Current Fitness Routines?

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Working hard on the treadmill, bwana!

I work out 60 to 90 minutes, three days on, one day off, weightlifting.  I don't smoke a stogie before I work out.  I'm 59.

I just thought of an elderly gent once in the Gym. He was definitely a standout. He appeared to be in his late 70's early 80's. He would walk in, clean shoes, kakhi pant, polo shirt and a baseball hat

2 nights a week leg day which includes 15 minutes of cardio. 2 nights a week upper body, but half heartedly. 

Leg day is the most important for me. Nothing worse than to be a middle aged man with skinny bird legs. No, I like to look ridiculous with big thighs and massive calves, and slim torso.

I only wish I could get more leg time. Work and all that. 

I alternate between incline bench press and squats and machines for quads/thighs inner and outer. I really need to up my game because the machines are limited and I can rep those all day for my thighs. 

My weak spot is my back. I don't think I'm using good form. Or the right exercises. 

Anyway, I creep at the gym here around 2-3am. Empty and all mine.

In the morning, exercise for about 10 minutes - nothing unusual: 15 squats, 15 push-ups, 15 swing abs, 15 reverse push-ups, 1 minute jumping in place with raising your arms. In the evening the same thing. No special stress, but even this helps to keep yourself in good shape! Also on weekends, hiking is mandatory for about an hour. If possible, I also try to squat or push up during the day.

• 11 months later...

Im doing 20 minutes cardio followed by 40 minutes circuit training 6 days a week. On Sundays I do hour cardio. Im 58 now and down to high school weight. I also eat pretty well. No sugar and have had no beer since Super Bowl. I do get a pizza once a month. Much is done due to health issues etc but I feel much better. 

• Like 4

I'm bicycling about 70 to 80 miles a week. Mostly just over 20 miles a ride. As the weather gets better I'll ride more.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, joeypots said:

I'm bicycling about 70 to 80 miles a week. Mostly just over 20 miles a ride. As the weather gets better I'll ride more.

Coming off an injury, but usually try for about 80-150 a week. Throw in lifting and running in there for cross training. Maybe some swimming. 

Think I'm gonna shoot for a Olympic distance tri pr this year. Need a goal to focus on and right now feel pretty down and complacent on a fitness level

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, jakebarnes said:

Coming off an injury, but usually try for about 80-150 a week. Throw in lifting and running in there for cross training. Maybe some swimming. 

Think I'm gonna shoot for a Olympic distance tri pr this year. Need a goal to focus on and right now feel pretty down and complacent on a fitness level

Wow, that's impressive. 100m/week is a lot for me.

10 minutes ago, BrightonCorgi said:

A lot for most.  I am like half that. 😞

I believe that one must simply do something physical. It's not a contest. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, joeypots said:

I believe that one must simply do something physical. It's not a contest. 

Agreed. Never a contest, just finding what works for you! As for my mileage--it's my piece of mind time. Usually try to stretch those Saturday morning rides out to 60+ and a nice espresso at the end to keep my sanity. 

Lately I've been milling about trying a disorganized approach after hitting a plateau on some lifts a year ago. Been squatting at least once a week sometimes up to three, but different rep ranges each time. Either I'll do 10 singles, 5 to 7 triples, or 5 sets of 5. Then some snitch pulls or muscle snatches or power cleans for jolly. Then one day a week I'll just press overhead, alternating between sets of pull-ups. My favorite is 1, 2, 3, 4...up to ten and then back down, for a total of 100 broken up between whatever I feel like pressing that day. I've found that the pull-ups prime me to put up heavier weight and I've gotten up to close to 200 on the press, where I'd been stuck at 165 for a while before I started trying this. 

Other days I'll just do rows of various types until I get gassed, or alternatively ill do heavy cleans or snatches, or both. Then on another day I'll bench or jerk from the rack. 

I dont really pay attention to what is going on each particular day other than I tend to lift 5 to 6 days a week, and won't lift hard on a muscle group if it's still sore. Don't log weights or reps either. Just go until tired. 

