HDM Epicure #2 SEA MAY 17 (PRRRW)

Bought as (5) cardboard 3-packs. Been in my humidor for just over a year. This is the 2nd one I’ve smoked.

A beautiful looking Colorado wrapper. On the dry side, with some tooth. Very minimal veins. Feels a little light in the hand and underfilled. We shall see.

I clip the cap cleanly and as feared the draw is on the open side. Begin toasting and the burn gets off to a straight start.

973e661794747d13a9f4957dbd0e1534.jpg

The draw stays on the open side throughout the smoke, however it doesn’t burn hot and it only gets bitter in the last 1”. A bit more airy and underfilled then I prefer. As for the burn line, it was a little wavy throughout but it never requires a touch up. Can’t ask for much more than that. Ash is very light and flaky. This is just not a fully filled cigar. Did I say that already?

54c79b10e77bb5a05e324e5022d9b40b.jpg

Flavor wise, it was tasty enough but nothing to go raving and writing home about. Starts off with some white pepper being dominant. About 1/2” in, the smoke develops a tartness to it followed by some cedar wood and the white pepper on the finish. The retrohale enhances the cedar notes. Not many transitions or complexity but it was a flavorful cigar. Got a little harsh when I got to the band.

3acec30b58d37d180c9737c512dfcf48.jpg

Solid medium body, medium flavors, mild-medium strength.

f8982dc01def57ac4d4a0bb3693f3a51.jpg

I give it an 84-85 out of 100

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

that wrapper doesn't look Cuban and the tooth makes me leary.  those veins and tooth scream not produced by Habanos SA. just my 2 cents

Nah, it’s genuine. The loose draw and being underfilled is a dead giveaway.

Never seen a Cuban with veins and some tooth?

Those kind of veins don’t look Cuban. Cuban wrappers with tooth, I’m not familiar with any ,especially on HDM. I know that cigar didn’t come from FOH. Ask around the forum of what people think of a toothy Habano with veins like those. 

I’ve had some D4’s with toothy wrappers come from here. I was not aware that the certain look of veins was specific to Cuba. I mean it’s no offense to me, I didn’t make it. But it was bought from a reputable vendor who wouldn’t be questioned by anyone here and it did not taste like it came from anywhere other than Cuba or taste any differently than the other HDM #2’s that I’ve smoked

yes there is a certain look to Cuban veins. look like stitches . ask this forum. that wrapper looks strange for a Cuban but it came from a 3 pack. 

Yes I know that look. However that certainly doesn’t account for ALL Cuban cigars. Just have a look at the FOH daily smoke thread. Typically the thicker wrappers (like this one) have straighter veins and the more “supple” wrappers have the ones you’re describing. Doesn’t make them any more or less Cuban. Perhaps more desirable though. Don’t know what to tell ya though man. Happy smoking.

23 hours ago, Psiman said:

that wrapper doesn't look Cuban and the tooth makes me leary.  those veins and tooth scream not produced by Habanos SA. just my 2 cents

I don't doubt its authenticity at all but I think I maybe at least see where you're coming from. The wrapper has a mottling (for want of a better word) on it that you see on many of the Padron 26/64 Anniversarios, eg. The tooth, I think, is inconsequential. 

Perhaps one of the most desirable CCs of all-time is the 1492. I have never heard anyone say anything bad about one of those, when I read reviews on that cigar, I start to drool. That cigar has toothy wrappers with veins that look just like that Epi 2. Am I saying that your Epi 2 is on par with the 1492? No. But the best cigars from Cuba seem to sometimes have toothy wrappers.