Le Hoyo Des Dieux BUM NOV 13

17 minutes ago, ohbob976 said:

just curious what RH do you generally store your cigars at? do you generally drybox everything before you smoke?

I store at 65% Bovedas,   I only usually dry box in the summer, as even thought the north of the UK is very stable,  we currently have a few steamier days which may have sent the cigar over the edge.     

19 minutes ago, nKostyan said:

The excellent ash made me doubt the conclusions about excessive humidity...

There could be a chance this specific cigar just needed many more years ageing.   I have two other boxes of Dieux from 2012, and they heavy tannic wood, and ammonia smell on the bundles, is still way too overpowering to consider smoking them. 

There could be a chance this specific cigar just needed many more years ageing.   I have two other boxes of Dieux from 2012, and they heavy tannic wood, and ammonia smell on the bundles, is still way too overpowering to consider smoking them. 

I'm not a big fan of Hoyo, but everything I smoked didn't have ammonia even in the early years. Traditionally, this is a brand with a low strenght?

6 hours ago, nKostyan said:

Traditionally, this is a brand with a low strenght?

I would agree with the rest of HDM line, but not Des Dieux (and arguably not the Especial, the ones i've had have been dark and strong),   i would describe the 'ammonia'  in the DD, as a specific tannic sour dry tasting wood flavour.   As I mentioned in the review, it can be overwhelming, and you can smell it off the foot of the bunch

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 99call said:

Jeez, 7 years of age and they are not ready for smoking? Any box in my humidor from 2012 is smoking just fine, although I don't have any DD

I would agree with the rest of HDM line, bit not Des Dieux (and arguably not the Especial, the ones i've had have been dark and strong),   i would describe the 'ammonia'  in the DD, as a specific tannic sour dry tasting wood flavour.   As I mentioned in the review, it can be overwhelming, and you can smell it off the foot of the bunch

Excellent, I need to try it

8 minutes ago, NYgarman said:

Jeez, 7 years of age and they are not ready for smoking? Any box in my humidor from 2012 is smoking just fine, although I don't have any DD

The previous 20 from the box have smoked well (if not very woody).  But this one was overpoweringly tannic. And without the characteristic soft vanilla.  It may just be a blend thing.  des Dieux is one of the few cigars I would not think twice about ageing for 20yrs plus. I wouldn't say the same of Gourmet. Dauphin, Prince, Maire, Roi or Depute

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 99call said:

I store at 65% Bovedas,   I only usually dry box in the summer, as even thought the north of the UK is very stable,  we currently have a few steamier days which may have sent the cigar over the edge.     

It's certainly been a steamy one today! I came in from wok just after 9pm and briefly considered a smoke but I'd have been fighting it all the way on a night like this.

Very nicely written review, thanks for sharing!