ICC World Cup 2019 (50 overs) in England

So what are people's first impressions after three games (fourth ongoing)?

Waking up 5 in the morning to watch a complete stomping with a 13-over chase (TWICE now!) has not been worth it to me. I hope things improve. England looked impressive though, especially bowling, and maybe WI can have some upsets.

India stepping in to the tournament on Wednesday, will be interesting to see how they fare against SA and then the Aussies.

Who wins it all? I'll go out on a limb and say NZ although I wouldn't mind seeing the home team take it.

• Like 1

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

john, my pick for the final four and order is india, england, austrralia and nz. so we would have to play england in a semi. not easy. rather play nz and have england and india beat themselves up. 

john, cracking match.  there will always be some sharp early chances. england did not take theirs and australia took full advantage. the way england fielded was bizarre. really ordinary. and the

That must have been the closest, most exciting 1 day game ever. Fair play NZ for the way they took the defeat, don’t think I could have been so magnanimous 

Watching some complete thrashings in less than 20 overs batting has been a surprise for me. I have to tip my hat off to the West Indies though, no-one expected the short ball to be such a tactical weapon in this World Cup but so far it's played a huge part in 3 matches.

I honestly don't know who will win this World Cup. All I do know is that those teams who have had big wins (i.e. West Indies and New Zealand) will face tougher competition very soon and I'm interested to see how they handle the challenge. I also don't naturally aspire to the popular view that England and India are favourites, well, especially India. I do think England will be very hard to beat due to form but India's form has been 'so-so' of late.

Australia have had a tremendous run of recent One-day International success. If you include official and warm-up/practice games it's been something like 13 wins in their last 14 games. I also think they will face stiff competition soon and I'm interested to see how they react to that, particularly in their bowling.

• Like 1

Finally a good show. Hats off to Bangladesh, a stunning inning all and all. Highest ever ODI score for them and it looked composed. It will be a good chase, SA is in dire need of a first win (despite it only being their second game)

@JohnS what do you think about the exclusion of ODI status associate teams? To be honest, I think it was a good decision. The more overs, the more apparent differences in quality is. I love seeing smaller nations get upsets in T20 but I'm just not sure if any team would have had a chance here.

I think what's happened is the ICC has had enough of sponsoring the Zimbabwe Cricket Union for many, many years and through consistent efforts at diplomatic solutions they've been unable to both recoup their investment and influence Zimbabwe Cricket to improve its administration. Thus, Zimbabwe being ranked 11th in the world in One-Day Cricket were never going to participate in the World Cup in 2019. The collateral damage to this outcome is the fact that Ireland, ranked 12th, should 100% be there but teams like Nepal and UAE...no, they won't be missed, they'd be just making up the numbers.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, JohnS said:

I think what's happened is the ICC has had enough of sponsoring the Zimbabwe Cricket Union for many, many years and through consistent efforts at diplomatic solutions they've been unable to both recoup their investment and influence Zimbabwe Cricket to improve its administration. Thus, Zimbabwe being ranked 11th in the world in One-Day Cricket were never going to participate in the World Cup in 2019. The collateral damage to this outcome is the fact that Ireland, ranked 12th, should 100% be there but teams like Nepal and UAE...no, they won't be missed, they'd be just making up the numbers.

Good point. It does also affect how the group stage is played, one vs. two groups (e.g. the 2015 WC). I think I prefer this format. I'm not sure it would work to have a 12-team group, too many games.

Let's see if England can get the record of highest chance in a World Cup!

• Like 1

Now this is looking like a game we've been waiting for. Despite WI giving 20+ extras and counting, they're looking good. If it wasn't for Smith (booo!?), the Aussies would be out of luck here. Coulter-Nile is playing his hearts out with the bat, very impressive.

Cottrell's catch just now must be the best this year all formats, probably the best I've seen in a very long time. Chris Gayle is entertaining as always.

You'd have to say that the West Indies should have beaten Australia on account of extras and dropped catches. Ok, onwards to the next match everyone is looking forward to...Australia vs India on Sunday.

On 6/6/2019 at 8:59 PM, encephalization said:

Now this is looking like a game we've been waiting for. Despite WI giving 20+ extras and counting, they're looking good. If it wasn't for Smith (booo!?), the Aussies would be out of luck here. Coulter-Nile is playing his hearts out with the bat, very impressive.

