Libation Recommendations

Hola Amigos.  Headed down to south Florida for a much needed vacation.  Brought a variety of Montes and HDM's. Generally speaking, any recommendations for a nice drink to enhance my relaxation with the aforementioned marqas?  Muchas Gracias!

2 hours ago, Fuzz said:

I have yet to try it myself, but then again, I'm picky about my OJ.

After watching the FOHrensics, I tried it.  OJ pairs well with cigars- well, RASS and SLR Regios at least.  However, I felt the OJ was overpowering and left a coating on the tongue which was tart and sugary and though it didn't mask any flavors of the cigar I didn't think it enhanced them either.  Interesting to try, but I still just drink a glass of tap water when I smoke.  It's just what I like the best in general.  That being said, @99call posted a recipe for a Palmoma not too long ago and I've enjoyed them the few times I made them.

• Like 1

Get a great bottle of Bourbon, pour into glass, drink, repeat. No ice, water, club soda, stones,etc. Best accompaniment to a cigar (unless you wanna upgrade to Rye).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MD Puffer said:

After watching the FOHrensics, I tried it.  OJ pairs well with cigars- well, RASS and SLR Regios at least.  However, I felt the OJ was overpowering and left a coating on the tongue which was tart and sugary and though it didn't mask any flavors of the cigar I didn't think it enhanced them either.  Interesting to try, but I still just drink a glass of tap water when I smoke.  It's just what I like the best in general.  That being said, @99call posted a recipe for a Palmoma not too long ago and I've enjoyed them the few times I made them.

I tried a Mimosa and it went well.

The word ‘Libation’ reminds me of that cigar show with the loud mouth. Hated the word ever since! 

Answering the question: Diplomatico anejo Reserva w/ one ice cube (prob hot there in FL). Zaya is decent too. I like rum in summer or a cocktail (usually a Manhattan). 

I’m told it’s called a French Connection; I called myself creating a mixed drink only to discover I wasn’t the first.

Equal parts Grand Marnier and Burboun (Elijah Craig, for me). Splash of citrus juice - pineapple for the sweeter side, grapefruit for a tartier taste, OJ for a nice blend of the two.

Shaken or on the rocks.

Pairs very well with the RASS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I’ve always been partial to champagne as a cigar pairing especially with the more delicate flavors of Cubans. The bubbles do a nice job of cleansing the pallet between puffs and I find the flavor notes to be found between both cigars and champagne share a lot of similarity. You can also pair champagne well to the cigar you are smoking; for fruitier cigars, try a champagne with a higher percentage of Pinot Meunier in the blend as the grape is known for the fresh fruit it adds. Conversely, a stronger cigar may take better the brooding power of a Pinot Noir heavy Blanc de Noir. Oh and don’t forget the Rose options available!

Hoyo de Monterrey calls me towards a Blanc de Blanc, perhaps one with a little age on it. As with cigars, vintage options can be significantly more expensive. 

On 7/22/2019 at 9:06 PM, Fuzz said:

All at once?

Yes all at once. I love a negroni or boulevardier with a cigar, mostly because I like the bitterness of the campari, though maybe it is just the balance of the entire drink. Since oj seems to be a popular pairing, I was wondering whether a campari mimosa would be a winner as well. I have no excuse for having not tried it myself other than I have been smoking most of my cigars on the golf course and not near my home bar as of late.