Hilariously enough this counterintuitive approach is not only more fun, but also is getting me stronger. My bench, squat, and press singles are up. Jerk from rack too. Clean is the only major lift I haven't tested yet but it's up from what i used to do this time last year. Go figure. 

I'd recommend this to anyone whose become complacent or bored in the gym and likes generally strength training. I'm sure after a while I'll want to revert back to something more structured but this is working for now and has caused me to feel newly enthusiastic about lifting. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, joeypots said:

Wow, that's impressive. 100m/week is a lot for me.

100m? Easy! I walk more than 100 meters before I even get to my car to go to work in the morning!! :P

• Haha 1

Lately I’ve been trying to see if I can fitness pair of pants…I need to get my ish together!  Thanks for reviving the thread for some motivation!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Fuzz said:

100m? Easy! I walk more than 100 meters before I even get to my car to go to work in the morning!! :P

Like I said, Fuzz. Ya gotta do something.

Here is my fitness routine:
Three days a week (T-Th-Su), hour and a half.

Fifty minutes lifting weights - bench press (150), squat (430), bicep curls (70), military press (100), lat pulldown (130)
Thirty minutes running - anywhere from a mile and a half to three miles
Twenty minutes - situps (20 @ 5 seconds, R, L, C hold for 40 seconds each), pushups (20)

I am eager to lose weight, so this is a good article to read https://betterme.world/articles/how-many-pounds-to-lose-an-inch/ as you can fin many useful tips there

Weightlifting has always resonated more for me over the last 40 years.

There are undeniable benefits of resistance training as you age...bone density, ligament flexibility and joint mobility

Routine has progressively changed from isolation to compound movements. Less stress on the joints.

It is now 5x5 strong = which consists of compound movements: (alternating)

Workout 1

Squats (calf raises as supplemental)

Bench press

Bend over rows ( shrugs as supplemental)

Workout 2

Squats

Overhead press

Deadlift

2-3 times a week. Progressive overload if an exercise can be completed 5x (5x5) increase weight

During the winter months - walking outdoors between weightlifting workouts. 5-7 kms

When it warms up - walking is substituted for cycling 20-30kms

As @Fosgate intimated - getting it done without the concerns associated with a gym - were the primary motivation to invest in weights, power rack, barbells etc. 

• Like 1

I can highly recommend not doing supported (wall) handstands at 57. :rolleyes:

Left shoulder collapsed. It looked like the demolition of a 10 storey building. 

Rehab.....a few months :cofcig:

• Sad 4

1 hour ago, El Presidente said:

I can highly recommend not doing supported (wall) handstands at 57. :rolleyes:

Left shoulder collapsed. It looked like the demolition of a 10 storey building. 

Rehab.....a few months :cofcig:

Ahh, really sorry about that. I’m 47 and definitely trying to do too much (climbing). At our age we get injured a LOT more easily, and it takes us a LOT longer to recover. Best of luck with everything.

Pretty much no one who really enjoys exercise takes their own advice to be sensible… until they get hurt.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I’ve actually only started to lose my extra weight. Now I’m full of motivation. My morning starts with a glass of water on an empty stomach. Then I go for a morning run. After that, I usually take a cold shower, and then I have my breakfast. I’ve reduced sugar consumption. I also don’t eat any bread. Btw, I go to the gym 3 times a week. Such a schedule lets me have a proper rest. Btw, my morning usually starts with weighting on https://www.vont.com/product/smart-scale-bathroom-scale-weight-scale/ so my every evening ends with it. These weights track my results and send them to the app. Seeing the result is actually the best motivation I can get.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, FelixGreeo said:

I’ve actually only started to lose my extra weight. Now I’m full of motivation. My morning starts with a glass of water on an empty stomach.

Very good for you to drink full glass of water first thing.  Not the best for kidneys to get coffee as the first sip in the morning.  Keep up the good work!