Cottrell's catch just now must be the best this year all formats, probably the best I've seen in a very long time. Chris Gayle is entertaining as always.

That was probably the best cricket shot Steve Smith had ever played...truly remarkable ...undone bye that catch...did you see how stunned and amazed Smith was

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, JohnS said:

You'd have to say that the West Indies should have beaten Australia on account of extras and dropped catches. Ok, onwards to the next match everyone is looking forward to...Australia vs India on Sunday.

Yes, definitely agree. I was very close to saying how impressed I've been with the umps prior to that game. I feel bad for the West Indies, that loss may come back to haunt them.

2 hours ago, westg said:

That was probably the best cricket shot Steve Smith had ever played...truly remarkable ...undone bye that catch...did you see how stunned and amazed Smith was

Yes, I almost felt a bit of sympathy for Smith. ALMOST.

Thanks for entertaining me with replying to this thread. Not a soul around me interested in cricket so this is my only outlet. Double games tomorrow!

• Like 1

[mention=30156]encephalization[/mention], do not worry... [mention=9]Ken Gargett[/mention] will find this thread soon enough and give his thoughts. He's one of our forum resident cricket experts, and I mean that with the greatest respect!
Oh I know. To be fair, I have respect for Ken's opinions in all topics (at least the ones he's been vocal about and not timed-out for on this board (I am a climate scientist after all)) so I'd be more than happy for him to show up here.

OnT: I am really looking forward to ENG-BAN game tomorrow. A lot at stake!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Not much to report from the last few days (other than India's win I guess). Rain, rain, rain. I find it interesting that the top four teams currently (after 2-4 games played each) are the ones I expect to finish on top. I do think WI could grab one of those spots, they've looked much better than I had feared. We'll see.

I am setting my alarm early for the Aussie-Pakistan game tomorrow though (maybe I should check the weather forecast before I go to bed tonight). Go Australia!

[mention=30156]encephalization[/mention], are those teams England, India. Australia, West indies and New Zealand? I think those 5 teams are the best chance for the semi-finals.
Yeah, right now NZ, England, India, and Australia, are top four. WI my inclusion. Crazy considering that they've only played 30% of the group stage (and that it is only one group). Guessing that WI could compete, the wash against SA might end up hurting them though.

General thoughts of top four at this stage:
Aussie bowling over-rated
If Southee makes it back he could be the tie-breaker between NZ and ENG
India great but given too much respect

If India wins the trophy, I shall send the second most poster in this thread a care package.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, encephalization said:

Yeah, right now NZ, England, India, and Australia, are top four. WI my inclusion. Crazy considering that they've only played 30% of the group stage (and that it is only one group). Guessing that WI could compete, the wash against SA might end up hurting them though.

General thoughts of top four at this stage:
Aussie bowling over-rated
If Southee makes it back he could be the tie-breaker between NZ and ENG
India great but given too much respect

If India wins the trophy, I shall send the second most poster in this thread a care package.

Haha...go India! ? ?

• Haha 1

i think pakistan is a wild card. who knows what they will do. but otherwise, those five the best shot. very surprised south africa have been so poor.

australia a puzzle. top four can be brilliant. ussie, warner, finch and smith. smith not surprising me at all. always thought he'd come back well. two opening bowlers terrific - starc and cummins. carey can get some good runs. maxwell? can win an impossible game but does it once every three years. 

but after that?? stonios C-nile, zampa? i just cringe when i think we used to have warne and now we have zampa. the selectors, despite the evidence of so many years, have decided a bunch of all-rounders can win this thing. it never works. the all-rounders have to be able to get a spot in the team as either a bat or bowler first and then contribute with the other skill. none of ours can do that. none would get a spot as either a bowler or a bat alone. and not sure carey that good a keeper and he sure as hell is no gilly when it comes to batting. 

we have five or six very good players, though not sure any are truly stellar bar smith, starc and cummins. we have far too players making up the numbers. if the top order fail to fire or starc or cummins don't bulldoze through the opposition, this time we do not have the players to step up and do it. if we won this, it would be an amazing performance with a huge dose of luck. i think we are next to no chance. i think we'll sneak in at 4 or just miss at 5. we might get lucky in a semi but not if it is against india. 

