Rum?

BoliDan

A couple questions for our rum connoisseurs. I have always hated rum in favor of whisk(e)y and anejo tequila. I'd like to give it another shot and stop sticking my nose up.

Is spiced rum just to cover up how bad the rum is? I have had nothing but wretched experience with these. Avoid?

What is a good rum in the 40USD range to try. Havana Club is unfortunately not an option for me.

Obviously, it depends on your tastes. My go-to is Gosling's Black Seal. It definitely has a sense of molasses, but it's not really sweet. If you want over the top caramel / buttercsotch - Diplomatico Reserva,  Papa's Pilar Dark. Less over the top but on the sweet side - Zacapa. On the dry side, Barbancourt. All my opinion.

There are many rums made in many styles, and $40 buys some nice ones. Also, we have a few rum threads that are worth checking out.

Have fun!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BoliDan said:

A couple questions for our rum connoisseurs. I have always hated rum in favor of whisk(e)y and anejo tequila. I'd like to give it another shot and stop sticking my nose up.

Is spiced rum just to cover up how bad the rum is? I have had nothing but wretched experience with these. Avoid?

What is a good rum in the 40USD range to try. Havana Club is unfortunately not an option for me.

I'm not a spiced rum fan either. I'm sure there are some "good" ones out there, but all that I've sampled seem to fit in the category you described. 

How close to Denver are you? I have a couple different Havana Clubs and some Santiago 11 that I you could try along side some diplomaticos for comparison's sake. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Corylax18 said:

How close to Denver are you? I have a couple different Havana Clubs and some Santiago 11 that I you could try along side some diplomaticos for comparison's sake. 

I'll bring the single malts and rum!

• Like 1

Are you talking sipping rums or mixing rums?

Can't discuss sipping rums, but rum/diet coke is my daily go-to drink; otherwise known (except for the "diet" part) as a Cuba Libre.  Very popular on the island because the sweetness pairs so well with CC's.

My mixing go-to's are Appleton Estate Reserve Blend, Matusalem Gran Reserva, and Bambu.  All are under $40 is our local ABC stores.

4 hours ago, Corylax18 said:

I'm not a spiced rum fan either. I'm sure there are some "good" ones out there, but all that I've sampled seem to fit in the category you described. 

That's  mighty kind of you. Unfortunately, because of the baby and wife getting laid off, my cigar + drink time is rarely planned or longer than an hour. Its usually just enough time for me to get away a bbq. I'll let you know down the road, when it's a bit less bumpy.

On ‎7‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 8:10 PM, BoliDan said:

That's  mighty kind of you. Unfortunately, because of the baby and wife getting laid off, my cigar + drink time is rarely planned or longer than an hour. Its usually just enough time for me to get away a bbq. I'll let you know down the road, when it's a bit less bumpy.

Sounds good. There are some great guys on the forum from the Denver area. We should get together for a smoke and a few drinks in the next few months. I'll start putting some feelers out.