Tomic & Kyrgios

Webbo

Not a massive fan of tennis but my old man loved it, he rated Rod Laver up with Ali as his favourite sportsmen. He would be seething to see this pair of whiny bitches embarrassing the sport. Honest question, what is wrong with them and how are they allowed to behave this way? Baffling.

I have a sneaking suspicion @Ken Gargett will weigh in on this. And probably not lightly!

I'm not a massive tennis fan either. Which is probably a good thing nowadays. That said, I don't mind admitting that I was a big fan of John McEnroe growing up. I'd definitely have a different take on his antics these days, but at least McEnroe had the goods and the runs on the board--one of the greatest talents ever. These guys seem to have a ridiculous sense of entitlement that is so utterly mismatched with their place in the tennis world (or any world) that it simply confounds comprehension. My god, they play sport for a living--an exceptionally well-off living!

It's puerile, abject behaviour. 

I miss the days of the Pat Rafters of Aussie tennis.  

Just now, MoeFOH said:

I have a sneaking suspicion @Ken Gargett will weigh in on this. And probably not lightly!

I'm not a massive tennis fan either. Which is probably a good thing nowadays. That said, I don't mind admitting that I was a big fan of John McEnroe growing up. I'd definitely have a different take on his antics these days, but at least McEnroe had the goods and the runs on the board--one of the greatest talents ever. These guys seem to have a ridiculous sense of entitlement that is so utterly mismatched with their place in the tennis world (or any world) that it simply confounds comprehension. My god, they play sport for a living--an exceptionally well-off living!

It's puerile, abject behaviour. 

I miss the days of the Pat Rafters of tennis.  

funny you say that. just two minutes ago, i was emailing friends in spain saying that i really hoped that they did not consider these two utter grubs anything representative of australia and how absolutely delighted i was that nadal beat that vile heap of steaming excrement. 

what a good wimbledon. tomic and kyrgios gone by round two. with luck, ash barty will win the womens. 

webbo, i know that it is always, in every generation, imperative that they believe the greatest of anything comes from that era (unless you have a bradman or ali) but for me, laver is still the greatest player of all. the bloke got not one but two grand slams. federer, nadal, mcenroe, borg, sampras, djokovic, connors - they do not have a single grand slam (as in winning the four in a year) between them. and remember that he had his peak seven years taken from him. the slams were either side of the ban. had he been allowed to play then (as with others), who knows what record he'd have. he also played in an era of many many great players. 

always interesting to me that when they talk the best ever, they are always put them up against laver. so mcenroe was better than laver they said, then sampras, then federer (who has to be the closest) and so on. it always comes back to laver. and a man who has always been nothing but an enormous credit to his country, his sport and himself. unlike tweedledee and dum. 

worth also mentioning that for all the adulation she insists upon, serena williams has never won the slam either. margaret court did. actually won six in a row. and also has a couple of slams in doubles. 

but i digress. 

woohoo and cheers to nadal for dumping the trash. 

10 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

woohoo and cheers to nadal for dumping the trash. 

I think the worst think about tanking, and when asked they both seem to state "ah well if I would only feel like trying, then I would be the best in the world"   utter utter garbage.   They both know they are second raters, and as such want to squirm some sort ill forged reverence.    I cant believe Nike still allow Tomic to wear this slogan. what a farce

Screenshot 2019-07-05 at 11.20.10.jpg

I was a U.S. junior who never amounted to anything but still had a couple wins over some really good amateurs. I grew up watching McEnroe acting like a jackass. But he brought it. I was too young for Laver. I still think Federer has the most beautiful game of my era....but I’m a one handed backhand so I might be biased. I don’t understand this nick kyrgios guy???? All the goods but playing with a major chip on his shoulder. What a waste of phenomenal talent. Maybe he had a really f—-d up childhood and can’t escape the pain?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Wookie said:

I was a U.S. junior who never amounted to anything but still had a couple wins over some really good amateurs. I grew up watching McEnroe acting like a jackass. But he brought it. I was too young for Laver. I still think Federer has the most beautiful game of my era....but I’m a one handed backhand so I might be biased. I don’t understand this nick kyrgios guy???? All the goods but playing with a major chip on his shoulder. What a waste of phenomenal talent. Maybe he had a really f—-d up childhood and can’t escape the pain?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i think one of our very own members knew/knows the family and, aside from the dipstick brother who is another tosser, has always spoken highly of them. even nick until the last few years. 

federer is wonderful to watch and you'd be happy with either him or laver as best ever i think. 

for backhands, if you had a chance to see rosewall, fabulous. 

• Like 1

On 7/5/2019 at 1:36 AM, Ken Gargett said:

always interesting to me that when they talk the best ever, they are always put them up against laver. so mcenroe was better than laver they said, then sampras, then federer

That's a really interesting point Ken, indeed he is still the yardstick by which all others are measured. For cricket one of the issues is that Bradman was so far in front of any other batsman before or since (and also so long ago) that people never compare other players to him as its pointless.