Simple Question: what is your go to whisky?

mbflash80

Im not asking about guilty pleasures or special occasions...just wondering what bottle everyone considers thier "tried and true"? For me it would be Laphroaig Lore...i love the scent of the sea...it brings me back to being a kid eating raw clams with my Italian family...everytime i pour a glass its like a transport back in time...whats yours?

For the past few years it's been Aberlour A'bunadh, but it's a guilty pleasure as I don't have it more often than 3 or 4 times a year. Yet I really savour it when I do!

ablob.non27.thumb.jpg.2651020acecb63776901a93755002290.jpg

• Like 4

Today....

Copperworks single malt whiskey out of Seattle. Distillery direct orders. They do slightly different iterations for every release. I.e. different oaks, finishes, single barrel, single field barley, etc.. release 017 is finished in Amoro casks. So they are almost one-offs which makes it unique. 

https://store.copperworksdistilling.com/collections/spirits/products/copperworks-american-single-malt-whiskey-release-021-750ml

as far as mass production whiskey, no doubt George Dickel No.12 

a sub <$20 damn fine Tennessee Whiskey. Double distilled, cold  charcoal filtered, finished in American Oak. 92 proof? so good heat for a rock or 2...

ive toured the distillery a few times and they are the real deal. Worth a try 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, CampDelta369 said:

Today....

Copperworks single malt whiskey out of Seattle. Distillery direct orders. They do slightly different iterations for every release. I.e. different oaks, finishes, single barrel, single field barley, etc.. release 017 is finished in Amoro casks. So they are almost one-offs which makes it unique. 

https://store.copperworksdistilling.com/collections/spirits/products/copperworks-american-single-malt-whiskey-release-021-750ml

a sub <$20 damn fine Tennessee Whiskey. Double distilled, cold  charcoal filtered, finished in American Oak. 92 proof? so good heat for a rock or 2...

Exactly, George D. finally getting some love. Twelve or fifteen years ago I started making the rounds with the Japanese whiskies, Pappy et al., and the defunct single malts that are all worth big money now.....and it’s George Dickel No. 12 I reach for these days. A lot of those other beverages were great, but to me they aren’t worth the chase and the cost.

1 minute ago, bpm32 said:

Exactly, George D. finally getting some love. Twelve or fifteen years ago I started making the rounds with the Japanese whiskies, Pappy et al., and the defunct single malts that are all worth big money now.....and it’s George Dickel No. 12 I reach for these days. A lot of those other beverages were great, but to me they aren’t worth the chase and the cost.

Damn brother. Same story. I was into single malts. All delicious, and expensive. Some years Macallan 12 was not even available?!  I still chuckle when I find a bottle of no.12 with shelf dust on it at some obscure package store. It’s like I’m stealing something. As a side note it’s very clean Whiskey due to the charcoal filtering and double distilling. People want what is Unobtanium or unaffordable. A $20 Whiskey can’t be taken serious, right?   

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, CampDelta369 said:

Agreed. I always have a bottle in my bar.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FatherOfPugs said:

Right now, my go to is Eagle Rare. Never a let down.

My "go-to" as well. 

Up until about a year ago it was Templeton Rye but Eagle Rare has replaced it now.

• Like 2

I just posted it, but I'll do it again. Laphroaig 10. You know that stubborn old guy that refuses to listen to reason, doesn't try anything new, and just likes his cheap whiskey. I envy that guy. He found what he likes, what he can afford and is happy with it always. I found my happy place in whiskey, and it is with the highly peated $35 bottle of laphroaig 10.

I wish I could find my happy place with cigars, but I just cant. Maybe one day I'll find my inner old stubborn man for smokes. But I like variety in vitola and flavor too much.

20190607_200011.jpg.f14a21d200dbeb98a4fa600d1a83885d.thumb.jpg.a8e68ab84d55d74d96bc634b37cdbe7f.jpg

• Like 2

Lagav 16, Laphroaig 10, and Ardbeg 10 are always around in my house.

***** Coffey Malt for the wife.

• Like 2

On 6/7/2019 at 7:21 PM, CampDelta369 said:

Damn brother. Same story. I was into single malts. All delicious, and expensive. Some years Macallan 12 was not even available?!  I still chuckle when I find a bottle of no.12 with shelf dust on it at some obscure package store. It’s like I’m stealing something. As a side note it’s very clean Whiskey due to the charcoal filtering and double distilling. People want what is Unobtanium or unaffordable. A $20 Whiskey can’t be taken serious, right?   

Weirdly enough, right after this came up here I inherited this George Dickel Powderhorn from the 1960s. Apparently the bottle is popular with Star Trek fans because it appeared as “Saurian brandy” in the Original Series.

46C75C67-8C76-4C49-A75F-ED6DA9862AD5.jpeg

D7EABBDA-A005-495C-98C9-F5A2CC149867.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I grew up just down the street from where they make Canadian Club and if the local boys want to get all smashed up we drink CC 100% Rye. (Canadians drink a lot of rye) BUT that being said, my go too sipper, is Ardbeg Uigeadail (WEE-ged-all)

• 3 weeks later...