Hoyo Epicure Especial

Has anyone tried this cigar at least several times?  Curious if my experience was typical.  The draw and burn were phenomenal.  Perfection.  The taste and overall experience though was pretty flat.  It was smooth and in my opinion on the lighter side of medium.  The flavor just didn't really leave me with a "definitely need to try these again" experience.  It's one of the cigars I felt that if I ever ran in to it again and didn't have other options, I'd smoke it.  Just not something I'd actively seek out again.

Thoughts?  

Have had many excellent examples over the years of this cigar.  Our company does a fair amount of client events where cigars are front and center and this has been our "go to" cigar for many years now...its priced very fairly for what it is and has been very consistent...sure you always run into a dud here and there but for the most part it has been solid.

• Like 2

Very nice cigar even when young. 2013's were the best I have ever smoked both fresh and throughout the years. Right now they are near perfect cigars for me. Prefer them from La Corona. 

• Like 1

The Especial and the Epicure 2 take turns being better than each other from all the ones I have had of each. I think this is one that smokes better young. Any epicure 2 I have had with more age just became more bland.

I think this whole aged cigar thing is kind of silly depending on which cigar you're talking about.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Having a bland experience with 2018 right now.  Woodsy but mild.  Not finding any unique nuances of any honey, spice, cocoa that I was expecting. In first third so there’s time but so far very mild and uninteresting.  Reminds me of many NCs I’ve had over the years.  

Hopped on the search to see if anyone had a similar experience and found this thread. I’ll report back if opinion changes. 

My first purchases of CC's  I split a box of Monte 2's and H. Upmann Connoisseur No.1 purchased from our hosts with my friend.   I also purchased a box of 10 Hoyo de Monterrey Epicure Especial from another vendor.   All three boxes were excellent quality.   The Monte 2's and Connie 1's had very good flavors to them.  The Epicure Especial burned really well and is mild to medium.   The first one I had was only 1 week from receiving them and didn't seem to be as flat.  But since then I have smoked 2 more one just last weekend.   And while they burn very even and have a good draw they do seem to be fairly flat I just get a light tobacco/wood flavor from it.    On the other hand one of the best early experiences of CC was the from the Connie 1 huge shortbread flavor with some almonds and coffee.

I've had many HdM EE's and I recommend just putting them away for a while.  I've had the same experience and found that more often than not they developed quite a bit with time.  Creamy as hell when they hit their stride, but flavourless and flat until that point.  Give them another 6 months to 1yr and try again.  Don't write them off just yet. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rcarlson said:

I've had many HdM EE's and I recommend just putting them away for a while.  I've had the same experience and found that more often than not they developed quite a bit with time.  Creamy as hell when they hit their stride, but flavourless and flat until that point.  Give them another 6 months to 1yr and try again.  Don't write them off just yet. 

Haha I need to strategize how I up my patience and planning in order to stash enough cigars that I don't constantly smoke them in under a year of sitting.  

I just bought a new round of Cohibas.  First one will be smoked approximately 75 days from receipt, because I'm going somewhere and want a Cohiba on the beach.  It's a struggle.  

33 minutes ago, RyviaUSA said:

Haha I need to strategize how I up my patience and planning in order to stash enough cigars that I don't constantly smoke them in under a year of sitting.  

I just bought a new round of Cohibas.  First one will be smoked approximately 75 days from receipt, because I'm going somewhere and want a Cohiba on the beach.  It's a struggle.  

No point in smoking 'em if they suck.  ?

Hmmm, this is one of the only HDM I really like. I brought back a box of 2013’s from Europe....thinking I need to crack them open now.

Anyone smoked one from the LGR JUL 18 code? Have a box of those acclimatizing that I plan to dip into next month.