loved the way india played against us. did so well and played so cleverly. i know kohli can be abrasive but for me, i am and have long been a huge fan. no better than smith when they were both at peak, as bats, but he is a star alone now. for me, he is ganguly with talent and i think he is better than tendulkar. or at least, i'd pick him before i'd pick sachin. bit like saying that there were blokes with more talent than border but you'd still pick him for that utter determination. for me, i think india are marginally to be favoured ahead of england. i think england have a failure in them and it could come in the semis or final. 

west indies, looking fun but i'd suspect they'll actually go five. new zealand. solid and steady. not stellar but they'll be up there. not good enough to win the lot. 

our best hope is that new zealand and/or west indies and ourselves both make the semis and somehow we end up drawn against them. then either england gets the win against india and has a meltdown against us or if we play india, rain interferes and we win on some ridiculous calculation. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks Ken, I appreciate the insight. And I agree with a lot of it. Perhaps the criticism against Australia is even more fitting today. The problem with all-rounders has been explicit and couple that with some odd choices for the batting line up. I can't see the reasoning behind putting Khawaja in the sixth spot. I've always loved the anticipation when Maxwell walks out the middle in T20 but it is clear that he isn't a great fit in ODIs and (especially) Tests. Obviously the value of Maxwell is tilted towards his batting (rather than the bowling) but with one century in 104 ODI attempts (compared to three centuries in 59 international T20s), I think his reputation might be exaggerated. To be honest, I'd throw Stoinis in that category too. I

On the other hand, I'm not sure if I'm all that excited about the alternative. Yes, Starc and Cummins would make most teams but after that? Nathan Lyon? Jason Behrendorff? Andrew Tye? Mitch Marsh?

Where did Stanlake go? At least he has some years to develop, most of the above names are in their thirties now.

Yes, it is plain to see that the Australian team do have a disparity in player consistency. Half the team are reliable performers (Starc, Cummins, Warner, Finch, Smith and in ODI cricket, believe it or not, Sean Marsh) but the other half are not. I read on Cricinfo yesterday that Glenn Maxwell gets out in ODI cricket in the first 20 balls of his innings 62% of the time. At that rate making the other scores doesn't matter if your contribution is missing every 2 of 3 games.

Alright, looks like we'll have a game tomorrow finally. It will be my birthday and I just moved to a new city so I will have to celebrate on my own. Please weather Gods give me one good birthday present (being a thrilling game).

All these rained out games are pissing me off to be honest. Unfortunately, whoever loses between WI and England will probably be out of the semis.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, encephalization said:

All these rained out games are pissing me off to be honest. Unfortunately, whoever loses between WI and England will probably be out of the semis.

It shouldn't have to come to that. Yes, it's a shame about the rain.

3 hours ago, encephalization said:

Unfortunately, whoever loses between WI and England will probably be out of the semis.

that i most certainly do not buy. if england, for example, lost, they would have 4 points from four games. and still be in fifth spot with five games to go. sure, India is one of those but they should win the rest, including v us.  

tougher for the windies to make it if they lose today but they would still be only a game outside the top four with five games to go. a win tonight helps either side enormously, but a long way to go. 

Of course, everything is possible but I'd still stand by the losers' chances being under 50%. Yes, England ought to beat Australia (although you have eked out two wins from what probably should've been losses) but to be fair, I figured they'd have a much greater chance against Pakistan and we saw what happened there. I definitely don't consider NZ a game England will have in the bag. At best India and NZ are coin flips, probably less than that. WI has the same schedule (just swap Australia for Pakistan) but that rain point instead of a win does make it difficult. Maybe I'm just an optimist that anything can happen.

It looks like a moot point after WI's lackluster inning anyway. Good for England.

Not much to report, rather boring games (the ones that haven't rained out). Didn't buy into the IND-PAK hype with Pakistan looking like they do. Bangladesh looked very good yesterday. Shakib marvelous. My favorite moment must have been Cottrell's fantastic fielding though, just the perfect display of muscle memory from someone who has lived the game for decades. Fast forward to 3:34 in the ICC video below:

I tell you though, Eoin Morgan's 17 sixes last night in his 148-run inning of 71 balls was amazing! Also Shakib Al Hasan's 124 not out against the West Indies. 

Bring on today's game! Will New Zealand remain undefeated or will South Africa start to play like the current No.3 ranked ODI team in the world?

Also, will Shakib Al Hasan's form continue against Australia on Thursday?