Cuban government has forfeited trademark rights as a result of the 55-year embargo.

On 7/2/2019 at 10:20 PM, Ken Gargett said:

to suggest that no one outside Champagne is trying to create a better sparkling wine is absolutely not correct and i am sure that all those who have spent literally 100s of millions around the globe trying to do just that might also disagree. there is, despite immense efforts to do so, no indication that anyone has found a more suitable region.

That may very well be true. I do agree that Champagne has and still does produce the world's best sparkling wine. Perhaps this will remain as an example of true terroir superiority.

i'd argue that no lover of pinot noir, as an example, would seriously suggest that, while agreeing that there are many truly brilliant examples from nz, australia, the states etc, anywhere else has knocked burgundy off its perch. 

Again, this very well may be true but Burgundy specifically may be another rare example of true terroir superiority.

but do you get such massive and significant differences from plants that are just yards apart

I would suggest yes to a large degree. It's certain tobacco from the same fincas is used for many different cigar blends. Maybe not yards apart but certainly plots apart. Vuelta Abajo is relatively small yet consider all the different flavors and blends found in the various marcas. And keep in mind this was being done decades ago utilizing a single strain of Criollo and Corojo.

i would think we could agree that both are dependent on their respective terroirs but we might not agree on whether it is tobacco or grapes, at the very highest levels, which most depends on terroir. i'd would argue grapes. 

I'll concede that some grapes and wines do seem to be best in specific terroir. I'm curious if peaty whiskies, e.g. Isla, can be produced at high levels outside Scotland. This may be another example. But there are very few products that can't be developed outside of their famed regions with enough resources that match or even surpass them. Tobacco is certainly one of them that apparently cannot be.