El Presidente

Cigar Investment Article & cigar investment in general.

I have noted below an article on cigar investment which appeared earlier this month. It is not an in depth article by any means......so let's flesh it out. :ok:

If I were to give you a $100,000 USD credit to use solely for the purchase of cigars in order to sell in 2030 (11 years)...what would you put your money into?

Two  rules:

1.  They have to be available in the retail market today 

2. You must pick three cigars. 

https://stories.swns.com/news/top-tips-from-jurg-widmer-probst-on-finding-the-best-cigars-to-invest-in-104386/

Top tips from Jürg Widmer Probst on finding the best cigars to invest in

By
 Jess Young
 -

cigars-vintage-wooden-box-1637114-696x39

In some ways, buying cigars as an investment is similar to laying down a cellar full of bottles of great wine. The collector faces a number of big issues. 

One of these is having to invest in the right kind of storage to make sure the cigars don’t deteriorate over time. A good humidor can range from $500 to $30,000. The second is resisting the temptation to smoke your assets. 

But then there is a third challenge – and that is simply where to start. How do you choose cigars that represent the best investment, in terms of delivering the best potential returns in the future? To help you out, here are just a couple of tips on how to choose the best cigars to invest in today.

Always think Cuban

For cigar investors, it’s all about the Cuban makers. There is still nowhere else on the planet where all of the conditions for collectable cigars come together better. 

If you manage to find some Cuban cigars that date from before 1963, snap them up. That was the year of the embargo and any cigars from before then are hugely valuable.

Be wary of fakes

Like any kind of investment, speculating on cigars is all about assessing risk. Know what you are willing and able to lose if the worst happens and your investment doesn’t pay off. Of course one of the best ways to mitigate the risks associated with investing in cigars is to do your due diligence. 

When it comes to cigars, this isn’t just about knowing which cigars are likely to appreciate in value over time. It also about knowing how to spot a fake. Look at the packaging, the construction of the cigar, and question the seller thoroughly before you buy. 

The key here is to be very wary of anything that seems undervalued or too good to be true. It almost certainly is. 

But what about the cigars themselves? Here are a just couple of cigars that we think should be in any collector’s portfolio.

Cohiba Robustos Supremos Limited Edition 2014

This is a nice one to go for because it is still relatively easy to get a hold of. That’s not a situation that will last for this limited edition cigar. They were big sellers when they came out but numbers are now dwindling in the face of the high demand. Get yourself a box before the prices go through the roof.

The Romeo y Julieta Fabulosos No.2 Cigar

We love this one if only for the wonderful presentation. It’s already very sought after and doesn’t represent a cheap investment. 

But that initial outlay, we believe, will be more than worth it. They’re a great Cuban maker for one. 

Beyond that, the unique book style of the lacquered box only adds to their appeal. Expensive – but they are only set to get more so.

Jürg Widmer Probst

• Like 3

I’ll limit myself to widely available, Current Regular Production:

1. Cohiba Lanceros

2. Cohiba Esplendidos

3. Punch DC Cab

• Like 1

If you want to invest, you have to stay ahead of the curve. With that in mind, I'd stock up on some of those Vegas Robaina EL from that stock photo. Habanos SA hasn't even announced them yet... :fuel:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Buck14 said:

I’ll limit myself to widely available, Current Regular Production:

1. Cohiba Lanceros

2. Cohiba Esplendidos

3. Punch DC Cab

Lol, I was thinking your first two choices before I read your response.  But I’d personally go with Sir Winstons as #3.

• Like 3

Cohiba lanceros 

Trinidad fundadores 

And Sir Winstons 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, MD Puffer said:

Lol, I was thinking your first two choices before I read your response.  But I’d personally go with Sir Winstons as #3.

I’m with you... 

lanceros  espendidos and Winnies

• Like 1

If i had 100k, id probably be buying 60% of the regular stuff and 40% ELs/REs.

• Like 1

Retail market eh?

Cohiba Lancero. First it's a Linea Classica Cohiba which is always good. Second, with Habanos looking to make long and skinnies extinct, going deep on these ones are a good idea.

Trinidad La Trova.  Great price, great cigar. Seems to be building up a quiet following. Habanos tends to unceremoniously dump LCDH releases so good to go deep on too. 

Punch DC.  IMO the current king of 50 cabs. And they're a steal compared to all the fat RG double plus banders 

• Like 2

Cohiba Esplendidos

Sir Winstons

Special Edition Cohiba's like Behike/EL/GR, etc...

• Like 1

I’ll take Rob’s proposition as literal: $100K is alot of cigars. Cigars that are hard to source would be tough to include. I have never kept my own records but I invest for a living and my eyeballs tell me they would all be Cohiba. And can’t get a ton of Esplendidos, Lanceros, etc. So I will say: 

(1) Cohiba Robusto (I think a no-brainer)

(2) Cohiba Siglo VI (not easy to get but doable)

(3) HU Mag 46: I think an underrated aged cigar.*

*would probably have chosen another Cohiba with real money, but trying to think creatively.

If I were buying cigars to smoke myself, this list would be totally different. This is a flip list. 

• Like 3

Winnies 

Esplendidos or Lanceros

Fundies

For a curve ball...maybe Romeo Churchill or Ramon Allones Gigantes

• Like 1

Espléndidos 

Sir Winston 

Ramon Allones Gigantes.  I'm betting these get axed by Habanos by 2030.  I figure that's an instant return on investment. 

I'm reality, I'd invest that 100k elsewhere.  There's much better returns elsewhere, and I don't have to worry about storing those cigars. 

• Like 3

Siglo VI

Sir Winston

Trinidad La Trova

• Like 2

40% in CoRos

40% in Esplendidos

20% in PLPCs. Commands an above average age premium. And imagine the frenzy if they continue to cut PCs and it’s this one...

• Like 1

I would buy some fire retardant Epi 1's, the ones like I have currently where the wrapper doesnt burn. At least then I would be guaranteed to get some of the money back...

• Haha 3

•  2017 (UAO) Talisman
  •  2017 (UAO) Talisman
  •  2017 (UAO) Talisman
  • Haha 1

Current retail:

ERDM La Reina

ERDM Kon Tiki

Behikes

• Like 2

Cohiba Siglo VI

Cohiba Lancero

Any Cohiba EL

World is flat apparently...

That £58k H&F humidor thingy. 

Then Cohiba ELs, any you can find

Then Cohiba BHK 54 or 56

On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 8:03 PM, Astar20 said:

Cohiba lanceros 

Trinidad fundadores 

And Sir Winstons 

Exactly my choice.

**Would I get to sample some of them every now and then through the years to make sure they're aging properly? :ok:  :whistle: