19 minutes ago, encephalization said:

One factor that hasn't been brought up when it comes to price differences is what they're paying their workers.. 😶

Personally, I prefer CCs over NCs in terms of flavor every day of the week. That is all that counts. Prices are secondary (or even tertiary at best). The few NCs I've bought over the past years have been more or less as a sign of good faith if I've been at a B&M.

also you have much better quality control and aging, dont get me wrong i love CC but i cant count all the times in FoH reviews they rag about getting a dud ... NC its extremely rare to get a plugged cigar or have burn issues with any of the major brands 

On 7/14/2019 at 6:49 PM, El Presidente said:

Cheers for that. 

I find it strange that people would grumble about a $25 Cohiba Siglo VI  let alone a $16 Connie B. A Juan Lopez 2/epi 2 at sub $7 would have to be the buy on the planet today. :rotfl:

Fair, but Lanceros are the real difference.  "IF" you can even find them.

Cohiba Lancero: $625-650

Trinidad Fundadores: $400-450

Monte Especiales $350-400

Most NC Lanceros 200-300.  I find more boutique NC brands are starting to embrace the lancero, corona and lonsdale at reasonable prices while Cuba continues to get rid of them.  My two favorite cigars at the moment aside from my NC Caldwell lanceros 85 for $750 are JSK Tyrannical Buc Connecticut Corona at $8 and Warped Cloud Hopper Corona at $6.  Make Cuban Lanceros Great Again.... and reasonably priced.  

• Like 1

I was in a conference yesterday, and decided to visit a local B&M for a smoke. Customarily bought some sticks prior to heading to the lounge area. I paid $26 for two stick (Tabernacle #124 and an Avo Domaine #10 tubo) I consider these good smokes, but for the price I paid for them I could have purchased a single Connie A and a BBF... If that was available in this B&M, it would not have been a contest. Complete mismatch at that price. I'd actually have trouble picking them over an Epi or JL#2.

I know some people here are saying that they find cheap NCs that are good. I've tried to find them, but the NC world is so hard to navigate. decently priced NCs never works out for me, and I feel really led astray by other's opinions or reviews. Really unmotivated to try more when there's a ton of wasted hours and money on so many dog rocket experiences. So, for NC I tend to stay well above $8 per stick (online prices), just because I know what I enjoy at that range (even though they don't blow me away). How many CCs under $8 (also online prices) per stick would I be happy to buy boxes of? I'd honestly be OK if my entire collection was made up of CCs under $8 per stick. $8 per stick is $200 per 25 box, for reference.

• Like 1

On 7/18/2019 at 6:01 AM, HumidorJuan said:

Ok then let me rephrase this. my top NCs of the past few years: wise man Maduro, my father opulenica, rocky Patel edge maduro 60, Alec Bradley estelli, Fuente opus x lost city, fuente hemingway work of art, annnnnnnnnd I found them all great BUT all one note flavours throughout the maduros, and the others, they don’t evolve like Cubans do over the course of smoking them. IMHO. I summed it up with the estelli because that’s what was in my hand at the time I posted. Would love to hear some NC recommendations from you. 

Non cubans have much more evolution than cubans.  Not saying that is a good thing. Cubans have slight evolutions while non-cubans have fairly major evolutions.  It is in the way they make the cigars.  Where cubans use nothing but long filler (hence slight evolutions s you smoke thru the leaves) non-cubans include short and mid length leaf into their cigars.  Hitting different type of leaves throughout the smoke results in significant flavor evolution.      Having said that, I prefer the cuban slow evolution.   But to say cubans have more evolutions than non-cubans is incorrect.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Monterey said:

Where cubans use nothing but long filler  non-cubans include short and mid length leaf into their cigars.

Every cigar produced in Cuba uses nothing but long filler, and every cigar produced outside of Cuba includes short and mid filler?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Monterey said:

Non cubans have much more evolution than cubans.  Not saying that is a good thing. Cubans have slight evolutions while non-cubans have fairly major evolutions.  It is in the way they make the cigars.  Where cubans use nothing but long filler (hence slight evolutions s you smoke thru the leaves) non-cubans include short and mid length leaf into their cigars.  Hitting different type of leaves throughout the smoke results in significant flavor evolution.      Having said that, I prefer the cuban slow evolution.   But to say cubans have more evolutions than non-cubans is incorrect.

Respectfully have to disagree on all of that. 

I've smoked hundreds upon hundreds of NC cigars that are flat and lack evolution. I've smoked a small number of Cubans that lack evolution.

As far as NCs using short and mid leaf filler, that's just not true. The vast majority of NCs use long filler just like Cuban cigars, and if they don't it's almost always disclosed either by the manufacturer or by media sites or magazines.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cigar Surgeon said:

As far as NCs using short and mid leaf filler, that's just not true. The vast majority of NCs use long filler just like Cuban cigars, and if they don't it's almost always disclosed either by the manufacturer or by media sites or magazines.

Including smaller pieces in a long filler cigar doesn't require disclosures.  Geesh.   I never said anything about non-cubans be void of long filler.   You clearly missed the point.

41 minutes ago, Monterey said:

Including smaller pieces in a long filler cigar doesn't require disclosures.  Geesh.   I never said anything about non-cubans be void of long filler.   You clearly missed the point.

Making breaks in long filler, such as breaking off the tips, is standard practice for CC and NC rolling. The way I read it seemed to say short and medium filler tobacco is used in NC cigar making. Little pieces of broken off long filler tobacco is not short and medium fill tobacco and I just wanted to make that clear. 

It may not be the point of what you posted, but I wanted to clarify for others who might read this discussion in the future.