Burgundy

FatPete

Hi everyone,

I will be spending a couple of days in the burgundy region in France in a couple of weeks and was looking for recommendations for the trip. I’d like to go to a vineyard and sample some wine, and bring a few bottles home. Would anyone know the best ones to go to, that won’t break the bank? Thanks Pete

burgundy, or at least the better estates, tend to be invite only or previously arranged.

if you have a good local retailer who knows you, try talking to them. they might have contacts or be able to make recommendations from their buying. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

burgundy, or at least the better estates, tend to be invite only or previously arranged.

if you have a good local retailer who knows you, try talking to them. they might have contacts or be able to make recommendations from their buying. 

Thanks Ken. I'm afraid I no longer have a local wine merchant due to repeated moves around the country. I did have one 20 years ago in Edinburgh, but nowadays I buy relatively good wines from the supermarket. I'm looking to reconnect with the better wines now. Could you recommend any bottles off the shelf I should buy in Beaune? Thanks 

Burgundy is a spiders web of wine that is impossible to navigate to the novice.

1. There are no good burgundies that will not break the bank (unless you’re quite used to and okay with +75 USD wines)

2. None of the top estates have open doors and only accepts by invitation only. But what the heck, you’d never buy their wines anyway due to 1.

3. Rent/borrow a bike and do your own tour. See the famous vineyards - selfie yourself in them . Go into some of the open vineyards and do a couple of tastings - one or two days like that is a lot of fun. And don’t worry that you didn’t get to taste La Tache and all the other DRC wines. Who cares, there’s so much fantastic wines elsewhere to be found

Have a good trip and enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Yeah it looks like Grand Crus are out of the question lol ?

I will just play it by ear and pop in for tastings in the smaller wineries on the way. Should be great fun as I have a chauffeur (the girlfriend) ??. The food in the area is meant to be very good too-must live up to my handle you see. 

I'd look to join a day tour or something like that.  They'll have a better "in" to the vineyards.  You could start the first night at a local restaurant known to serve neat stuff by the glass.  Get some ideas from them and then make a move.  Many vineyards need an introduction before showing up.  Which regions of Burgundy do you like the most?  

You could call the distributor or importer for some Burgundies that do you like and ask them to arrange for a visit.  

• Thanks 1

the day tour is a great idea. but down here in oz, i have no idea which to recommend. 

ditto burgs on the shelves. no idea what they would even have at the moment. been a couple of years since i was there.

and certainly agree that the top ones are now insane prices, but i don't agree about not caring. la tache and the other DRC wines are truly stupendous and while there are plenty of other brilliant wines, sadly most of them now also at huge prices, these are wines that anyone seriously interested should try if they can. granted that these days, one gets to drink them only at special tastings or thanks to the generosity of welathy friends. wine just does not get better. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

Which regions of Burgundy do you like the most?  

I like Gevrey-Chambertin especially the ones made by Joseph Drouhin , so I'll be hopefully able to pick up a few bottles cheaper there than the UK.  And discover hidden gems during the day tour, great idea @BrightonCorgi

I am also partial to a nice Fleurie, so instead of 2 days in burgundy, I've decided I'll do one in Beaujolais country. 

Cant wait!

2 hours ago, FatPete said:

I like Gevrey-Chambertin especially the ones made by Joseph Drouhin , so I'll be hopefully able to pick up a few bottles cheaper there than the UK.  And discover hidden gems during the day tour, great idea @BrightonCorgi

I am also partial to a nice Fleurie, so instead of 2 days in burgundy, I've decided I'll do one in Beaujolais country. 

Cant wait!

I bet you'll find some incredible Cru level Beaujolais there.  That's something terrific and affordable.  I like pretty much all Burgundy; red or white.