Box Codes from the hip

Is there a thread here that teaches all about codes? Been smoking for a few years but new to codes and what they mean.  Thanks

• Like 1

You will be able to dig up some threads but it is mainly about the standout codes at a specific time/ period.

Dont get too wrapped up in it. It is just a guide.

I will start a thread for you on the subject over the weekend.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Anyone have an idea which Factory "REG" is?  REG is the abbreviated code for my ship (REGINA), and I'm keeping an eye out for a good REG FEB 19 box (to commemorate my ship's deployment that started in February 2019)........but I'd sure like to know which factory it is! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BoliDan said:

These are just factory codes. They tend to change around every 18 months. So, we are kept on our toes trying to figure out which factory our cigars are coming from. We will eventually figure out which factory some these codes belong to, and BAM! Habanos releases new codes.

Prez sees a lot of boxes so he is telling us, generally*, what new codes are producing quality cigars from the samples that he has seen. It's helpful because we have not smoked enough 2019 to have a productive discussion and educate each other yet.

Why is factory important? Factories just have different experience levels in rollers and quality control levels from management. You can still get high quality from other codes, but knowing which factories are consistently producing good sticks helps you make your decision at LCDH (or even 24:24) a little easier.

This makes a lot of sense, thanks for the insight.

16 hours ago, El Presidente said:

On my way home after a few days in the warehouse. Some outstanding cigars. 

Based on multiple mastercases checked of the same code, the leading codes haven't changed too much. if you are buying blind elsewhere, you won't go too far wrong with the following early 19 codes. 

ESL 

UEB

UTL

MSU

REG

MSA

TES

TOU

RUM

UBM

Thanks for the tip. Do you think some of these extend back into 2d half of 2018?

7 minutes ago, cigarzfan said:

Thanks for the tip. Do you think some of these extend back into 2d half of 2018?

I think all of these do. Looking at the list, these have been consistent right through the past 9 months. ESL and UEB being the standouts. 

The only code that has gone backward a touch has been LGR (La corona).  Then again they are rolling everything except White Owls right now. It is starting to show. 

• 4 weeks later...

I think I finally am starting to "get" codes. Got lucky with a box of Bolivar Coronas Juniors with MSU JUN 2018 and almost every single cigar in the box feels well rolled, counted 2 that might be too tight but I bet with some age the tobacco will dehydrate and the cigar will smoke fine.

Point being, MSU has been hailed as a good factory/code, and the quality of this box is reinforced here.  The tobacco has sheen, beautiful Colorado wrappers, and whilst I admit to breaking @El Presidente rule of waiting 30 days, there's quality bones to this sample cigar. Creaminess, woody, touch of earth and toasted tobacco, hints of nuts and leather. Hopefully ill be learning more about what good codes can predict good boxes. 

ill chalk this up to a win.

(smoked this on the rooftop of my Chicago Townhome, 73 degrees, paired with below average bourbon.

Anyone have an idea which Factory "REG" is?  REG is the abbreviated code for my ship (REGINA), and I'm keeping an eye out for a good REG FEB 19 box (to commemorate my ship's deployment that started in February 2019)........but I'd sure like to know which factory it is! 

Though to say. A while back, I thought it could be partagas factory as I saw so many Partagas boxes with that code. But it’s been confirmed that factory is MSU. I have several boxes of REG from different marcas. Talisman, a beauty cab of party shorts, and PL gran robusto regional. It’s been a solid code for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Ry27 said:

Got lucky with a box of Bolivar Coronas Juniors with MSU JUN 2018

You'll have a hard time finding current BCJ made outside of Partagas (...ETP, MSU). Still, they can be hit and miss to some extent, the code being - regrettably - not a guarantee for perfect construction. That said - I have a feeling that Partagas (FPG) seems to be on an up for the past few years  -notwithstanding some minor packaging issues ... :lol:

Congrats for finding these tasty morsels - a staple of mine - enjoy!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Hadroxity said:

My box of Siglo IV are BRE ABR 19. I haven’t seen the BRE code mentioned if it helps.

BRE has been getting some very good reviews with recent Connie 1's

10 hours ago, Fugu said:

Rob @El Presidente, what's happening to MOL - rank 4 on your Jan list, but now dropping out? Or just too little received? Seems to be a good code, still, in 2019.

To make the list I need to have seen 4 mastercases as a minimum. I can't recall a MOL in the last few months but I will check the records when in the warehouse on Tuesday. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, juri said:

isn't El Laguito UAO, i know it changes alot but last night i found a site that  listed witch factory each code stood for and was current up till today, trying to find it now

El Laguito is still UAO, before that AMO.

i got a box of monte 2 MSU 18 best box ive seen in years 
should also make a list of codes to avoid, picked up a box of trinidad coloniales from ENE 19 were underfilled with wrappers with slight green tint very disappointing 

What was the January factory code on the coloniales. I recall seeing a box of fundi like that in Cuba. Opened the next one and bam! Oily Colorado-maduro. Same code and month so not always a guide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk