Best pound for pound, dollar for dollar cigar of the decade?

On 7/15/2019 at 8:53 PM, Habana Mike said:

And that's why aside from the usual Alex, Reynaldo, Hector customs I stocked up on RAS, Trini Fundy and Coloniales last trip.

Couldn’t find any Fundy’s on either of my last trips!

6 hours ago, miamipadronsmoker said:

H Upmann Noella Jars 

Forgot about those. At the CUC price of 122.25 they're right behind RAS for best deal in the universe. Worldwide price, not so much. 

1 hour ago, La_Tigre said:

Couldn’t find any Fundy’s on either of my last trips!

None to be found in Nov 17 either. Also no CoLa, CoCE, Espy, Siglo V, Siglo VI. Tons of Siglo I, II and CoRo though. But that was right in the middle of the Cohiba wrapper shortage. Although they did hand out Siglo VI at the Partagas dinner. 

I'm going to throw the PL Picadores in the mix here, I just love them. For a higher price point Connie A's, as well as the Mag 54's which IMHO show amazing long term aging promise. If I were to pick one NC, the Warped Lirio Rojo is one of the very few NC's that are in regular, heavy rotation with me. 

2 hours ago, FatherOfPugs said:

Hmm....over the last 10 years...Cohiba Siglo III. Never a disappointment in any way. Yes expensive, and worth every penny. Just my $.02.

Most likely an unpopular opinion, but if we're basing it on personal experiences, that's my cigar of the decade. 

I'm with you in regards to the Siglo III in the Linea 1492 range. The great majority of these produced and sold in the last few years (with the Cohiba leaf shortage) would be Siglo I and II's. I've found the III's very consistent too in that time.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, FatherOfPugs said:

Hmm....over the last 10 years...Cohiba Siglo III. Never a disappointment in any way. Yes expensive, and worth every penny. Just my $.02.

Most likely an unpopular opinion, but if we're basing it on personal experiences, that's my cigar of the decade. 

I had an amazing tubo at Quinta y 16 and I will not touch the remaining 5 in the hold. Will be brawling over the next 24:24 offering. 

• Like 2

H Upmann Royal Robusto. I’d love it to be a Cohiba (maybe Espy or siglo 2) but sadly the Upmann rules them all.

Its also cheap as chips!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Duxnutz said:

H Upmann Royal Robusto. I’d love it to be a Cohiba (maybe Espy or siglo 2) but sadly the Upmann rules them all.

Its also cheap as chips!

Is that still in production? 

Looking over what people have come up with, it looks like the biggest hitters are

-PLMC

-Upmann Connie 1

-JL2

-Upmann Half Corona

Upmann as a marca, has been seriously impressive over the last 10yrs.    

• Like 1

Best pound-for-pound, dollar-for-dollar - if it really is about the fun-per-monetary-commitment factor (-bang for buck-) then it surely has to be shortfiller. Nothing beats the Favoritos in that regard, perhaps a well-aged Brevas or the JLP Petit Cetros for me. But as for consistency, price and quality - the Favoritos hits the homerun.

Longfiller - as others have said, has to be the RAS (while they were lacking a bit in the consistency department for me as for blending). RGP is excellent (as is the PC) but not exactly cheap considering the size (well, compared to a Monte 5 or Sig1 it is...). The Upmann Regalias seems to have turned a corner from mediocre to surprisingly nice, with the axing of the PC. Time will only tell us about their future consistency, so perhaps a contender for next decade if the folks in Havana can (are willing to) keep the standard...

• Like 1

Man I cannot believe the love for the Connie 1s here...it’s among my least favorite Cuban cigars. I’ll have to buy a single at next opportunity to retry. To me C1 is so light in strength and no complexity of flavors at all. Throw in some burn and construction issues and yuck for me.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Buck14 said:

Man I cannot believe the love for the Connie 1s here...it’s among my least favorite Cuban cigars. I’ll have to buy a single at next opportunity to retry. To me C1 is so light in strength and no complexity of flavors at all. Throw in some burn and construction issues and yuck for me.

Try an H.Upmann Connie No. 1 with at least 4-5 years of age on it and it will completely change your mind. 

2 hours ago, Duxnutz said:

Yessir.

Interesting!  I hadn't thought about that cigar much but is the general consensus that the current runs are on the same level as the early production that was generating all the raves?

Best pound for pound, dollar for dollar cigar of the decade?

RASS: Weighs more than a PLPC and if you gave it 5-7 years, it would be wonderful.

SIGLO III: Lonsdale at 10 years, higher price, especially if it was tubo, would do it for me.

Partagas 898: Lonsdale at 10? years. Let’s just say, mmmmmmmmm.

Thanks for asking and setting great specs.

CB

• Like 1

Looking at my smoking diary, courtesy of Cuban Cigar Website, MUR FEB '13 RASS have been consistently good. The cigars are regular production  so the price is similar to all RP robustos. The RASS has been a go to staple for me for a while. 

Monte Cristo #4 and of course, the PLPC are also great and not too dear and with time can develop into tremendous smokes.  But I don't find the PC vitola has the bang of the robusto so I'll throw in with the RASS for bang for the buck. 

• Like 2

On 7/20/2019 at 8:52 AM, Buck14 said:

You've had bad luck. 16-18 examples have been solid but I'm aware of some issues with them between 13-15. I will say I've had some issues with dark wrappers on these. They seem to lose quite a bit of the shortbread character and become a bit spicier. You want Colorado or lighter, but avoid pale. Rob's HQ is usually exactly what I want.

As for strength, I can't recall a bland one in ages. That's not an issue I've run into with them. 

If you still have trouble stick to the Connie A. I do like it more, but Connie 1 has been so solid for 2/3 the price I just keep going for them. 

On 7/20/2019 at 8:52 AM, Buck14 said:

You dislike PLPCs AND Connie 1s? That's tough.