Is the Upmann 'Sir Winston' Underdressed?

Now unless i'm doing reviews, I'm a band straight off (after lighting), kind of smoker,  I don't know why, they just sort of irritate me. That said I'm a fan of the them when they're classy and well designed, and they do make a box of cigars 'pop' when done nicely i.e PLPC, RA Extra etc etc

In a current climate where HSA seems to be marketing towards 10yr olds with all sorts of new triple bands, foot bands etc......It struck me how under dressed Sir Winston's look.  Not in a million years I'm I advocating second bans or foot bands ect,  but it would be nice to have something add that little air of distinction for what is the top fo the Upmann tree.  

I really love the old "finest selected tobacco' ring that used to be on some rare boxes of Sir Winston......who'd like to see them back?

lot134-2.jpg

• Like 2

I've always thought they should use the old SW band design or something with a little more flair. The flagship cigar should have the best band in the lineup and not the same band as the cheapest cigar in their lineup.

Several bands could use a sprucing up. I love the color from the LGC Gloriosos band. Should be standard. 

la-gloria-cubana-gloriosos-jpg?width=400

I also like the PL variation for UK regionals: 

por-larranaga-magnificos-jpg?width=400

I also wouldn't mind seeing the alternate Hoyo band which I've always loved (which was used for Churchills also) used for some special production:

hoyo-de-monterrey-standard-band-a---for-

And I think the new LFDC band used on the Casanovas is great. Very classy and looks pre-Rev:

la-flor-de-cano-casanova-jpg?width=330

• Thanks 1

I think now it's too much.

Sir Winston is a famous cigar, which I think will be recognized even without a bands. I don’t like all these “luxury” labels and stickers. Classic needs to be strict, fewer letters.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, nKostyan said:

Sir Winston is a famous cigar

I agree, and whilst I would not want to 'bling them up',  It would be nice to differentiate them from the bottom of the line.  

I wouldn't mind them bandless either,  but maybe with a wrap over yellow ribbon like old Partagas Seleccion Privada.  Just a little something to give them a tip of the hat to say...........these are special cigars. 

144_MAT5687.jpg

• Like 1

• JohnS changed the title to Is the Upmann 'Sir Winston' Underdressed?
12 minutes ago, SirVantes said:

They come in the classiest box for any normal production cigar, that's well dressed enough for me.

I agree lovely box,   it was sort of more pointed towards saying that I think the regular line bands seems out of step with the rest of the packaging. 

Like @nKostyan   said, I would almost prefer them to have no band.      I cant quite describe why,  I just think they look out of place

They come in the classiest box for any normal production cigar, that's well dressed enough for me.

You hit it on the head.
  • Like 1

Couldn’t agree more with no bands and a varnished box. I may get flack for this but I think Cohiba bands are excessive. The box with no bands would be great it’s about the smoke and how it tastes not how a cigar looks. 

8 hours ago, IanMcLean68 said:

I must be old school too. I would like to see Sir Winston come in band-less 50 count cabs with the same classy varnished box design, tied with a simple yellow ribbon.

Given the rampant counterfeiting theses days, making packaging simpler only makes it easier for them. That's why bands are getting fancier too. Though a 50 cab of Sir Winnie would be awesome. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 99call said:

I agree, and whilst I would not want to 'bling them up',  It would be nice to differentiate them from the bottom of the line.  

I wouldn't mind them bandless either,  but maybe with a wrap over yellow ribbon like old Partagas Seleccion Privada.  Just a little something to give them a tip of the hat to say...........these are special cigars. 

How could anyone mistake a SW from another Upmann (as much as I wish they'd bring back Monarchs)?  For Upmann as a marca, I liked the plain brown band better.  Looks a cheap as can be, but that's fine by me.  Not much for the gild, the only benefit is they can be easier to take off.  I always take off the 2nd band and usually take off the first before smoking.  Depends how willing the band is on coming off without a hassle...

I admittedly get dazzled by the bands a bit.  Connie As and Bs are damn fine sticks and the big, over the top bands kind of suit the occasion. And with the amount of fake Cohiba there are, some brands need all those built in holograms like new money has, but I just cracked into a 2016 box of Sancho Panza non plus and man I love how simple that band is. Classic stuff. 

On 6/12/2019 at 8:34 AM, nKostyan said:

I think now it's too much.

Sir Winston is a famous cigar, which I think will be recognized even without a bands. I don’t like all these “luxury” labels and stickers. Classic needs to be strict, fewer letters.

THIS

20 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

How could anyone mistake a SW from another Upmann (as much as I wish they'd bring back Monarchs)?  For Upmann as a marca, I liked the plain brown band better.  Looks a cheap as can be, but that's fine by me.  Not much for the gild, the only benefit is they can be easier to take off.  I always take off the 2nd band and usually take off the first before smoking.  Depends how willing the band is on coming off without a hassle...

Sorry you may of got the wrong end of what I was saying.  I wasn't suggesting there is some chance of mistaking what they were, one more importantly that who would care anyway.  My focus wasn't to cater for the kind of person why turns up at smoking lounges, and wants people to notice what they're smoking.      It was just to say I think the standard band on them seems like a lost opportunity,   whether to have them bandless, or in the old bands etc.     The standard line bands just doesn't sit right with me........but I know many couldn't care less.

On 6/11/2019 at 11:06 PM, NSXCIGAR said:

I've always thought they should use the old SW band design or something with a little more flair. The flagship cigar should have the best band in the lineup and not the same band as the cheapest cigar in their lineup.

Several bands could use a sprucing up. I love the color from the LGC Gloriosos band. Should be standard. 

la-gloria-cubana-gloriosos-jpg?width=400

I also like the PL variation for UK regionals: 

por-larranaga-magnificos-jpg?width=400

I also wouldn't mind seeing the alternate Hoyo band which I've always loved (which was used for Churchills also) used for some special production:

hoyo-de-monterrey-standard-band-a---for-

And I think the new LFDC band used on the Casanovas is great. Very classy and looks pre-Rev:

la-flor-de-cano-casanova-jpg?width=330

Though I completely agree about the LGC and HDM bands, I'd happily just settle for a reintroduction of HDM churchills and LGC tainos ?

On 6/18/2019 at 1:17 PM, cfc1016 said:

Though I completely agree about the LGC and HDM bands, I'd happily just settle for a reintroduction of HDM churchills and LGC tainos ?

Me too. I guess we got a little gift with the ERDM Tainos ER. Would like to see some more discontinued models revived as ERs.

• Like 1