Battle of Two Popular V-Cutters: XIKAR VX2 vs Colibri V-Cut

As we know, XIKAR's first V-Cutter, VX received huge amount of negative reviews compared to Colibri V-Cut as VX couldn't cut deeply. Now, XIKAR's brand new V-Cutter, VX2 seems to be successful and popular as Colibri V-Cut since VX2 can cut deep like Colibri's. Because of this, I really like to know which V-Cutter is good for all sizes of cigars (Thin-Thick RG, Figurados like Pyramid). XIKAR VX2 or Colibri V-Cut?

• Like 2

Never used a XIKAR, but the Colobri V-cut has always been stellar & is my everyday cutter. It works great up to about 54rg. 

RE: Pyramids, it'd always recommend using a straight/guillotine cut for those.

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Tstew75 said:

Never used a XIKAR, but the Colobri V-cut has always been stellar & is my everyday cutter. It works great up to about 54rg. 

Thanks! For Guillotine Cutters, I'm thinking about buying XIKAR Xi1 or Enso (will be released on this year).

Note. I might consider Cuban Crafter's Perfect Cutter Dos Chabetas for Guillotine Cutter but it doesn't ship internationally so I have to use freight forwarding logistics which can be complicated and expensive.

I have both and prefer the Colibri mostly due to the less bulky design.  They both work really well tho.  The Colibri cut is deeper whereas the Xikar cut is wider. 

The deep Colibri cut can be too much on smaller rg cigars however. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tstew75 said:

Personally I only use v cuts on pyramids.  I love how it lets you maintain the tapered head while cutting deep enough for a great draw. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, SigloVI said:

Personally I only use v cuts on pyramids.  I love how it lets you maintain the tapered head while cutting deep enough for a great draw. 

I agree and the reason why I often v-cut pyramids. 

• Like 1

Used a Dos Chabetas for almost everything until I was gifted a Colibri V-Cut for Xmas one year. I've used nothing else since. Use it for everything, including pyramids, as I never go above a 54 ring gauge.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SigloVI said:

Interesting. I'll revisit this on my next piramides. 

I have both. The Colibri seems to stay sharper but you have to be really careful with the thinner cigars or you cut off way too much.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SigloVI said:

I have both and prefer the Colibri mostly due to the less bulky design.  They both work really well tho.  The Colibri cut is deeper whereas the Xikar cut is wider. 

The deep Colibri cut can be too much on smaller rg cigars however. 

2 hours ago, Lotusguy said:

I have both. The Colibri seems to stay sharper but you have to be really careful with the thinner cigars or you cut off way too much.

Interesting! Should I get Colibri V-Cut instead of XIKAR VX2?

4 hours ago, JohnS said:

I used to v-cut everything, but likewise now I tend to use my Colibri V-Cut on piramides and belicosos cigars. The cutter is just perfect for these torpedo-type vitolas.

Thanks! What makes V-Cut great for Piramides and Belicosos cigars?

I’d get the Colibri. Been hearing bad things about Xikar’s warranty service since they got bought out as well.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LonesomeHabanoAficionado said:

You don't have to second guess where to place the V-Cutter whereas with a straight cutter you have to estimate where to cut the head of the torpedo cigar.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Lotusguy said:

I’d get the Colibri. Been hearing bad things about Xikar’s warranty service since they got bought out as well.

I'm surprised that many BOTLs upset about recent XIKAR's warranty and QC after being purchased by Quality Importers. What happened to XIKAR? I currently have their Executive II and it works really well like FOH lighter so far. If XIKAR still has dodgy QC and Warranty issues, I definitely buy others like Colibri V-Cut...

48 minutes ago, JohnS said:

You don't have to second guess where to place the V-Cutter whereas with a straight cutter you have to estimate where to cut the head of the torpedo cigar.

Thanks! Now I get what you mean, JohnS ?! V-Cut has fool proof feature like Punch Cutters but it can cut any cigar!

• Like 1

Everything is personal touch and opinion....

I would not purchase another Xikar product.

You can refer to my commentary

But I digress.

That being said. Since purchasing the Colibri V-cut. I have used it almost exclusively - everyday for the last couple of months. Practically every size/vitola cutting flawlessly. Including pyramids. 

In terms of the Cuban Cigar Cutter - Dos Chabetas - was less than enthralled with it. Has remained in its box. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, targa88 said:

Everything is personal touch and opinion....

I would not purchase another Xikar product.

You can refer to my commentary

But I digress.

That being said. Since purchasing the Colibri V-cut. I have used it almost exclusively - everyday for the last couple of months. Practically every size/vitola cutting flawlessly. Including pyramids. 

In terms of the Cuban Cigar Cutter - Dos Chabetas - was less than enthralled with it. Has remained in its box. 

Thank you for letting me know about this serious news. I didn't expect to see XIKAR suddenly go so low... I'm thinking about having Colibri V-Cut (currently using cheapo plastic Guillotine which is a bit flimsy).

Surprised to hear that you didn't like Cuban Crafters Dos Chabetas Perfect Cutter!

I have the VX2 and my friends have the Colibri and tbh the quality of the Colibri seems to be more solid than the xikar.

I used to swear by Xikar but as people have mentioned earlier it really has gone downhill since the acquisition.

I would recommend the Colibri 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, KavalanWhisky said:

I have the VX2 and my friends have the Colibri and tbh the quality of the Colibri seems to be more solid than the xikar.

I used to swear by Xikar but as people have mentioned earlier it really has gone downhill since the acquisition.

I would recommend the Colibri 

Thanks! Whoa, XIKAR must have serious problem in terms of QC and Warranty! Now I'm convinced to buy Colibri V-Cut!

• Like 2