Current Fitness Routines?

On 6/14/2019 at 2:00 PM, Kaptain Karl said:

I don’t necessarily agree with that idea. The only thing that leads to fat loss is a calorie deficit. I’ve been eating 200-300g of carbs a day and I have lost 20lbs over 2 months. I was, most importantly, in a 500cal daily deficit. However, you do want to eliminate processed foods and simple carbs, but that is the second thing you do AFTER you get yourself into a calorie deficit. 

I am in full agreement with this....I did not mean to say "eliminate" carbs...just stay away from the high-glycemic stuff.  And definitiely use the caloric deficit to drop pounds....works every time.

• Like 1

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Working hard on the treadmill, bwana!

I work out 60 to 90 minutes, three days on, one day off, weightlifting.  I don't smoke a stogie before I work out.  I'm 59.

I just thought of an elderly gent once in the Gym. He was definitely a standout. He appeared to be in his late 70's early 80's. He would walk in, clean shoes, kakhi pant, polo shirt and a baseball hat

Spent basically July and August travelling for work or with the family and therefore my diet when to utter shit.  Back on the wagon this week (same with the gym).  Time to get in shape in time to hide under many layers during the winter!!

I go to the gym 5 days a week doing arms one day chest back another and legs on Mondays and shoulders separate.  I love doing arms and shoulders so I do them twice a week.  Then running I do 3-4 days a week from 3-7 miles.  I was running 15 miles a pop but lost to much weight.  Nutrition is a tough point for me it’s hard to keep it in perfect check but I’m trying my best.  Interested in doing easing about these programs 

On 6/4/2019 at 12:53 PM, El Presidente said:

I am pretty sure it is aging. Pissing me off no end that I can't do what I was doing 18 months ago but it has motivated me!

interesting to see what people are doing diet wise. I do 16/8 IF daily, no cheating. Sugars out, carbs under 50g daily. It has worked well. 

El Prez, some simple advice: the actual weight doesn’t count at all. If you want to build and/or strengthen muscles what counts is hurt. There’s an old rule that can’t be beat: NO PAIN, NO GAIN! BUT don’t fool yourself. You can easily “feel” that it hurts mentally, but it really doesn’t. If it hurts, it means that it HURTS on the second or the third day.?

As you get older, you must however be careful with the hurt. Don’t overdo heavy weights - pain easily transfers to injury. And recovery time is longer. Split the body in sections and do one section once or max twice a week, with 3 days apart.

Diet: I basically do Atkins. That’s no carb or very low carb. If you do no carb, it stresses your body and it MAY affect your weight lifting/training ability either temporarily when you start, or forever. Depends on your body’s ability to convert fat to energy. The good thing about Atkins is you can eat all you want of meat, fat and veggies. But the second good thing is that you won’t, because the body will automatically restrain its own intake because it can’t convert the stuff you eat to energy fast enough. 

Atkins doesn’t really go well with a hedonistic lifestyle, but basically stay away from beer. Beer is essentially liquid honey. And you WILL get fat from it sooner or later, IF you don’t quickly burn it off. And that can only be done with intense cardio stuff, like running, biking (long and hard) etc. etc.

And talking about fruit. Fruit sugar is fructose, and in controlling blood sugar (insulin release), it is the worst kind of sugar because it triggers insulin release the fastest. Insulin release spikes are your ENEMY number one, because it triggers not only metabolism and the energy pathway it also triggers and chain reaction a whole lot of other different processes of which the worst is “stomach emptiness” ?

good luck.

My normal in-between day or 6 day work out is 8 minutes on the stair machine at 60 steps a minute with a 75 lb weight vest. After 8 minutes remove 25 pounds, and then immediately into 45 second intervals with 50 lb weight vest of presses, pulls(technique to simulate pulling hose), sledge hits, kettle bell swings. 4 reps of that circuit, takes just over an hour. On shift days much more gym focused and time permitting. 

• 1 year later...

The calorie deficit really works for me, The main point is to lose at least the same amount of calories as you've eaten. So, mainly I try to count the calories I eat and then work out in gym. Some years ago, when I just decided that I needed to lose weight I had no idea where to start and what diet to try... my friend then recommended me this https://kitodiet.me/ which was a great start. I've lost some pounds and now I just can't get off a healthy lifestyle that I've been keeping since then. All in all, now that I've tried a great deal of diets I can be a good advisor :D

I have been getting out gyming 4-5 days a week for the past 12 months. It has helped immensely to keep me sane. 25 minutes cardio, 25 minutes weights...nothing too strenuous. 
I have been peeved this last two months as all of a sudden I noticed that my upper weight thresholds have dropped 10%.  I am trying to get them back but it is proving harder than I thought.  getting older has its good sides but this isn't one of them!
Do you have an excise/diet regime that works for you?  

Working out is a must for me to keep me sane and keep my mental health, well...healthy. Cigars and working out. My outlets for stress, anxiety and minimizing depression.

Currently I run 5 days a week. 4-5 miles a run.

Though up until March I was lifting predominantly, it helped me lose 50 pounds over a 4 year period. No cardio. But then I tore my rotator cuff in February and I’ve been rehabbing it. Though it’s ready to handle weights again, covid happened and i don’t have a home gym. So running became the easiest thing for me. I had never been a runner before and i kitted myself out with a couple great pairs of running shoes (Hoka Bondi 6’s are great for heavier runners like me who have to pound out miles on pavement and concrete here in the city).

