Getting NC + CC to play nicely together

So since joining this place, as you all told me, my ratio of CC to NC now skews heavily towards CC (70% CC now -- used to be 50%).  What are your tactics in keeping your NC collection happy?  I've since decided that 62%RH is where I like my CC collection to be (at least in the summer time) which maybe seems a bit too dry for NC.  I don't want to maintain a ton of humidors (and then there is the question of what to do when longer term traveling with CC and NC and traveladors), so are you guys just letting your NC do their thing or possibly having a tupperware in your wineador just for NC with 69%RH packs?

My main setup is a Whynter 251, almost entirely box storage at this point.  I'm totally fine being blasted with "STOP OVER THINKING IT" too.

I have a humidor for CC and one for NC. I don;t travel for more than about 2 weeks at a time so no worries about not keeping them at an ideal RH, not nearly enough time to cause any problems. Cigars are a lot hardier than people realise so short travelling like this has never had any effect when putting them all in one place.

I just split the difference and keep my humidor at about 65%, then make it a point to drybox for at least a couple of days for any CC. I used to be fairly skeptical of dryboxing, but I converted an old sampler box with two 62% Bovedas in it, burn issues are faaaaar less common. I'd rather err on slightly dry and smoke-able vs slightly wet, and a smoldering turd.

I too found that my CC like 62%, which is too dry for NC.  So all of my NC were relegated to a large tupperware with a bunch of 65% boveda, and it sits in the garage with no regard for temp or anything else.  I do enjoy digging through it every so often and pulling out an old favorite, or something I never got around to trying.  They always smoke fine.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SmokyFontaine said:

I just split the difference and keep my humidor at about 65%, then make it a point to drybox for at least a couple of days for any CC. I used to be fairly skeptical of dryboxing, but I converted an old sampler box with two 62% Bovedas in it, burn issues are faaaaar less common. I'd rather err on slightly dry and smoke-able vs slightly wet, and a smoldering turd.

Yup, I used to dry box too and it seemed to make burning more consistent with varying degrees of success.  I've got a newborn so smoking has been much more sporadic, thus, I don't really think far enough ahead for dry boxing and mostly need something ready to go.  I suppose I could have a humidor just for whatever I think I'm going to smoke for the week, but again, I'm generally much more spur of the moment with when I smoke and what I smoke (largely dependent on how much time I have to suck one down).

48 minutes ago, Hollywood Ninja said:

Yup, I used to dry box too and it seemed to make burning more consistent with varying degrees of success.  I've got a newborn so smoking has been much more sporadic, thus, I don't really think far enough ahead for dry boxing and mostly need something ready to go.  I suppose I could have a humidor just for whatever I think I'm going to smoke for the week, but again, I'm generally much more spur of the moment with when I smoke and what I smoke (largely dependent on how much time I have to suck one down).

There are people here far more experienced and smarter than myself, but I've heard them mention that even El Pres has been known to drybox weeks in advance of smoking. Some might even argue that if you're keeping a small box at 62%, you're not really dryboxing to begin with, so keeping them at that rH for years would be acceptable. I'd say grab 2-3, leave them in a lower humidity box, and if you get around to them in a day, great. A week? Sure. A month...OK, to me that's going long, but experiment. I try to take people's suggestions in, try them out, and settle on what works best for me. They're my damn sticks afterall! :P

Congrats on the baby! So much fun!!

7 hours ago, SmokyFontaine said:

Congrats on the baby! So much fun!!

Thanks!  This is our first and I just turned 40, so it's been an adventure for sure.  Lets just say I've been heavily stocking up on Minutos lately!

• Like 1