Question are there any cuban cigar brands that are made that don't need aging .I mean you go to cigar shop buy the box with this year's date on it and smoke away. Perfect taste. 

Aging is a myth. A convenient story so that you won’t get instant buyers remorse from buying a subpar cigar and immediately confront your local divan, lounge or retailer.

Kidding. Kidding.

H Upmann Connossieur B is amazing from the get go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

If you are Cuba, all the brands are good to smoke right away.    I like fresh boxed Habanos.  The punchy kick is a nice change of pace and harder to get than aged cigars.  They're only fresh once...

• Like 2

Any new purchase I would put in your humi for a few weeks-month. I think RH a lot to do with flavour. I’m not an expert and only have been in the lifestyle for less than a year but I notice the flavours open up if you put a hygrometer in your dry box and smoke when your sticks hit 62-65 RH. 

• Like 3

I’ll let you in on a little secret....whoever smokes the most cigars wins?

Cuban cigars are great...young or old.

I’m old enough to remember when a cigar was just a cigar, not a financial religious experience. For the first 30+ years I just bought and smoked, my pocketbook wouldn’t let me go deep on cigars.....and I enjoyed every minute. If you want, save a few from each box and start your own Anejados program. Rob and Ken usually review current release cigars and they seem to enjoy them quite a bit.

A lit cigar in your hand is better than a aging cigar in your humidor.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, HumidorJuan said:

Any new purchase I would put in your humi for a few weeks-month. I think RH a lot to do with flavour. I’m not an expert and only have been in the lifestyle for less than a year but I notice the flavours open up if you put a hygrometer in your dry box and smoke when your sticks hit 62-65 RH. 

I have to agree with the RH and flavor big time! Too much and they are harsh and burn wonky. However when I buy PSP I need to let them sit for a good 18 months from the box date otherwise they can be a bit “mongrel-like”. HQ....not so much. But either way, they just get smoother with time. 

• Like 2

I want to believe that aging is fake science like climate change, the dinosaurs, the moon landing, and the planet not being 7,000 years old, but more often than not a ROTT or a few weeks removed from delivery Cuban just hasn't sat right. Harshness, ammonia, burn issues. It's forced me to be more patient and really just smoke one new out of a box and start trying them months apart until I hit a sweet spot. I really wish I got into Cubans back when thinner ring gauges were the thing because I could see those being ready quicker, and with far less harshness. 

Anyway, I'm off to the boat for a bit...unless I fall off the edge of the flat Earth. Pssh. Science. Yah right.

• Haha 3

I like both, young and aged, but mostly prefer aged for most cigars; Because I like how they smoke. A good cigar is a good cigar regardless. Recently smoked several young cigars: hoyo  de Monterey dc, Ramon allones gigantes, and Cohiba esplendidos all under 1 year. My favorites are these JLP brevas from 2014.

On 6/13/2019 at 8:14 PM, rcarlson said:

Aging is overrated.  

I really don’t find that true for myself. I’ve seen the aging change the flavor and body on practically everything I ever put away. Now I am talking 3-5 years, not 7-10 or 15 years, life is too short! ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jal154 said:

I really don’t find that true for myself. I’ve seen the aging change the flavor and body on practically everything I ever put away. Now I am talking 3-5 years, not 7-10 or 15 years, life is too short! ?

Well, I'm trolling a little.  But in the 5 plus I've had more go flat than improve.  Change and develop and open up and refine yadda yadda yadda.  Sure.  But "really improve?"  More often than not, good sticks lose as much or more than they gain for me.   

Don't get me wrong, I have had some terrific "aged" (5-25).  But I've found that 6 months to 3 years is the peak in virtually all categories for me.  I've waited too long too many times and regretted it. 

Of course, I prefer to consume rather than collect.  I don't enjoy sitting on boxes for a decade just to have and admire them, so the payoff would have to be worth it.  It rarely is.  So I don't.    

• Like 3

9 hours ago, rcarlson said:

Well, I'm trolling a little.  But in the 5 plus I've had more go flat than improve.  Change and develop and open up and refine yadda yadda yadda.  Sure.  But "really improve?"  More often than not, good sticks lose as much or more than they gain for me.   

Don't get me wrong, I have had some terrific "aged" (5-25).  But I've found that 6 months to 3 years is the peak in virtually all categories for me.  I've waited too long too many times and regretted it. 

Of course, I prefer to consume rather than collect.  I don't enjoy sitting on boxes for a decade just to have and admire them, so the payoff would have to be worth it.  It rarely is.  So I don't.    

I think it’s just a matter of personal taste of flavor and body. But 25 years is crazy, even 10 years is crazy! ???

• Like 1

On 6/14/2019 at 1:28 AM, SmokyFontaine said:

I want to believe that aging is fake science like climate change, the dinosaurs, the moon landing, and the planet not being 7,000 years old, but more often than not a ROTT or a few weeks removed from delivery Cuban just hasn't sat right. Harshness, ammonia, burn issues. It's forced me to be more patient and really just smoke one new out of a box and start trying them months apart until I hit a sweet spot. I really wish I got into Cubans back when thinner ring gauges were the thing because I could see those being ready quicker, and with far less harshness. 

Anyway, I'm off to the boat for a bit...unless I fall off the edge of the flat Earth. Pssh. Science. Yah right.

In one of the older Simpsons episodes, the townsfolks form a mob and go on destroying fossils and other science related item. Then Moe get crushed by a mammoth or dinosaur bone (can’t recall) he was bashing. He then says ‘I hope science can cure me’

classic ?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jal154 said:

I think it’s just a matter of personal taste of flavor and body. But 25 years is crazy, even 10 years is crazy! ???

When you have way more cigars than you smoke, 10 year old cigars in your humi is too easy to find.

I have a tendency to chuck singles from old boxes into the one 30L tupperdor. I must have at least 100 cigars in there that are 8+ yrs old. I just keep forgetting about them, as they are under other boxes.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Fuzz said:

When you have way more cigars than you smoke, 10 year old cigars in your humi is too easy to find.

I have a tendency to chuck singles from old boxes into the one 30L tupperdor. I must have at least 100 cigars in there that are 8+ yrs old. I just keep forgetting about them, as they are under other boxes.

That’s a great idea to do when I have a couple of cigars left in the box! ???

To my palate aged cigars become exceptionally smooth and silky where young cigars have a bit of a roughness and power to their flavor/texture.

I wouldn't necessarily say aged cigars turn flat but it is rather a different experience overall.  The beauty of our hobby is we usually have access to both depending on our mood!

I compare this a lot to drinking the same wine but different vintages.  You can really tell a difference when you taste them side by side!

I just tasted a 2014 and 2016 Cabernet Franc from a small vintner.  The 2016 was very lean and light on the palate where the 2014 was a full body well rounded flavor.  The taste was almost as if I was drinking a completely different wine!  However at the end of the tasting I thought to myself that one isn't necessarily better than the other but made for different occasions. I'll drink the 2016 now and the 2014 will age wonderfully in my wine cooler.

On 6/12/2019 at 10:01 PM, Brian okiec said:

Question are there any cuban cigar brands that are made that don't need aging .I mean you go to cigar shop buy the box with this year's date on it and smoke away. Perfect taste. 

For me, Cohiba Secretos, and RyJ Petit Royales, have been excellent with less than 12 months on them.