What's the better decade; The 80s or the 90s?

:daydream:  AAHHH, the memories of the '80's and '90's.  I'd say the '80's probably has more haunting, heartfelt nostalgia for me. I was still in the military, stationed at Fort Dix, NJ,  still in my '20's, energy* energy* tireless energy! Driving to Atlantic City at 10pm, even 11pm on a work night; gambling and playing the one-armed bandits, listening to the latest hits on the radio, then driving back to the post, and reporting to formation at 4:30am. Then run P.T., deal with training, answer up to majors and Top Sergeants, have boundless "get-up-and-go", and after our day was reasonably over at about 2000hrs. (8pm) do it all again: And NO, wasn't on no illegal "stimulants" either! Just booze and smokes! 

• Like 2

Tough call. 80's for great hard rock and metal music. Some great movies too.   I was in high school.  The 90's sucked for music but I was in University and met a few longtime friends there. 

• Like 1

I was too young to REALLY enjoy the great music of the 80s...and when I was old enough to in the 90s it was all grunge crap...gotta go with the 80s plus the Niners took home 4 super bowls in that decade so that clinches it.

crap...edit:  I met my wife in the 90s...so lets call it a tie.

Edited by mbflash80
forgot something
  • Haha 3

I've a fondness for memories of the 80s, but also of the 90s - though these are personal. On a U.S. national, and world scale, some of the memories are much less fond.

Quick examples: Challenger explosion. Chernobyl. First World Trade Center bombing....

39 minutes ago, Colt45 said:

I've a fondness for memories of the 80s, but also of the 90s - though these are personal. On a U.S. national, and world scale, some of the memories are much less fond.

Quick examples: Challenger explosion. Chernobyl. First World Trade Center bombing....

Quick Challenger memory. Watched it live.  I had a Challenger model on top of my bookcase next to my bed.  After sitting through the replays and analysis I went to my bedroom to look at the model. It was a model with full launch pad, boosters, etc.  While I was watching the coverage,  the model fell from the top of the bookcase to the bed. And the booster rocket which was the root cause of the accident, had separated from the fuel tank.  ?. Spooky. 

• Sad 1

Was in high school early 80's. Definitely one of the best decades ever. Heavy metal rock and roll! Giants super bowl champs! No social media! Yup!

I spent the most of the 80s making <7000 a year, driving  a Chevette, smoking weed, drinking, skiing and going to dead shows. Oh and managed a degree in the process( 6 year Plan). Spent the 90s working hard, making a lot more money, got married, joined a country club, didn’t ski for 7 years and barely saw the dead for the years up until Jerry passed. 

80s win for sure!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I’m with @wineguy for similar reasons. The 80’s were all about college and dirt biking - at least one of which I excelled at. Good times. In the 90’s I mistakingly concluded I should grow up, so I sold my beloved highly modified Honda XR500 and bought a set of golf clubs. It took most of the decade to realize what an idiot I had been.

• Haha 1

Gotta be the 80's. So many memories, both good and bad, but mostly good.

For me, I remember the 80's for the music, movies, first time I kissed a girl (and got to see the full monty as well!), first time I traveled overseas, meeting 2 of my closest friends (who I still see to this day nearly every month). Too many good memories.

Don't get me wrong, the 90's were good too (I was a teen by then and it was also my uni years), but the 80's had sweeter memories.

2 hours ago, NYgarman said:

l rock and roll! Giants super bowl champs! No social media! Yup!

even the skins got a couple of superbowl wins in the 80s. that was back during that long era when the only question was which NFC East team would win the lot (with the bears making an impressive cameo and the 49ers sticking their nose in as well). other than the iggles of course. and the pats were the easybeats of the comp. strange days indeed. 

48 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

to be fair...a real girl. 

Do you still miss Lolita?

Image result for blow up dolls of the 80s

Ahhh, Lolita. My only real relationship. It was love at first inflation... :rotfl:

• Like 1

ps - a bloke i knew kept one in the car. he called it glove box love. 

he was a very strange person. had five serious car accidents in the first couple of years of having a licence. accepted responsibility for four of them but defended the fifth in court. it was a single car accident. caused major damage.

his defence? and i am not making this up. they built the house too close to the road, therefore, they were equally to blame. i did enjoy the 80s. 

58 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

80's

Miami Vice, Pastels, Wendy James (Transvision Vamp), 

I'll see your Wendy James, and raise with Susanna Hoffs (The Bangles). :love:

• Like 1