Aussie Beer Scene

Stump89

Went to stock up for the week and grabbed a Foster's oil can.  Now don't get me wrong, it tastes pretty darn good for cheap beer, and I do love cheap beer. But I've had beer from all over the world, even New Zealand, but I don't know a whole lot about Australian beer.  What else is out there and what's good?

15595112497739190939544637292735.jpg

Fosters is what we give tourists. No Aussie actually drinks that swill. Look for Little Creatures, Coopers, or James Squire. I don't think any of the small craft beer companies are exporting their beer.

On 6/3/2019 at 7:34 AM, Stump89 said:

Went to stock up for the week and grabbed a Foster's oil can.  Now don't get me wrong, it tastes pretty darn good for cheap beer, and I do love cheap beer. But I've had beer from all over the world, even New Zealand, but I don't know a whole lot about Australian beer.  What else is out there and what's good?

15595112497739190939544637292735.jpg

Hi mate, the Aus beer scene has evolved a lot, especially in the last 10 years. The everyday drinking beers are Victoria Bitter, Carlton Draught, XXXX, Great Northern. But they are just smashed em' down ice cold out of an esky (chiller) at a BBQ so you don't have to taste them. Each state has a beer they pretend to be loyal to, and a lot of people won't drink anything else but there are a host of craft brewers throughout Australia, making everything from barrel aged stout to sours. The Good Beer Week has just ended in Victoria and then in NSW, which is a celebration of all the beers of the previous year and beers made especially for the festival. Here is a list of the top 100. I don't necessarily agree with the ratings but It's a good place to start. Cheers. https://www.gabsfestival.com/h100-2018-aus-main-list