cost of attending sports

mate of mine is over in england a lot for work - about ten times a year (used to live there). is taking his son to the first day of the ashes at lords and the first fay at the oval. was staggered to find that the cost of two decent seats for lords was 440 pounds each (holy crap). and the oval a bit cheaper at 250 pounds each. (i managed to get a pair of life memberships to the Gabba way way back and the total price, for life, was $600. looks a bargain now.).

i remember in the final game of the NFL season a few years back, when dallas came to DC and RG3 needed to win to get us in the playoffs (he did) and the average price was something like US$700 a seat - granted some were much more exy than that and others much less, but still a serous whack of dosh. 

came across this - that is some serious dosh for a tennis match and not even the final. 

They’re two of the greatest players in the history of tennis, the stars of perhaps the finest match in the sport’s history.

When Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal meet Friday in the semi-finals of this year’s Wimbledon tournament, they’ll command a worldwide audience ... and some phenomenal ticket prices too.

Immediately after Federer and Nadal won their quarter-finals matches to set up yet another titanic showdown, ticket prices on Stubhub started — started — at about £7000, the equivalent of nearly $12,500(AU).

When sports betting expert Darren Rovell checked out the cost for a pair of tickets, he reported that people would have to pay US$15,643 - over $22,000 in Australia.

Why are tickets so expensive?

Both players are in the late sets of their careers, with Federer already possibly closing the door on returning to clay at the French Open.

That makes this matchup, one with both still relatively close to their primes, one of the last opportunities to see two legends face off ... and ticket prices are appropriately stratospheric.

For comparison purposes: this year’s Super Bowl featuring the Rams and Patriots had a get-in-the-door price of about US$3,500 the morning of the game.

Anecdotal reports put the cheapest tickets for the NBA Finals’ Game Six in Oakland at about $500, while the previous game in Raptors-mad Toronto was about $2000.

Other sports had similar steep costs, though not quite Wimbledon-level.

The Masters, where Tiger Woods won his 15th major earlier this year, ran from about $2000-$3000 each day.

I think one curve ball (with regards to seat prices) for Wimbledon, And big Basketball games in the US, is the value some preening people place on being in close proximity to movie/music stars, etc.    I would hazard a guess there are some people in the small intimate crowd that care not a jot about the action/sport, but are hoping to me sat next to Beyonce.........or at least their bodyguards.         Sad.....but I think true

• Like 1

Lots of people have lots of money simply stated. Corporations and business buy lots of tickets running prices sky high. Makes it tough for a real fan with normal means to attend much less with his/her family but such is life. The opportunity is available to all to make the money.
The good news is the best seat in the house is usually on ones couch with a nice smoke and beverage of choice. Many replays and angles to watch and can even rewind or tape as desired.
The prices have definitely gone too high for me back when the Chicago blackhawks had their run even for their 3rd cup tickets were 1000 standing room only... I only managed one game that year.
supply and demand 101 I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haven't been to a sports match in years. Won't change unless I'm travelling, which is rare. Better things to waste money on, plus I prefer playing the sport as opposed to watching.

That being said, I have no issue with anybody spending any amount if they get enjoyment out it. To each their own.

• Like 1

I go to 1-2 American Football games a year. Maybe 1 hockey game. Maybe 1 baseball game. If I'm in a good mood, you'd have to pay me a couple thousand $$$$$ to attend an NBA game (and cover all my expenses while there) unless I'm in a VIP Suite with top shelf liquor and food.

I loathe mass of humanity anything. I hate crowds. So I generally avoid too manly festivals, sports contests, concerts, etc.

Any yes, it is incredibly expensive for just me to attend a sporting event, I can't imagine for a family of 4.

Plus, you give me $100 to spend watching sports at home, I am getting a nice bottle of red wine, a gigantic prime steak and some Cuban cigars. My own bathroom. Watch at my own pace. The hell with going to the game.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, lovethehaze said:

Lots of people have lots of money simply stated. Corporations and business buy lots of tickets running prices sky high. Makes it tough for a real fan with normal means to attend much less with his/her family but such is life. The opportunity is available to all to make the money.
The good news is the best seat in the house is usually on ones couch with a nice smoke and beverage of choice. Many replays and angles to watch and can even rewind or tape as desired.
The prices have definitely gone too high for me back when the Chicago blackhawks had their run even for their 3rd cup tickets were 1000 standing room only... I only managed one game that year.
supply and demand 101 I guess.

Agreed. Much like business travelers that buy refundable flights last minute make up a disproportionate amount of airline revenue, corporate spending helps stadiums fill a lot of their revenue bucket. I am fortunate enough to have gone to some fantastic events - countless NBA finals games, all star games, PGA tournaments, 5 superbowls in a row in seats as good as the front row 45 yard line, Dodger world series games in our firm's box. The last superbowl that happened in New Orleans, I showed up for 3 minutes before leaving to go to eat dinner. I cannot understate how little I care to go to these events and I do not deserve to be at a single one of these events, especially considering I have also never paid for a sporting ticket in my life. I dislike spending time watching most sports let alone spending a dime of my own money to go somewhere I can't even have a cigar.  People usually can't hide their disappointment when they find out how little I care about sports and it has turned to outrage when they find out that me, an underappreciating guy is taking up valuable real estate at some game

It's how I feel about the same type of person who gets to go to Spa-Francorchamps or Silverstone. I am a huge F1 fan and I still haven't been to a race since most of them happen far from Los Angeles. But honestly, companies are happy to pay the price. If a company pays millions to advertise or partner with a stadium or league or team, they deserve a big chunk of complimentary tickets. Corporations need this access to entertain clients and frankly need the write off too.

• Like 1

We were here $270.00 or there abouts from row ,no good when it poops down ?

370213F7-7FBC-426C-9829-DB7D5ED79FA2.thumb.jpeg.d733a62a68b87c5b0eff26bb932a3701.jpeg

It is ridiculous, especially when when such a good time and view can be had by watching on the television with friends. My buddy drops 2 grand on broncos games every year. He likes to "be there: and around the energy of the crowd. Me, an introvert, prefers a small gathering with freedom to smoke cigars craft beer under $10 ea. And bbqing. I do go to games, but I have more fun at a pub or a get together at someone's place.

• Like 1

I am a die hard Blues fan. Was a once in a lifetime opportunity for me to get to a finals game and I happen to choose the first one in St. Louis game 3. I paid 775US. Ticket prices were higher before game 1 and 2 but came down a little and I took advantage of it.

I read somewhere that Blues cup finals tickets were the 2nd highest in all sports in the last 10 years, just below game 7 Cubs winning the World Series.

I was watching some of the raptors tickets and they were crazy. Some guy apparently paid 72K for one seat on the floor for game 1.

942e9d3629911c0b26906ed4fca0e79b.jpg