Effects of ozone generators on cigars.

awk6898

tldr: does ozone effect cigars?

Hey guys!

I'm setting up a smoking room in an addition off my house and my cabinet humidor will be sharing the room. I've done some searching around and it seems like one of the best ways to get rid of that lingering cigar smoke smell inside is to have good ventilation during the cigar and then use an ozone generator and/or air purifier for a period of time afterwards.

Unfortunately, my current cabinet isn't the most air tight but I've come to terms with it... It will hold humidity with the help of a cigar oasis, but it definitely is more drafty than I'd like.

With that being said, does anyone here have experience or a deeper knowledge of ozone and it's physical effects on cigars? Inevitably some ozone will make it's way into my humidor and I don't want negative effects on sticks that I plan on aging for years... I imagine the ozone generator will only be run once, maybe twice, a week as I'm not an every day smoker.

Thanks for the inevitable knowledge bombs I'm about to catch. (Also, if this is a topic that has been covered at length elsewhere on the forum I apologize for bringing it up again. I searched around but didn't find anything.)

Cheers guys!

981b8300474cda75c9a0edc53f11d78a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Live PD!! Not as good as the original (Cops) but still great viewing!

I have and Use an Ozone generator regularly. I storm my cigars in a different room than I run the generator. All the cigars are sealed up in wineadors or coolidors, so they shouldn't get any exposure to the ozone. I can't speak directly to Ozones affect on Cigars, but I've never read anything, anywhere that states high levels of Ozone are good for anything. Ozone is a essentially half of an oxygen molecule (O vs O2) and its such a good air purifier because it Rapidly oxidizes anything that is willing to accept an additional O molecule. AKA, most organic compounds. 

I doubt there is any Scientific research on the interaction between tobacco and Ozone, but if Tobacco is like any other organic compound, repeated exposure to elevated levels of Ozone won't be good for them.

• Like 2

if Tobacco is like any other organic compound, repeated exposure to elevated levels of Ozone won't be good for them.

That's kind of what I figured... looks like I may be investing in an air purifier fan for the day to day cigar and save the ozone machine for when the purifier and febreeze just isn't cutting it.

2 hours ago, awk6898 said:

That's kind of what I figured... looks like I may be investing in an air purifier fan for the day to day cigar and save the ozone machine for when the purifier and febreeze just isn't cutting it.

Might be time to get that wineador you've always wanted!

It's not a super big space. Maybe it won't need as many ozone treatments as I'm thinking... Plans are to eventually get rid of the carpet in exchange for hardwood and then swap out the couch for a leather recliner couch. 4ee8574efbf932ea4a64467e29db3044.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
What about a charcoal air filter?
I just picked one up the other day to try out!

• Like 1