tequila

Ken Gargett

Don't drink anything that isn't 100% agave.  

There are a lot of excellent examples out there but one I find very interesting is Herradura Selection Suprema.  

3 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

some patron, some don julio - the anejo but it does not mention 1492. some herraduras. i might have to wipe the dust away if these two don't do it for me.

I was about to write a post, asking what you've had to date......as tequila is classically the drink that gets shafted by the supermarkets.  i.e the worst examples are usually the only bottles available.  Simply placed there apologetically,  for party goers who strangely want tequila to hurt!?  It really makes me sad seeing people doing the salt and lime thing, like they are being forced to drink meths. 

I would say Patron is a bit of a fad, and hyped well above it's actual quality,  but I'm surprised to see Don Julio didn't even turn your head a little.    As you pointed out from the start, maybe you just don't like the stuff.    I would say the bigger percentage of people who ward it off with a crucifix, have simply drank terrible tequila.  Lord knows what everyone would thing of rum, if Bundaberg was their first experience, or if Bells was their first Whisky experience......both being rancid firewater. 

I would strongly recommend Jose Cuervo 1800 Anejo,  as the tequila most likely to turn a non believer, that and Arrete Anejo

As for a cigar to pair, something light and sweet.  QDO Coronas, Trini Coloniales, LGC Med 4

I would say enjoy.....but it sounds like thats not going to happen

1800-anejo-tequila.jpg

arette-anejo-tequila.jpg

16 minutes ago, 99call said:

Haha just saw this.......brilliant,   when looking to bully in new tequila customers.....there is no one better than Ray Liotta........well maybe Joe Pesci

good ad (perhaps clint 25 years ago?). but it is a bit rich to diss on guys with pink drinks when he is getting a drink from a pretty frosted blue bottle. 

38 minutes ago, 99call said:

I was about to write a post, asking what you've had to date......as tequila is classically the drink that gets shafted by the supermarkets.  i.e the worst examples are usually the only bottles available.  Simply placed there apologetically,  for party goers who strangely want tequila to hurt!?  It really makes me sad seeing people doing the salt and lime thing, like they are being forced to drink meths. 

I would say Patron is a bit of a fad, and hyped well above it's actual quality,  but I'm surprised to see Don Julio didn't even turn your head a little.    As you pointed out from the start, maybe you just don't like the stuff.    I would say the bigger percentage of people who ward it off with a crucifix, have simply drank terrible tequila.  Lord knows what everyone would thing of rum, if Bundaberg was their first experience, or if Bells was their first Whisky experience......both being rancid firewater. 

I would strongly recommend Jose Cuervo 1800 Anejo,  as the tequila most likely to turn a non believer, that and Arrete Anejo

As for a cigar to pair, something light and sweet.  QDO Coronas, Trini Coloniales, LGC Med 4

I would say enjoy.....but it sounds like thats not going to happen

i will say i did enjoy both the two i mentioned. quality spirits. that said, at around A$150 each, i'd be spending the dosh elsewhere. i reckon i can get a way better (or perhaps i should say more enjoyable) malt or rum for that money. 

but it really is a personal preference thing at this level. i can see people preferring these. i'd hate to see them tipped into cocktails though. 

good ad (perhaps clint 25 years ago?). but it is a bit rich to diss on guys with pink drinks when he is getting a drink from a pretty frosted blue bottle. 

Yep, agree slight stereotyping,  but fun non the less.    Just the best narrating voice ever.   Scorsese has drafted in DeCaprio who is very good at it, but still in Liotta's shadow

A$150 each

Wow!    yep that price is over double what we'd be paying in the UK.     

Tequila in particular seems to very susceptible to investors trying to create 'luxury spirits' overnight, See Tres Generaciones or Casa Mexico being fronted by Oscar De La Hoya. I think the quality of these spirits, is similar to David Beckhams Haig Club  i.e  a horrid flop 

Sadly tequila will always be bonded to the "slamming crowd" as they simply make so much money out of it.    I would be really interested to see what percentage of sales are Silver compared to the reposado and anejo

My favorite is Gran Cava de Oro extra Anejo. Problem is I can hardly ever find it. Chicago liquor stores say they can order it and always send my $$ back. Supposedly it can be bought in San Diego but I havent found anyone to buy it and ship it to me. I have a friend that goes to Mexico city twice a year and he brings me a bottle every other time.

My new second choice is Suavecito Anejo. A new up and comer in Indiana but surprisingly smooth for the price point.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

There are many excellent premium and ultra-premium Tequila brands.  Some are quite established like Don Julio, Herradura, and Padron.   In the last 15-20 years many other brands have hit market and may not be as well distributed even in the US.  Cabo Wabo is a good one, but I don't see it locally like I use to a decade ago.

Mexico has several brands that aren't well sold at all in US.  My parents lived in Mexico part time for 25 years and would bring home some unique bottles for me every year.  The Mexican Naval Base PX would sell Don Julio for like $15 a bottle!

I prefer the extra smokiness and agave of the top shelf Mezcal's, but still don't want too much aging them.  Reposado is just perfect for mixed drinks or neat.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...