Though in retrospect, i have found that the the emotional benefits from running are greater than just straight lifting, I do think I looked much better when I was lifting. Clothes fit better. Funny thing is that I am probably in the best cardiovascular condition of my entire life, but i don’t look the best by a long shot. Thankfully I have the lady locked down and happy though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

Amen. 

I have changed my workout routine since the initial post. 

Work out every day.  50 minutes to 70 minutes.   Focus on muscle group each day (m-Legs  T- Chest + Shoulders  W- Abs and Arms T- Back) The rest of the week are Freestyle sessions be it at home or gym. 

Low carb and 12/8 fasting window.  4-5  days booze  free a week. introduced protein/casein powders to minimise  muscle loss during the calorie deficit phase. 

It's been 12 months and going well. Hit target weight and all other muscle and fat indicators are heading in the right direction. 

Mentally it has been a God send 

Consitency is key! Great work Prez!!  I think you deserve an FOH prize sampler :P haha. 

• Haha 1

Cycling while the weather has been good. I'm not too fast anyway and I have been riding with a chatterbox friend so that slows me down as well. I'll get 4 to 6 days a week in and it's about 20+ miles a ride. I've done some demanding exercise and I'm finding the low impact of the bike is awesome. I used to hurt all of the time doing what I called Crossfit for old guys, ie heavily scaled, and I'm pretty sure I'm not going back. I'm looking around for a set of free weights but that's a pipe dream right now. I'll figure out what to do when it's too cold to ride but I'm enjoying the hell out of it and I'm looking at longer rides now that fall is really here. And a big yes to the mind calming effect of vigorous exercise. It's mandatory for me and has been a great help during  these days of covid.

I’m a personal trainer by profession. I like to follow a push/pull/legs/arms split and then repeat. I walk my dog before breakfast for an hour in the mornings and follow my push and pull workouts with either 20km on the bike or 6x3m rounds skipping. As others have said consistency is key for both diet, diet being the most important part. 

I'm lazy and can't workout a program for myself. So I CrossFit a few times a week. Its varied and social (read competitive.) But I'm one of the oldies do just try to keep up with anyone who's lagging!

Also tonight, coach got me this little gift ?

IMG_20201005_211518.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, ha_banos said:

I'm lazy and can't workout a program for myself. So I CrossFit a few times a week. Its varied and social (read competitive.) But I'm one of the oldies do just try to keep up with anyone who's lagging!

Also tonight, coach got me this little gift ?

IMG_20201005_211518.jpg

I get it. Coach is trying to tell you to work on your appreciation of Romeo y Julieta! ?

• Haha 2

My typical routine is 5-6 runs per week, averaging around 6 miles per run (10km for the metric folks), and then 3-4 days a week of Muay Thai (Thai kickboxing). Admittedly, it's a lot of cardio and I need to add more resistance training, but it's fun for what it is.

Running is not only physically fruitful, but it's rather therapeutic, as well. Now Muay Thai? I question consistently why I pay a monthly fee to go get kicked in the face, but here we are, and I wouldn't change a thing.

• Like 1

I’ve added kettlebells to the start of climbing (bouldering) sessions, which I do about three times a week. This means I climb a bit less hard but I’m warmer and have done some solid work before I touch the wall. Seems to be making me stronger, and the bells help my lower back. Also a couple of shortish runs a week. And daily yoga / stretching.

• 2 weeks later...

I hate sport but go to the gym 3 times a week because I know the body needs it. Also, I decided to quit all bad habits and start keeping a healthy lifestyle. Quarantine made me look at things differently, to focus on what really matters. By the way guys, how to boost the immunity?

I'm lazy as hell about it. I'll do barbell curls and bench for upper. Deadlifts for lower, and situps, leg lifts, and russian twists for core. I do each of those once or twice a week. Plus stretching, stretching makes me feel and sleep so much better.

My routine is almost daily, and goes like this:

I sit with a small whiteboard just outside the gym entrance.  After lighting my cigar and pouring myself a large portion of Havana Club, I write the words WORKOUT on the whiteboard 10 times. 

My wrists are in great shape.  The rest of me, not so much.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My ideal routine each week is 4x mountain biking (~2500 feet per ride, about 100 mins.), 2x gym (The Big 3 + various arms, shoulder, core work), 1 day off. 

It's been hijacked by covid and some small children. 

I recently put together a serviceable home gym with equipment from Rogue, Sorinex, American barbell and some others. Cost a couple-few grand. The base is a monster lite squat/bench rack from Rogue -- very happy with the product and their customer service. But half the free world has had the same idea so all equipment is subject to long lead times.

So my actual routine these days is 2x biking per week (~1500-1800 feet per ride), 2x lifting, 3 days rest. 

Brings a lot of peace, fresh air, and a mix of various kinds of work. I've had about 6 relatively serious injuries from mt biking in the past decade (starting to think the 10,000 hour theory is bogus because I am still not that good at this), and I need to play smarter odds. So all my biking is cross country and light all mountain, with the occasional road ride to mix it up or if the trails are muddy. 

On 10/4/2020 at 4:30 PM, El Presidente said:

...4-5  days booze free a week...

I’m not sure we can be friends...but let’s see how things go, k?

• Haha 1