What are you going deep on, now?

26 minutes ago, TBird55 said:

I don't believe that I would have said that...or maybe I would have....?

In my mind I was scuba diving. In reality I was sitting on my patio drinking rum. It all seemed to make perfect sense last night. :D

• Haha 1

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Every year I try to put 2 great boxes of D4s away, they are my staple and I like both fresh and aged... I guess after some patience I can say I've gone deep on them...but still would like more :)

At the stage in life, where kids gone, house paid for. Have worked hard and put away, time to enjoy.  Not a big drinker or golfer, but I do enjoy cigars. Still work hard.....but I enjoy what I do so i

Siglo VI. First of all, I love them,  Secondly, the way the prices have shot up in recent years, as well as the scarcity that seems to comes and go, I figure I should buy as many boxes as I can.

That’s an easy $30k right there - wow. But yeah, China is making it much harder to expatriate money so you got to invest in something...

I guess 30k is a drop in the bucket compared to big wine acquisitions.

...or houses in Vancouver, but that loophole has apparently been closed ;)
  • Like 2

I have gone deep as in 5 boxes or more on Bbf, short Churchills, JL2's, CoRo, HdM Epi 2, Monte 4 and PLPC. Everything else is one or two boxes. I like to buy something new every month to try.

Moving forwards I will be stocking up on Bolviar Royal Coronas, Monte Media Coronas, R&J Petit Royals, HUHC - getting short smokes in for winter. Then come December I plan to stock up on some double coronas for summer.

And I shall certainly be buying some more San Juan as they seem lovely.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2019 at 6:45 AM, HopeUgood said:

I hope you had the Perfect Draw to open up those Lusitanias ?

I do own a Perfect Draw. It did absolutely nothing for them.  The cigar is 2 to 3 inches longer than the tool.  The samples from this particular box or just too tightly rolled. No way around it except to throw them in the trash.

I have another box. Hopefully better. 

24 minutes ago, Chef said:

I do own a Perfect Draw. It did absolutely nothing for them.  The cigar is 2 to 3 inches longer than the tool.  The samples from this particular box or just too tightly rolled. No way around it except to throw them in the trash.

I have another box. Hopefully better. 

Have you tried the Rob trick, put one in the fridge a couple of hours before you smoke and see if that helps with the draw...

10 hours ago, Chef said:

The cigar is 2 to 3 inches longer than the tool.  

You can use it on both ends of the cigar, from what I hear. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/2/2019 at 2:02 PM, JLinz said:

I was about to post the same question!  ?

For me it's HDM Rio Seco first and foremost, then a smattering of HURR, Connie A/B, Mag 54, and QDO 50/54 (although these are becoming harder to find).

How’s the rio Seco, went in blind for a box of these for the first time without any research

1 hour ago, Cubasam said:

How’s the rio Seco, went in blind for a box of these for the first time without any research

I brought two boxes thinking they were san Juan... nice but the San Juan's are better

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cubasam said:

I'm far from an expert, but I think it has the makings of a classic given a little time to rest, coupled with the increasing popularity of large ring gauges.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ritch said:

I brought two boxes thinking they were san Juan... nice but the San Juan's are better

I guess I’ll be on the look out for San Juan’s, have you tried the des dieux?

11 hours ago, GavLew79 said:

You can use it on both ends of the cigar, from what I hear. 

Right, before lighting you can.  But even using it on both ends, you have to line it up.  And I don’t recommending poking a dozen holes in a cigar, no matter how plugged.  It will change the intended flavor taking out too much tobacco.  

21 hours ago, KavalanWhisky said:

Have you tried the Rob trick, put one in the fridge a couple of hours before you smoke and see if that helps with the draw...

I’ll have to try. 

18 hours ago, Cubasam said:

I guess I’ll be on the look out for San Juan’s, have you tried the des dieux?

No... not yet. I'm awaiting another box of RJ Petit Royals which are just a lovely fantastic short smoke and a box of Hoyo Petit Robustos.

I will be looking when funds permit to get another 8 boxes of Bolivar Royal Coronas and 6 boxes of Short Churchills. That's all my go to regular smokes topped up. After that it will be San Juan and Churchills, BBF's and some Partagas Anjeandos. Oh and some more Monte Media Coronas and Petit Royals.

And by that time it will the the new year and I will have to grab another 5 boxes of CoRo and start all again on my go to smokes... I'm trying to build up a fair few boxes of each every year

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/2/2019 at 4:16 PM, Cazador said:

Bought 4 boxes of RyJ Mille Fleurs. I’ll smoke them all eventually!

Im close to buying a box of these for just mess around cigars, what are they like? flavors/size?

7 hours ago, Ry27 said:

Im close to buying a box of these for just mess around cigars, what are they like? flavors/size?

Petit Corona. Flavours wise I found them a bit meh young - they were ok but nothing special. But with some age on them (~4 years) they blossomed. On the sweet end of RyJ not particularly complex but some of the cherry profile is there, sometimes floral as the name would suggest. They are not the greatest cigars but they are well worth the price to me. I think they are one of the most popular cigars in France (but I could be making that up...). Alongside the PLMC I think they are a bargain. 

For an inexpensive cigar, they’re pleasant and just short of medium-bodied. A little floral. I like them young and aged. Because they aren’t highly sought after, I often get aged boxes without trying. My last shipment were 2015’s.

Same old, same old: PLMC, RASS, Punch Punch and ERdM.  I go for the cigars that are generally consistent from year to year and easy to source.  Fortunately, that's where my palate landed.  As disgruntled as I am when the discontinuation was announced, I'm set on HUPC for several years (not including the last box, which probably won't be cracked for 20 years).

I'm going deep on better aged cigars. Finally I have enough to not have to smoke cigars that aren't quite ready because that's what I had.....hopefully?