WINNER & RESULT ANNOUNCED!! 50/50 FOH's Weekly Poll Comp: #13

50/50 Poll #13  

104 members have voted

1. 1. You've got the choice to immerse yourself, any way you choose--live & work, holiday--for 6 months in the culture of Rome or Paris. For the first 3 months, you have to stay in the city. After that, you can day trip out but you have to return back to the city within 48hrs... which city do you choose?

This poll is closed to new votes

First Battle of the Destinations... and it's a big clash of the ol' romantic giants: Rome or Paris. You know the drill: read the question, vote on the poll, elaborate in the thread if you so desire. Voting participants go into the draw for an El Pres sampler! - Drawn next Wednesday (Aus local time). :spotlight:

Also, we'll be featuring more "Battles of" polls, so PM any you'd like to see: Bands, Artists, Cities, Cigars, Brands... and so on. :thumbsup:

5050-flagpole1.jpg

All about 50/50...

50/50 is a weekly poll where we find out whether or not some serious bones of contention questions can be finally be buried or will instead remain above ground as a fleshy 50/50 debate... you know, such weighty issues as these...

If given no other option:

are you a Cohiba or Monte person? 

do you prefer Hunnicutt or Trapper in M*A*S*H? 

Connery or Moore as Bond?

Apple or PC?

Smooth or Crunchy peanut butter? 

do you prefer wearing men's or women's underwear?

Sacrificing chickens or virgins?

...that sort of standard fare. 

Vote in the poll and further bolster your standpoint in the thread below if you wish. Poll Votes are public and there's a couple of sticks up for grabs for participants. :party:

Also, PM me Polls that you'd like me to conduct on 50/50 and there'll be a prize for those we decide to use. :thumbsup:

Definitely Rome.  Never been to either, but based solely in the fact that I'm a huge history nerd.  Paris has a fine history as well, but there something far more appealing for me with Rome.

• Like 1

Both have great food.  Both have great wine.  I'm going with Rome, though – my bride and I went there and all around Italy many years ago for our honeymoon.  It's nostalgia on this one.

This is a devilishly hard question because of the ingenious (insidious) way it's worded.

I picked Paris, but if it had been a lifetime - or even a year - would have taken Rome.  For excursion options give me Italy over France (though I'm not complaining either way).  But given that 50% of my stay required me to stay inside the city itself, I prefer Paris to Rome.  Of all the cities I visited in Italy I probably liked Rome the least (though again not complaining, and I think it's the sort of place whose charms would reveal themselves more over a long stay).

• Like 1

Too easy. Gotta be Rome.

For me, Italian food tops French food (must be the wog blood in me), and how can you compare coffees? Lovely, strong, and flavourful espresso, compared to the thin, muddy water they call "French Roast". And I love being surrounded by all the ancient architecture.

• Like 2

Day trip options are better from Rome but there is no comparison between the two cities proper. And if you let me exterminate 90% of the tourists in either city Paris would an even easier decision.

Rome was fun to visit once, no interest in ever returning. I would love to re-visit Paris. Food better, wine better, architecture better, neighborhood diversity better, natural beauty better.

• Like 1

Paris for me, only because I have been to Italy several times but have never been to France.

Now if I had to choose someplace to live permanently, it would be Switzerland.