Diplomaticos #2 TOS DIC 16 (HBFCRW)

Great review, man! Sounds like a different cigar from a young '18 Diplo 2 I had the other day. Mine was juicy, with a crisp bell pepper/sweet vegetable flavor.  Looks like age does wonders to this cigar.

I like the ashtray too!

It was definitely different from the young D2.  Definitely mellowed and blended.  Now that you mention it, that spice I referenced could’ve had a little bell pepper in it but I’m not savvy enough to pick that out.  At this stage in the journey, I should just stick with “would smoke again” or “wouldn’t smoke again”.  

I should’ve taken better notes on the younger D2.  I recall it being more complex. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Samysam said:

I have the same box. Will break into it soon

Be sure to post a review when you do.  I’m going to smoke a few more of these And compare to younger D2s to determine which I prefer.  I love the D2 either way but trying to determine which I like more, young or older. 

On 7/28/2019 at 1:59 PM, Thirds said:

That’s my experience as well.  You nailed it. 

Yes, when they were fresh I smoked half the box pretty much right away then saved the other half to age.  I was surprised to say the least. This reminds me that the La Fuerza from the same year were similar. Fresh they were great, 2 years on them, I honestly thought they sucked. And I wouldn’t say they were sick, they tasted dead. Based on my experience with cigars, they had nowhere to go but down. I could be wrong though, just my gut feeling  

I better get to smoking the older D2s.  Read something about a dead period on cigars?  Is that a thing?  No clue if they come back to life with more time. 

1 hour ago, Sandman said:

Yes, when they were fresh I smoked half the box pretty much right away then saved the other half to age.  I was surprised to say the least. This reminds me that the La Fuerza from the same year were similar. Fresh they were great, 2 years on them, I honestly thought they sucked. And I wouldn’t say they were sick, they tasted dead. Based on my experience with cigars, they had nowhere to go but down. I could be wrong though, just my gut feeling  

39 minutes ago, Thirds said:

I better get to smoking the older D2s.  Read something about a dead period on cigars?  Is that a thing?  No clue if they come back to life with more time. 

I wouldn’t say there is a dead period. If it’s dead it’s dead. Thing is though, this is so subjective. One persons dead cigar, may be another’s favorite at that stage. Myself, I like big, bold, rich flavors. These flavors often are found more often in fresher cigars, but of course old cigars too. I smoked an 01 Upmann corona last week that still has lots of strength, very rich, complex, but also very smooth. I haven’t the slightest clue what will happen with the D2’s in 10 years from now, but my gut says not good. I don’t taste the richness anymore, or the classic D2 blend. Just one dimensional, almost dry tasting, while still retaining strength. They were the opposite when fresh. They were great  

I’ve smoked D2’s from the mid 90’s, early 2000’s, through 2015. The D2 has a very distinct flavor, and it carries through with age. I don’t taste that in the 2015’s. 

In the case of the D2 from that time period, could a sick period, but only time will tell. If you are not loving them right now, I would say either sell them, or bury them and try in a few more years. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sandman said:

I wouldn’t say there is a dead period. If it’s dead it’s dead. Thing is though, this is so subjective. One persons dead cigar, may be another’s favorite at that stage. Myself, I like big, bold, rich flavors. These flavors often are found more often in fresher cigars, but of course old cigars too. I smoked an 01 Upmann corona last week that still has lots of strength, very rich, complex, but also very smooth. I haven’t the slightest clue what will happen with the D2’s in 10 years from now, but my gut says not good. I don’t taste the richness anymore, or the classic D2 blend. Just one dimensional, almost dry tasting, while still retaining strength. They were the opposite when fresh. They were great  

I’ve smoked D2’s from the mid 90’s, early 2000’s, through 2015. The D2 has a very distinct flavor, and it carries through with age. I don’t taste that in the 2015’s. 

In the case of the D2 from that time period, could a sick period, but only time will tell. If you are not loving them right now, I would say either sell them, or bury them and try in a few more years. 

I agree on the big bold rich flavors being a preference.  I experienced that with the younger D2 but didn’t get that with the older D2.  I still enjoyed the older D2 and it wasn’t a bad cigar I just took notice that the boldness that was enjoyed on the young D2 weren’t present.  And 2016 isn’t an old cigar by aging standards but it definitely calmed down quite a bit from the 2018. 

Thanks for the great reply. Much appreciated.