Whynter CHC-251S Cigar Cooler Seasoning

BDSpiritual1

Hi everyone!

I just picked up a Whynter CHC-251S (400CT) and will attempt to season it before the weather gets hot and my house temperature rises as I don't feel the AC running all day.

Instead of wiping down the shelves and drawers with DW, I'm thinking to use some shot glasses and a few sponges to help the seasoning process. Ive thought about using the spray method instead of direct wiping but probably won't bother. Also, I don't have 84% seasoning packs and will not be purchasing them just for this. However, I do have lots of various boveda packs of all RHs but will use my 320g and 60g 65% packs once it has stabilized. 

I searched the site but couldn't fine the answer so I thought here would be a great place to ask.

With regards to seasoning the cigar cooler, the shelves and drawers, should I plug it in so it seasons at the desired temperature or should I only turn it off after? Also, I don't smell any plastic what so ever but should I still wipe it down with DW and baking soda? 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

I would recommend still using the baking soda wipe down just in case. I had mine plugged in and running the entire seasoning process. Used a similar method with a tray of water in mine, took maybe 3 or 4 days and then I let it run a day without the water to make sure it held humidity ok. 

Had mine for almost 3 years running constantly and have never had issues. (Knock on wood)

Just now, Stump89 said:

I would recommend still using the baking soda wipe down just in case. I had mine plugged in and running the entire seasoning process. Used a similar method with a tray of water in mine, took maybe 3 or 4 days and then I let it run a day without the water to make sure it held humidity ok. 

Had mine for almost 3 years running constantly and have never had issues. (Knock on wood)

Thanks!! Did you only use the tray that came with it or you used a few different ones? 

12 minutes ago, Jequan_sparxxx said:

Thanks!! Did you only use the tray that came with it or you used a few different ones

Used all the ones it came with. After a while I took all the shelves out because even though they are thin( like 3/8" maybe), they still take up space for more boxes lol. Just have 1 singles drawer and all boxes. Always a struggle for more space in this game lol!

1 minute ago, Stump89 said:

Used all the ones it came with. After a while I took all the shelves out because even though they are thin( like 3/8" maybe), they still take up space for more boxes lol. Just have 1 singles drawer and all boxes. Always a struggle for more space in this game lol!

Hahaha! So I've noticed!!

As for the tray, I meant the one that it came with to put in water/beads. Did you only use that tray with water for seasoning or did you use other things around the cooler? 

Season, stack, loaded and ready to go!!!

Still have overflow but in time.

I put the 320g boveda packs behind the boxes on both the middle and bottom as there is a fan in there and left a few pack bigger pack in the drawers and laying around.

I hope the way I stacked the cigars in the drawer is ok as they are in rows of 3. Those are all my quarter box pick ups!

IMG_20190609_080531.thumb.jpg.382946a1ce2e30394d705fdb8333721c.jpg

IMG_20190609_122130.thumb.jpg.231e7a8285656e3bea4b1003e4e638eb.jpg

IMG_20190609_122245.thumb.jpg.7ca44fcc0c4adf8034c0954c55114592.jpg

• Like 2

On 6/9/2019 at 4:10 PM, Jequan_sparxxx said:

Season, stack, loaded and ready to go!!!

Still have overflow but in time.

I put the 320g boveda packs behind the boxes on both the middle and bottom as there is a fan in there and left a few pack bigger pack in the drawers and laying around.

I hope the way I stacked the cigars in the drawer is ok as they are in rows of 3. Those are all my quarter box pick ups!

IMG_20190609_080531.thumb.jpg.382946a1ce2e30394d705fdb8333721c.jpg

IMG_20190609_122130.thumb.jpg.231e7a8285656e3bea4b1003e4e638eb.jpg

IMG_20190609_122245.thumb.jpg.7ca44fcc0c4adf8034c0954c55114592.jpg

So it holds about 20 boxes? My 7 year old wineador went kaput and I have 18 boxes with two more coming in. I wouldn't need both single drawers as I don't have that many singles.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, alloy said:

So it holds about 20 boxes? My 7 year old wineador went kaput and I have 18 boxes with two more coming in. I wouldn't need both single drawers as I don't have that many singles.

Most of my boxes are 10 counts but if you took out all the drawers and shelves to optimize on boxes, you sound be good to go. They say this model holds 400+ .

I felt bad paying the money for this unit then taking out almost all the shelves but it is what it is lol.

So far so good. It runs well, holds steady and is pretty quiet. Seems to have good air circulation due to the fan which always seems to run. 

Just ordered one through Amazon. Got a good deal since I received 150 dollar gift card for Father's Day. Delivered on the 18th. I probably won't use the drawers since I don't have many singles. Should I wipe down the drawers if I'm not going to use them?

On 6/2/2019 at 10:18 AM, Jequan_sparxxx said:

It's a good thing I decided to listen and wipe the inside. I used a brand new sponge and by the time I was done, it was pretty blackish. Guess that's residue from the plastic! 

So the inside is plastic and not metal? And how long did you air it out after wiping it down?

Thanks for the help.

Never mind. Got it yesterday and did what y'all said to do. Man, I took the drawers out to wipe them down and they made my apartment smell like Spanish cedar! My wife loves the smell. 

Now just waiting for it to get up to 65%rh.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bit the bullet and bought a CHC-Whynter 172BD. Paid 180$ US for an open box unit. Because of that the plastic smell was nonexistent. So I just wiped down with a microfiber towel and distilled water.  Wiped down the shelves and drawers with distilled water on day 1 and also put the included plastic container on the bottom with distilled water. Set for 66F. Wiped down again on day 2. Still have the container with distilled water in there so the wood can absorb some more. Added 4 60G Boveda 65%. 

Day 3 going to probably take the container out and see where the RH levels out. So far everything has been pretty stable during the seasoning process. 

5E98AA7D-AD75-4B47-98BF-86FED80F2F4E.jpeg

535CA45D-5840-4F5B-A282-C408E7943F14.png

• 9 months later...

Not sure if anyone will see this but has anyone that has this unit or similar ever felt like or noticed that the humidity at the front near the glass is much lower than elsewhere?

I usually keep my Boveda Butler on a shelf or near my boxes but I kept noticing that the built in hygrometer in the drawer was always lower. So, I mounted my Butler beside it and over the last few days the humidity has read about 61%. 

I tested the hygrometers and they seem fine against 65% so just wondering if this is normal. 

Any thoughts?