Monsdale 2016 HLRW

This single has been bouncing around in my humidor for a few years now. It got snipped, and the draw was too tight, so its sat for the last couple years. I purchased a full bundle of these in November 2016, but I don't think this stick is from that bundle. Those cigars have wrappers that look very different, but they have been hit and miss from an enjoyment perspective. 

Not much on the cold draw, which is still tight, but hopefully manageable. The wrapper is covered in green spots and even has a nearly 2" long green "stripe" along a very prominent vein. The roll is also very inconsistent, lumpy to be more accurate, I think this is where the draw issues are coming from. Its difficult to see in the photo but there is also a longitudinal "whole" through the first 2" or so of the cigar, which somehow doesn't help with the draw. 

IMG_20190719_1949510.thumb.jpg.ff15130829f747c012346e1a2543dd1d.jpg

IMG_20190719_1950067.thumb.jpg.ff9eb72771489d703887811a9f09f2c5.jpg

IMG_20190719_1950181.thumb.jpg.a47f90aeb13ca568380b09586199e798.jpg

IMG_20190719_1950393.thumb.jpg.660428babf721d3fafbca8f30281fdc6.jpg

Upon lighting the draw is very "Spongey" it takes two or three hard, full draws to "fill" the cigar with smoke before I get anything out of it. Despite removing at least a half leaf of tobacco with the perfecdraw, the draw continued to worsen. If I had been getting any enjoyable flavors out of the cigar, I might have continued trying to baby it, but it just wasn't worth my time and effort. There was some slight marshmallow sweetness accompanied by overwhelming bitterness that coated the pallet. That's it. 

IMG_20190719_2036500.thumb.jpg.afbee4d584ba7334a9268151f522cc91.jpg

The worst cigar I have smoked in recent memory. A complete failure in every respect. Very disappointing. I have been lucky enough to enjoy a few Real Monsdales, and un lucky enough to smoke several rolled since his passing. They just aren't the same. 

• Like 4

Dayum!  Looks like you took the term "leper" quite literally.  I wouldn't call those "spots" so much as "lesions."  I suggest a healthy dose of antibiotics. 

You really took one for the team.    

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Monterey said:

Not familiar with this, is the monsdale from club havana?

Correct. Named after Enrique Mons. He was the roller there until his passing. (In 2015 I believe) there have been two rollers at Club Habana since, both have continued rolling the Lonsdale size. Supposedly with the same blend, but definitely not the same skill. 

2 hours ago, rcarlson said:

Dayum!  Looks like you took the term "leper" quite literally.  I wouldn't call those "spots" so much as "lesions."  I suggest a healthy dose of antibiotics. 

You really took one for the team.    

I smoke Jose Piedras regularly and this is still the ugliest wrapper I've ever seen.