Hoyo de Monterrey Epicure Especial UGO JUL 18 (HLRC)

So this isn't a review of a horrible cigar, but with the funky humidity that hit California (and much worse for the rest of the country), this Epicure Especial from @slowsmoke (thanks man) turned into a wrapper nightmare.

It has to be said that this cigar already had a thin wrapper and maybe me keeping it at 60 RH just exacerbated the problem.

But all was fine till I went out on my local course and lit up. Then it all went bad. Just started crumbling.

20190721_154139.thumb.jpg.8c783c7d2eb5b87ee92a453cdca788e3.jpg

I smoked it slowly and deliberately though, and even though it started to look crappy, it actually tasted okay. First third was burnt coffee cream.  Not too bad.

Next third was surprisingly good, burnt taste gone and I was getting full on cream and espresso. However, as you can see, this cigar is a cousin of @lovethehaze Punch Punch (see his review).

20190721_162736.thumb.jpg.9cb8e7ffdfd98856499e2b579b5de5c3.jpg

The beginning of the last third was more of the same good flavor, so even if my golf game generally sucked today, i was as happy as a clam! Made a few great puts too and won a soda and chips prize from my golf buddies.

20190721_163504.thumb.jpg.055a7a3b36e29ff197287ee4e37c97ad.jpg

At that point, I knew it was over for this Especial. The humidity caused the cigar to swell. I couldn't even slide those bands off to save them.  Good bye Especial. 

Followed it up for the back 9 with a vanilla-y Partagas Shorts with a beautiful shiny wrapper, no problems whatsoever! 

20190721_184610.thumb.jpg.40fbc51df2f3466dde19dfa120f9cb80.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

I think it was perfect to smoke, being kept at 60RH in a tightly sealed Tupperdor, and then when I took it out this afternoon the humidity wreaked havoc on it.  When I took it out, it was almost on the crackly side, but that's how I like CCs, they smoke so well at  high 50s RH. 

Thanks, the Shorts was a great smoke, beautiful cigar, performed well.

On 7/22/2019 at 1:22 AM, MigsG said:

So this isn't a review of a horrible cigar, but with the funky humidity that hit California (and much worse for the rest of the country), this Epicure Especial

Yep! Typical cigar for summer in Florida for me. Can’t smoke outside down here in the summer during the day. You have to win the competition with that cigar! ???

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, crking3 said:

That looks like possibly one of the shorts I sent you from my cab emoji16.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's actually one of mine, a weird box, mostly vanilla, lacking coffee. '18 box. I tried this one after a month and still uber vanilla. I'll try one a month till it gets good.  

You want some? :D