. it was a good dimension but alas little journey. 

I have a "Black Dragon" yet to try :D

• Like 2

Excellent review guys, I agree, find the Gurkha's relatively one dimensional but always love to explore new cigars whether NC or CC.  Will be interested for the next review of the Black dragon!

I was gifted a few of the Gurkha cellar reserve line and they were definitely not my thing.  I will say they just released the "Master Select Original Vintage Blend" and they're pretty danged good smokes.  I'm eating crow over that one.

One of my favorite parts of these reviews is watching Rob and Ken light up, so I'm disappointed we didn't get to see it, ROFL.  Ken is old-school - soft flame, puff and turn, and Rob is very exacting and scientific with his torch, toasting the foot.  Yin and Yang.

1 minute ago, Deeg said:

One of my favorite parts of these reviews is watching Rob and Ken light up, so I'm disappointed we didn't get to see it, ROFL.  Ken is old-school - soft flame, puff and turn, and Rob is very exacting and scientific with his torch, toasting the foot.  Yin and Yang.

And not just a soft flame, usually just a bic lighter yeah?

• Like 1